PDA

View Full Version : which clutch is best for drift???

JDM_KING
9th January 2009, 09:44 AM
hi,i just wanted some in put about which clutches are best for drifting,brand names and pak size would help???

ae86
9th January 2009, 09:50 AM
a clutch that works,

if u dont bash it all the time an origional will still be fine for learning with

johl
9th January 2009, 10:07 AM
i use exedy sports tuff cussioned button. its my daily aswell and i think its an excellent clutch. i only got the 200mm version and its fine behind my ze. not so fun in heaps of traffic but its still not that bad for what it is. awesome on the track too.
for the price you cant really beat it

JDM_KING
9th January 2009, 11:39 AM
sounds good how mach are they going 4???

redsprinter
9th January 2009, 11:52 AM
how much power you making ?

this will determine what clutch you need.

heavy duty will be enough when your learning ...

Konakid
9th January 2009, 02:51 PM
what motor?

4age? Turbo?

biggo
9th January 2009, 05:11 PM
I dunno about you guys but i love my organics

have a HD 200mm one behind the gte, never slipped once. THey dont last long tho :(

ToySprinta
9th January 2009, 05:56 PM
I'm running a 212mm, biggest problem i had was busting the springs out of the centres. I've gone a solid centre now, they last a lil bit longer, but i've already snapped the rivets off on one. On my 6th clutch in 2 years :(

johl
9th January 2009, 06:19 PM
i think it cost me $300 with spigot i think. i cant remember. just go into bursons and say hey i got quoted 320 for one at repco or whatever, can you beat it and eventually they will

v-tec
9th January 2009, 08:38 PM
Just a general heavy duty from excedy or something will do fine. If you are running a standardish 4age and a t50, you dont want anything thats going to chew out your gearbox.

I run a 4 puck excedy and my gearbox is starting to show the wear from it, but to be fair ive been running this for about 2 years with none stop drift days, countless clutch kicks and about 1 oil change.

The plan for my gze is a heavy duty though

Robo86
10th January 2009, 01:34 AM
extreme heavy duty. never failed

slydar
10th January 2009, 08:42 AM
yeah, try to avoid a puck style unless you think you really need it. the more positive bite is nicer at the track, but just a heavy duty cover with the standard center should hold the power of most mild set ups and wont break your gearbox so fast.

JDM_KING
11th January 2009, 12:56 AM
does having a heavy duty clutch put striane on the gear box????

R&D Mechanical
11th January 2009, 12:49 PM
get the heavyest one you can and pop that T50!

im using extream HD one

driftke70
14th January 2009, 04:16 PM
ogura for me, i ran the setup slydar speaks of behind by 16v, trouble free for a long time, almost 2.5 years or something, only trouble i ever had was one day at archy it got over heated when me and mumblezzz did like 50 laps in a row, but worked fine again after.

Simon-KE70
14th January 2009, 04:20 PM
extreme clutches have to be the shittiests clutches around... soooo many fails from them.

exedy is the go, all my cars have run them and never had a prob

Konakid
14th January 2009, 04:54 PM
extreme clutches have to be the shittiests clutches around... soooo many fails from them.

exedy is the go, all my cars have run them and never had a prob

Agreed!! But what breakages have you heard of?

I'm going exedy race organic 212mm and 4.1 fly behind 16v, should be sweet.

Simon-KE70
14th January 2009, 05:00 PM
recently i just swapped a clutch in a mates s13, the extreme clutch had welded itself to the flywheel... the car has stock SR20 power (130 ish rwkw) and driven pretty sedatly and clutch never slipped....

also seen a few shatter, or just plain slip from day one

R&D Mechanical
14th January 2009, 08:54 PM
Agreed!! But what breakages have you heard of?

I'm going exedy race organic 212mm and 4.1 fly behind 16v, should be sweet.

Have you ever run one before?

Do you always believe what others say?

I have shattered one extream before with a 4k.

James86
14th January 2009, 09:24 PM
OS GIKIN

i broke a cusco one pretty good, cracked flywheel. I chose OS because of all the rave reviews on them and rebuild kits are available for them. I don't drift but it bites like hell, pedal feel isnt that heavy and is still fine for street which is unusual for most twin plates. Initial outlay is the downfall but you'll never break one.

Sherlock
14th January 2009, 09:52 PM
Got offered an Excedy 4-Puck, tossing up if I should get it, or just get another heavy duty. Got a light flywheel too, do you guys reckon a 4-puck would be heaps jerky? Wear on gearbox is inevitable either way :P

Only had Heavy Duty so wondering what to do...

slydar
15th January 2009, 12:29 AM
yeah no need for puck.

i run a 212 now, with a trd cover and normal organic full face disc and its great. hooks up good, cover is decent heavy so that helps with pedal feel.

most puck clutches arent really toooo bad to drive. but its driveline stress you dont need if youre not making the power.

re the os giken. ive had an os giken super single before. ridiculous. like so stupid. really quite dangerous to drive in traffic ect. very easy to stall even driving it every day... just done see the point. track only, with a really strong gearbox.. maybe.. but i hated sometimes.. sounds cool though.

tuff te-72
15th January 2009, 12:50 PM
yea im also lookin to change to replace my clutch but im not sure if my gearbox suits the 4age clutches aswell. im running a 3t with a t-50 behind it so does that mean i can be a 4age one and put it in?

also is mine 200???

thnaks for help

Konakid
15th January 2009, 06:40 PM
Have you ever run one before?

Do you always believe what others say?

I have shattered one extream before with a 4k.

No i haven't due to:

Aaron shattered his clutch disc to pieces on an apparent "drift clutch" behind a mild 200rwkw rb20.

C1's just started randomly slipping on his 3t a few years ago and had glazed over after a year or two of use, still had 90% meat left on it.

heard a few others stories that i can't remember too.

The setup im getting is only 140 more to get an Exedy over Extreme so i thought why not.

R&D Mechanical
15th January 2009, 10:04 PM
thats alright then do you think its best for price and quality?

Simon-KE70
15th January 2009, 10:06 PM
thats easy.

exedy. as people have mentioned. dont need a puck

R&D Mechanical
15th January 2009, 10:14 PM
no puck even for heavy skids?

Simon-KE70
15th January 2009, 10:17 PM
not if ur using a Tree fiddy.

if u are using a W box then go your hardest. my blue car (in avatar) ran an exedy 5 puck with W box and 20V motor, loved it, gave it the biggest hiding possible while it was NA and then i turboed it and never had probs either

Hokey
16th January 2009, 01:39 AM
puck is helpful in under powered cars. i find they just kick a little harder to get things happening especially when there's heavy clutch work involved. is bad on the gearbox though

skit
16th January 2009, 10:17 AM
Anyone know the limitations of pressure plate thrust load that a 4age crank can withstand?

From what I have been told, some example pressure plate loads are:

300kg standard
600kg exedy
800kg trd
1000kg modified trd pressure plate (custom item)

I have read of people going to 1200kg for drift, although I do not know if this is actually true.

I have yet to use my new clutch yet, but after talking at length with Western Clutch, we agreed either 800 or 1000kg would be the go. I went with 1000kg, but am a little worried about the thrust load on the crank.

Surprised to hear Simon strongly advocate the use of a non puck, but I guess he has the experience to back up the claim.

I suppose if your car is set up well (and you have good technique) then the demand on your clutch is less. I'm at the other end of the scale, as a relative noob I used to use it like a monkey, but the new clutch and conversion to +turbo will prove to be a T50 eater I think.

Simon-KE70
18th January 2009, 05:03 PM
the better you get the less you rely on the clutch. but yeah it depends on the application also. If its a street car that sees track thrashing then full face is the go. if its track car that rarely see's street use then puck is the win.

as for the PP rating question, no idea on that one, 300 kgs seems really piss weak for stock haha but im used to nissans now where the stock rating is a bit higher, my skyline has a 1500 kg GTR exedy 5 puck clutch in it, still very driveable but peddle is quite firm.

my first blue 86 had a crazy built na 4age in it.. also had a 3 puck TRD clutch and that thing was like a light switch... either off or on.

Juturna
18th January 2009, 10:41 PM
why would you go a full face if your going to skid it? go a 5 puck button or something simmilar.
i mean really, you buy a good clutch for bite, and they arent bad for daily driving if you harden the fuck up and get over it. it will only fuck your gearbox if your shit and rape it.
going a HD full face is like fucking men..... GAY.

marvis
18th January 2009, 10:46 PM
I'm looking at a Exedy Heavy Duty Cushion Button for my Celica at the moment.

DearmanKE
18th January 2009, 11:33 PM
got an exedy hd behind my 4k n it loves the chirpies haha

Johnny_K
19th January 2009, 01:43 AM
Ive done a good years worth of drifting at track with a stock replacement clutch (100 bucks ftw) i abused it heaps and worked a charm on the T50 lol . if i had the money at the time or if i had another chance id go just a simple exedy HD (as stock one lacked tat extra bite)

shichi~
19th January 2009, 10:34 AM
True ^

my stock one lasted ages with 2 track days and a few street slides

now ive gone 4age and b4 i put it in im getting a exedy HD clutch :)

gumbie
31st January 2009, 01:50 PM
Os ftw!! :d

dr1ft-pig
23rd February 2009, 10:17 PM
i run a OS twin plate, very very bitey and loves to rape boxes and diffs

what is a HD exedy clutch worth for a 1gge/w55??

friend needs to buy one stat

Dish
24th February 2009, 10:20 AM
Running an exedy cushioned button in mine. Whether I fucked it cause it's my first hard hard clutch or whether they're just shit. Mines fucked, had it just over a year, started slipping badly about 3 months ago. Was going to get a button, but I might try to sports organic, 5400N/550kg-f pressure plate, same as cushion button. And it's pretty cheap.

Clutches don't like me :( WTF do I do wrong, I don't ride that shit. Allthough I do alot of engine braking.

Just if anyone was interested here is advertised prices by kudos motorsports on secretdrift.com

Also a guide to what clutches suit what application.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/6/5/7258.jpg

These are toyota prices for 4a and available clutches. I got my cushioned button through him, great guy to deal with and gave me a good price too compared to all the other joints I got prices at.

AE86 (ADM & JDM, 200mm Clutch Plate)

Standard Replacement
Exedy Standard Replacement - TYK-6319: $158.40

Heavy Duty Range
Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty - TYK-6319HD: $205.70
Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty Button - TYK-6319HDB: $326.70
Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty Cushioned Button - TYK-6319HDCB: $475.20

Single Sports Range
Exedy "Sports Single" Sports Organic - TYK-6319SO: $364.10
Exedy "Sports Single" Sports Ceramic - TYK-6319SC: $441.10

Hyper Metal Range
Exedy Hyper Single - TH01SD: $1403.60

James86
24th February 2009, 12:14 PM
OS giken make the cover and the plates for cusco clutches

yeah i did know this. but end of the day the cusco one broke:S

mosqiton
24th February 2009, 06:02 PM
I had the OS Giken super single and that was great on the track. but on the street it was easy to stall the car when you are not thinking about the clutch in there.
After my mates changed the clutch to an standard organic the I killed it in 10mins. tore all the material off the disc and it was everywhere.
Got a coppermix disc in there now and been trashing it for 2 years now.

it really comes down to your setup and driving style and what you want to use your car for really.

70XIN
24th February 2009, 07:09 PM
Yeah it's often a bit too easy to kill a button clutch

If i were you Dish i'd go for:

Exedy "Sports Tuff" Heavy Duty - TYK-6319HD: $205.70
Exedy "Sports Single" Sports Organic - TYK-6319SO: $364.10

Both will have a good amount of bite, be able to take daily "abuse" (riding etc), and still be sick on track without blowing T-fittys

Dish
24th February 2009, 07:39 PM
I'm leaning towards the sports organic, it's not a bad price, same clamp pressure as the clutch I've got. But we'll see how we go. Would love to get a 212mm flywheel, just for that little more clamping face.

Quick question, how quickly do pressure plates usually lose their set load? It's just that when I got mine it was on off and now it's quite light, I think if it has lost alot of it's clamp and I think this might be the reason my cushion button has failed in a year.

shichi~
24th February 2009, 10:11 PM
i paid $172 for a excedy HD sports tuff clutch