PDA

View Full Version : 4AGE KE70 engineers cert?

kiahn
16th September 2009, 01:30 AM
hi i am in perth WA and was wondering if anyone knows for sure if i need an engineers certificate to get my car LEGALLY on the road, the wording from the govt is just too confusing and doesnt really specify what i want to know.

any information is really appreciated, please dont tell me about other states as i have already read hundreds of threads on 4 different sites on eastern states

cheers

todd
16th September 2009, 02:03 AM
kiahn, fill in a permission to modify form at the tech section at welshpool DPI and once they do their paperwork and shit then they will let you know if the extent of the modifications deem it necessary to get an engineers certificate.

not much point asking for 2nd or 3rd hand information on the topic, especially considering the DPI seem to change their minds every week or two depending on the person behind the desk you speak to.

kiahn
16th September 2009, 02:28 PM
i have and they sent me out a form with a bunch of engineers but didnt really specify that i needed to use one :S
maybe they were just expecting me to know already
ill re-read the papers they sent as it was some 6 months ago and see if i left anything in the envelope

cheers

kiahn
22nd September 2009, 04:50 PM
read through the sheets they gave me again and it only has 2 lines which imply that you need a certificate as it says "the engineer will need to agree to include this statement in their write-up"

:S time to start saving:(

Matt-AE86
22nd September 2009, 11:38 PM
convert, engineer later.

todd
22nd September 2009, 11:44 PM
^^^ my motto haha

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 01:05 AM
its already converted, just need to tidy up the loom and get the correct value resistors and its done,
well now everyone in perth knows that it is 100%necessary to engineer it if you want a fully licenced car.
im mainly doing it for insurance purposes, as i want to be fully covered in the event of a crash

fixeruperer
23rd September 2009, 01:50 AM
you will have to get it engineered, because that body shell never came out with a 4age nor the brakes and sus to support it.
you can try take it over the pits and spin some shit to them and say like "an import model has this motor" and even if they pass it, if you get pulled over by the popo you hope and pray that the inspector will pass it again.

fill the forms out and send them off, in around 4 weeks they will send them back with either "go to these engineers and get it signed off" or "youll be fine, just take it over the pits"
is the car not rego'd at all ?
engineering is around $1000.

Nikkojoe
23rd September 2009, 02:42 AM
car is still rego'ed

fixeruperer
23rd September 2009, 03:22 AM
ah k i was gonna say fuk it, just drive it till you get picked up but due to insurance duties you should engineer it.

fill them forms out :)

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 04:22 PM
ive filled the forms out and had them return the forms all signed and said go ahead with the build, but there was a tiny little sentence that tells me about engineers so im gonna take it to one anyway as i am pretty sure that i will need engineers cert for insurance companies to accept it.
and yeh its still got rego until december, hopefully it wont cost 1000 to engineer as im in yr 12 and want my car asap

cheers for the help

Dazzla86
23rd September 2009, 04:38 PM
just make it nice and neat and you wont have a problem. Take it over myaree as welshpool are twits, an try get permits for the obvious things you have got done to it, pod filter etc. 4ag in a 70 looks so factory cops wouldnt no when they pull you over. A cop once thought mine was a 20 valve. So if u get pulled over, whip out your permits an you should be a free man minus the reason u got pulled over for, driving crazy etc.

I been down the path of gettin mine engineered, submitted a detailed with pictures of everything that i modified, and they were concerned that my steering wheel was aftermarked, suspension has been modified OMG an the like.

Just drive it, and dont hit no one. i may seem a bad influence, but our cars would be safer on the road than little nannas 200B that has never been serviced..

Drive boy an dont worry

Matt-AE86
23rd September 2009, 04:40 PM
Speak to Ken from Infinite. He has a cheap engineer apparently. As long as it has ADM brakes or JDM brakes on the front, all is well. Some engineers push for disc brake rear end aswell though.

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 06:33 PM
i heard you NEED disc brake rear for turbo or SC 4age, by adm or jdm brakes do you mean ae86??

trust me i do want to drive it but will an insurance agency need engineers certificate or do they not give a crap as long as its over the pits?

Hantu San
23rd September 2009, 06:35 PM
Yeah i agree the guys at the pits at Kenwick are twits, and will tell you stuff like your not allowed to have blue head light globes, and will call them HID, even though HID kits cost alot more then a 30$ pack of blue H4 globes.

However i spoke to my mechanic about it and said they are actually safer, and whenever i have been randomly pulled over by the popo they never say a word about them

Would be interested to see how this KE70 project turns out, i used to have a KE79 and that thing just went and went. Could nuke it and would still run

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 06:49 PM
well ill ring heaps of places and try to figure out whats going on

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 07:55 PM
just rang RAC and they stated that it will not cost any extra to change the engine over as long as it passes the pits, $360 per year :D
its due to the small power increase

RAC FTW

Hantu San
23rd September 2009, 08:46 PM
RAC are champs then! I think its because its from another corrola and its still 4 cyclinders. probably more economic for you to then the old engine

kiahn
23rd September 2009, 09:19 PM
yeh the guy said it was because it had a small power increase and was within 25% capacity, the 5 speed and motor are lighter than my old GB and engine combination (i dont know how
but yeh they said they just change the engine number on my slip

Matt-AE86
25th September 2009, 11:55 AM
Ok Kiahn. If I was you this Is what I would do.

Either Go and fill out a colour change (even though you haven't changed the colour of your car) and on the sheet change the engine number.

The other thing to do is fill out the Engine change sheet and lie a little on it.

Once the engine number is on your rego papers, get insurance.

The other I want to ask is. Do you plan on lowering it, modifying it anymore or is it just a stocker with a reliable 4age to get you around ?

kiahn
25th September 2009, 09:40 PM
i want it on the road ASAP so for now its remaining stock apart from the 4age, after that its going to get lowered about 2-3 inches and put ae86 struts converted to coilovers, and yeh its gonna be my reliable little stocker until i finish building my next engine which will be a high performance motor

Matt-AE86
29th September 2009, 03:21 PM
i want it on the road ASAP so for now its remaining stock apart from the 4age, after that its going to get lowered about 2-3 inches and put ae86 struts converted to coilovers, and yeh its gonna be my reliable little stocker until i finish building my next engine which will be a high performance motor

Then what is the point of insurance if you are going to modify it in such a way. If you get it under false pretences you won't be covered.

kiahn
29th September 2009, 06:48 PM
nah im gonna keep them up to date with the mods as i go, im not taking any risks as ive already had 5 people walk out in front of my car and countless people almost running into me

Matt-AE86
30th September 2009, 03:39 PM
nah im gonna keep them up to date with the mods as i go, im not taking any risks as ive already had 5 people walk out in front of my car and countless people almost running into me

Sure its not you putting yourself in bad situations ?

A good example is a guy from the mtv tv show "Pimp my Ride". He kept complaining "people always running into my ride all the time X".

So they pimped his car.

Late they did a re-union to show a few people that viewers wanted to see what happened to them. His car was totalled.

Not saying you are a bad driver, but maybe its not just the crazy people around you :)

kiahn
30th September 2009, 11:47 PM
hasnt happened in last 3 months, most of that was in 1 day and believe it or not they were all asian

im getting 300 for my birthday :D will probably have my car running by the cruise if im lucky/stingy

Matt-AE86
1st October 2009, 12:33 AM
you're let of the hook :P

kiahn
2nd October 2009, 02:03 AM
haha yeh, good news everyone, i will have $1250 by thecruise meaning i will be able to get engineers cert and everything by the cruise:D

kiahn
7th October 2009, 04:15 PM
alright got a price today from the guy that live on bateman road, $385 and he comes to me
that includes GST and includes engine, transmission, exhaust and emissions testing

todd
7th October 2009, 04:27 PM
contact details please

kiahn
7th October 2009, 04:36 PM
don stevens
183 bateman road, brentwood

top bloke aye, was pretty amazed that it only cost 400, guess its coz its NA and less than 25% increase in volume

Dom86
7th October 2009, 11:29 PM
Speak to Ken from Infinite. He has a cheap engineer apparently. As long as it has ADM brakes or JDM brakes on the front, all is well. Some engineers push for disc brake rear end aswell though.

FC's not allowed???

Thats wicked Kiahn. Good work. I'll have to give him a call sometime:))

todd
8th October 2009, 12:01 AM
nah im sure fc's would be allowed. i think matt meant that they would want sprinter adm or jdm as a minimum. i know the guy who did mine wanted vented 86 rotors on the front and disc rear. but yeah. fc's would be even better in their eyes :)

kiahn
8th October 2009, 12:50 AM
coz mine is only 2 kg's more and NA i dont need upgraded brakes apparently :P
i told him stock power figures and he said that its a big increase but wasnt worried bout it as nothing is engineered because of ae71 parts

Dom86
8th October 2009, 02:11 AM
Feee U! I thought that was a little weird.
So coil overs are ok too?

Matt-AE86
8th October 2009, 12:08 PM
Dom, you could pass FC calipers easy. Just shave off mazda :)

kiahn
8th October 2009, 02:49 PM
FC calipers wouldnt be a problem, if they see the mounting is safe they will probably prefer a 4 pot caliper no matter what brand it is.

id imagine coilovers would be alright as long as its steel sleave with high quality welds etc
but ring that guy and ask him, he will know alot more about it than me

kiahn
20th October 2009, 07:42 PM
just wanna let you all know that i just had it passed first go, he is a car enthusiast at heart so i think he liked seeing the next generation keeping the old cars alive :)

no problems at all if you use all original things

Adsport
10th November 2009, 01:03 AM
coz mine is only 2 kg's more and NA i dont need upgraded brakes apparently :P
i told him stock power figures and he said that its a big increase but wasnt worried bout it as nothing is engineered because of ae71 parts

but KE brakes are just so crap, mine are frequently either smoking or glowing or on fire lol

kiahn
18th November 2009, 07:02 PM
yeh i know they are crap but because the upgraded engine is not much more weight than a 4kc, if you drive it at correct speeds, it shouldnt need upgrade of brakes

Adsport
18th November 2009, 10:52 PM
duly noted :) the weight of my gte wouldnt also be much over that of a 4k either but makes about 5x the power lol

kiahn
20th November 2009, 10:11 AM
yeh he also said the because it isnt like tripling the power i dont need to, so i believe anything force fed with air will need bigger brakes, possibly the disc brake rear and ae86 veted rotors as a minimum

todd
20th November 2009, 02:43 PM
yer cos brakes aren't worth upgrading anyway.

you only need to go, no point in stopping right? lol.

Dazzla86
25th November 2009, 05:57 PM
but KE brakes are just so crap, mine are frequently either smoking or glowing or on fire lol

on fire!! and stinkin

kiahn
26th November 2009, 01:53 PM
yeh, ke brakes are a piece of crap
any upgrade on the brakes would make it ALOT easier for an engineer to pass
all i said was that due to the weight and power increase of an NA 4age he was happy to have stock brakes on there

Dom86
26th November 2009, 03:11 PM
I have, ADM 86 calipers and rotors if you decide you want a cheap upgrade :)

kiahn
27th November 2009, 08:13 PM
thnx for offer but i was gonna go ae86 struts with some better (possibly fc) brakes

Dazzla86
22nd December 2009, 03:02 AM
also 4x4 mazda bongo turbo callipers matched to alfa 155 discs are rather good. would be better for when you do your future na engine change