PDA

View Full Version : D1GP ?_? how much do you like it?

shadow_bunny
12th January 2009, 09:56 AM
For the longest time I've felt somewhat disappointment with the D1GP. I dont like the cars with uber fragile body kits and tons of stickers and douche wings. I also don't like the concept of drifting in a track, or even worse a parking lot, with no danger involved. I get that the point of the D1GP is to produce the most spectacular drift, and have no problem with that, but I just get pissed off when somebody who doesn't know says that THATS the art of drifting and that thats what all drifters aspire to be/do. no, if i wanted to drift at some point it wasnt to see what angle i could achieve or how much smoke i could produce, but to have another technique for the downhill run, a way to take a corner faster and more efficiently.

anybody else pissed off at this?
/rant

Clinton
12th January 2009, 10:31 AM
totally DONT agree with you. EVERY single straight out racing car will be covered in stickers and will have a flimsy bodykit on it. if someone said to you "we want YOU to run our brand new turbo that we'll give you for free if you put this sticker on your car, im sure you and 99% of people would do it. The aero gear on racing cars is always going to perform a certain purpose, No danger in track racing? you have to be on crack to think that...

i guess in a sence D1GP would be the pinical for most drifters, in that faster, more angle, better line is what everyone wants to do. the track makes it easier to acheive. At the end of the day everyone wants to see a stack of angle and speed.

shadow_bunny
12th January 2009, 10:47 AM
totally DONT agree with you. EVERY single straight out racing car will be covered in stickers and will have a flimsy bodykit on it. if someone said to you "we want YOU to run our brand new turbo that we'll give you for free if you put this sticker on your car, im sure you and 99% of people would do it. The aero gear on racing cars is always going to perform a certain purpose, No danger in track racing? you have to be on crack to think that...

i guess in a sence D1GP would be the pinical for most drifters, in that faster, more angle, better line is what everyone wants to do. the track makes it easier to acheive. At the end of the day everyone wants to see a stack of angle and speed.

the aero kits on touring cars and rally cars are pretty tough I don't know what you're talking about. and by "no danger involved" i meant tracks have barriers and safety barricades all over the place, and you know, are on an open field. As opposed to mountain passes which i don't even have to begin to describe.

pinical? ....pinnacle? well, you can't have angle AND speed, but a balance. and if you studied physics you'd know that the lesser the angle, the the greater the speed.

but thanks for replying anyway. seems i'm an outcast on this whole drift thing.

Beau
12th January 2009, 01:44 PM
Great points but i think you need to understand the basic point of D1GP

The judging and the tracks are normally set up to favour the Drivers.

But the location, the cars looks and the commentating is for the Spectator and the average joe.

ae86hachiroku
12th January 2009, 02:20 PM
D1GP is definitely up there in terms of the peak of drifting technology and innovation. It's the benchmark for tuners and brands to R&D their products and theories.
I love D1GP, but since about 2006, I do not believe it is the highest level of drift in terms of skill and excitement any more.
Put it simply, it's easier to navigate the cars through clipping points and line on a very large track than a small tight track which has obvious hazards (wall, ditch, inconsistent surfaces and levels). To me, this really shows true skill and ability to manage your car sideways.
IMO, MSC is where it's at. Just crazy shit happening all the time, I like watching some nutcase just fly through with a insane entry, scraping a wall, or chucking a wheel into a ditch. So much more exciting, something which you just don't see often in D1 anymore.
Don't get me wrong, D1 drivers are definitely skilled, but again, just like DA, it is a matter of who has got the money to enter or build a machine capable of competition, just the difference between the 2 is that the skill level to ratio of budget is much higher in D1 than DA.

luke86
12th January 2009, 02:52 PM
Hey what does MSC stand for?

ae86hachiroku
12th January 2009, 03:01 PM
(M)otor (S)ports (C)om

johl
12th January 2009, 03:19 PM
not a fan of d1gp to be honest.
d1sl all the way. as i'v said previously i prefer street cars rather than all out track cars. just my personal prefference and i think its more entertaining to watch an amateur team or individual slide rather than flawless runs by the "pro's". dont get me wrong, my respect goes to the guys that can and regularly hit every clipping point and can go door to door into a turn but watching some of the option dvd's and d1sl is alot better to watch imo

ae86hachiroku
12th January 2009, 03:27 PM
Yeah, D1SL is also a good one, but as you can see, it's all about the track, if you took the D1gp cars and chucked them back on the small tracks, it'd be amazingly spectacular.
But then, with smaller tracks, the big budgets isn't required, just big balls.

Like this :D

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=58O_IGZXeas (http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=58O_IGZXeas)

Konakid
12th January 2009, 04:47 PM
That entry at 0:19 is win.

Axentrik
13th January 2009, 03:47 AM
drifts cool competition drift is ghey

sundee
13th January 2009, 10:10 AM
[QUOTE=shadow_bunny;11953]pinical? ....pinnacle? well, you can't have angle AND speed, but a balance. and if you studied physics you'd know that the lesser the angle, the the greater the speed.

QUOTE]

thats pretty basic theory man... with a few more factors than > angle = < Speed and vice versa.

weight is one major factor that u have forgotten..

as seen right here :

traction, can provide more acceleration through a corner at a greater angle to overcome drag to obtain the same speed compared to a car with lighter weight and lesser angle..

drift involves alot of physics and aerodynamics testing is riddled through motorsport, the whole aim to produce the lease ammount of drag, a bit of downforce for traction, to accieve best cornering, acceleration,
the fastest car wins the race (in theory) .. the faster the car moves the more drag it creats .. the aim.. the eliminate it.

shadow_bunny
13th January 2009, 12:10 PM
traction, can provide more acceleration through a corner at a greater angle to overcome drag to obtain the same speed compared to a car with lighter weight and lesser angle..

drift involves alot of physics and aerodynamics testing is riddled through motorsport, the whole aim to produce the lease ammount of drag, a bit of downforce for traction, to accieve best cornering, acceleration,
the fastest car wins the race (in theory) .. the faster the car moves the more drag it creats .. the aim.. the eliminate it.

acceleration... through a corner? youre thinking of carrying greater momentum into the exit because the impending motion is building up on the rear (or traction) tires. traction in itself is not a driving force, but a medium. torque and friction are the two main forces. drag doesnt really come into play until well above the 60 mph range, but before then its negligible, as well as weight differences in cars that have close power/weight ratios.

well my explanation as why > angle = < speed is here:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/0/7/6/3760.jpg
for a second, think that these crudely drawn rectangles represent the top view of a car. both are drifting and the one on the left achieved a greater angle. the green dot on each of them is their center of mass (not gravity) in the x axis. the red arrow represents the speed vector and the green arrow the friction force vector. The shaded area on each car is an assumption of where the weight should be distributed while taking a turn drifting. I exaggerated the difference so youd notice, but i doubt it differ as much in real life. in any case since the one with less angle managed to contain its weight closer to its center of mass and assuming that this in turn increases traction; or in other words provides more weight equally on the rear tires thus increasing normal force on the rear tires and therefore creating a larger friction force to propel the car forward.

looking back at why I just wrote i can say that a safer assumption would be to say that the better traction (if that makes any sense at all) you have during a drift the faster it is.

oh and, most of the aerokits on d1gp are purely for aesthetics. if they'd really want aerodinamical efficiency they'd build kits like those on touring cars with wide-bodies, air inlets, deflectors and canards ALL over the place.

shadow_bunny
13th January 2009, 12:12 PM
drifts cool competition drift is ghey
I think I agree with this man ^-^ although...he might just be trolling me. v_v

breno
13th January 2009, 12:36 PM
i havent watched d1 in years besides a few quick clips on youtube.
The cars are boring the tracks are boring but you still gotta respect the skill that the drivers have, and at the end of the day they still go out on the street to do it.

but who the fuck cares what series is better or who is better, just go out and have fun.

ae86hachiroku
13th January 2009, 12:41 PM
Nothing wrong with competition, as long as it's still fun.

Trev084
13th January 2009, 01:38 PM
I go through a stage of watching it when its on foxtel, I have D1GP on ps2 which aint bad.

JoshKE
13th January 2009, 02:51 PM
no, if i wanted to drift at some point it wasnt to see what angle i could achieve or how much smoke i could produce, but to have another technique for the downhill run, a way to take a corner faster and more efficiently.

lol...

ae86=fun
13th January 2009, 03:46 PM
D1gp is a good watch, although i personally prefer the grassroots stuff(msc,drift tengoku coverage,team drift) because of the stuff that happens,wall smacks, crashes, jumps, busted up drift pigs.

That why i found T.hibino so entertaining in the d1 series, cause he did most of the stuff the grassroots guys did,just balls out going for it.JUMP DRIFT!

Bottom line is D1 is about big money, fast cars, and entertaining.
The MSC series is just people having fun,driving with their mates in their own cars, their just happens to be a video camera there.

My2cents

k.aaron
13th January 2009, 10:59 PM
I used to watch it all the time when it was on ESPN or something but after a while it just turned shit with all the commercial stuff. And all the cars are pretty much the same.

tricky_dan
14th January 2009, 01:48 PM
i much prefer watching grassroots drifting, like in the mountains at nights and on small circuits like at ebisu. d1gp is a lot about entertainment and money and all out stripped cars and stickers.. so watching daily driven (but still hot) cars that get sideways rather than completey stripped out/done up cars which are not much more than a hugely powerful engine in a steel chassis covered with some panels and 1 seat inside is awesome!

worked
18th January 2009, 02:50 PM
acceleration... through a corner? youre thinking of carrying greater momentum into the exit because the impending motion is building up on the rear (or traction) tires.traction in itself is not a driving force, but a medium. torque and friction are the two main forces. drag doesnt really come into play until well above the 60 mph range, but before then its negligible, as well as weight differences in cars that have close power/weight ratios.

well my explanation as why > angle = < speed is here:
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/0/7/6/3760.jpg
for a second, think that these crudely drawn rectangles represent the top view of a car. both are drifting and the one on the left achieved a greater angle. the green dot on each of them is their center of mass (not gravity) in the x axis. the red arrow represents the speed vector and the green arrow the friction force vector. The shaded area on each car is an assumption of where the weight should be distributed while taking a turn drifting. I exaggerated the difference so youd notice, but i doubt it differ as much in real life. in any case since the one with less angle managed to contain its weight closer to its center of mass and assuming that this in turn increases traction; or in other words provides more weight equally on the rear tires thus increasing normal force on the rear tires and therefore creating a larger friction force to propel the car forward.

looking back at why I just wrote i can say that a safer assumption would be to say that the better traction (if that makes any sense at all) you have during a drift the faster it is.

oh and, most of the aerokits on d1gp are purely for aesthetics. if they'd really want aerodinamical efficiency they'd build kits like those on touring cars with wide-bodies, air inlets, deflectors and canards ALL over the place.

huh??? those two things contradict each other...
the problem with people who study physics is that they then think the rule itself can't be broken
top fuelers shouldn't be phyisically able to accelerate at the rate they do
skateboards shouldn't be physically able to ollie like they do
your tofu shouldn't be physically able to stay in one piece on your downhill runs, but, miraculousy it does.
i've noticed the stickier tyres you have on the rear, the more speed and angle you can hold on a certain line while drifting, but thats just me, no theory involved in that...
D1 is good to watch, you've got to remember its a professional level of motorsport that its at, yes it looks a bit wanky, but if it didn't have the sponsors and stuff it doesn't, it wouldn't be as popular, which would affect everything further down the chain

ae71neo
18th January 2009, 03:23 PM
i've noticed the stickier tyres you have on the rear, the more speed and angle you can hold on a certain line while drifting, but thats just me, no theory involved in that...

And that i would have to agree with. No theory bollocks, but sideways, on the track. lol sif bring physics into this....

worked
18th January 2009, 03:30 PM
also, weight distribution changes according to driver inputs and attitude of the car (as in how you come into the corner, where you are in the corner, not attitude as in your car is feelin pretty peachy today), you'll notice if you get on the brakes mid slide, your weight is shifted to front wheels, and if you gas it the weight is shifted back. from what i've experienced anyway.
i.e. come in too hot with an entry, squeezed the brakes a little and the rear end suddenly has half the stick it did before. it's moments like those you thank ps arms...

Rice86
20th January 2009, 02:27 PM
lol

D1GP is top lvl of drifting you'll ever see...any other drifting is just as good...street drifting is amazing, but only in jap xD

slydar
20th January 2009, 08:58 PM
d1 is awesome. the cars are sic. this thread is crap.

worked
20th January 2009, 09:05 PM
is my theory (well...is practical cos i've done it) incorrect dimitri??

mals86
20th January 2009, 09:35 PM
I like to throw some option vids on every now and then, because using power tools into the late evening, every night getting my own car ready...really annoys the neighbours.
After going for a good drive in a couple of ae86's on the weekend, I found that grip and drift are both as fun as eachother and reflect exactly why you buy an ae86.
If you have one thats registered with a 4age, 2-way and nice handling, I salute you.

tricky_dan
21st January 2009, 01:40 PM
incredibly astounding videos/scenes like this lower my love for d1gp and heighten it for grassroots style ;)

'The Soul of Drift (http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/01/15/video-gt-gt-ebisu-the-soul-of-drift.aspx)'

kaibeecee
21st January 2009, 02:00 PM
MSC events are alot different to D1/D1SL style events.

MSC does not do 'battle' events to sort a winner, only solo competitions & team events.

and MSC is a plucking point for D1SL drivers, who go into D1SL, and then to D1GP if they prove themselves.

and D1 is awesome, just an evolution of it, i dig how the cars are turning into almost Super GT cars

shadow_bunny
24th January 2009, 11:31 AM
huh??? those two things contradict each other...
the problem with people who study physics is that they then think the rule itself can't be broken
top fuelers shouldn't be phyisically able to accelerate at the rate they do
skateboards shouldn't be physically able to ollie like they do
your tofu shouldn't be physically able to stay in one piece on your downhill runs, but, miraculousy it does.
D1 is good to watch, you've got to remember its a professional level of motorsport that its at, yes it looks a bit wanky, but if it didn't have the sponsors and stuff it doesn't, it wouldn't be as popular, which would affect everything further down the chain
¬_¬ thats the problem with people who dont study physics, they forget that its all around them. and in any case, the first and second statements you highlighted in bold print do not contradict each other but rather compliment themselves.

>>traction not a driving force, but a medium (a "middle man" if you will)
>>with more friction (i.e. traction) you can deliver more power (the actual driving force)
wait, i think i just got trolled... >>tofu shouldn't be physically able to stay in one piece on your downhill runs, but, miraculousy it does<<

And that i would have to agree with. No theory bollocks, but sideways, on the track. lol sif bring physics into this....
>_< seriously, you DONT bring physics into anything, everything falls within the laws of physics, except that which is too big or too small.

H8CHIR6KU
24th January 2009, 11:36 AM

true that

as far as all the science shit goes, join a physics forum. drift is drift no matter how you explain it, and d1 is seen as the top level = must be good

i sure as hell enjoy it

slydar
24th January 2009, 11:58 AM
incredibly astounding videos/scenes like this lower my love for d1gp and heighten it for grassroots style ;)

'The Soul of Drift (http://speedhunters.com/archive/2009/01/15/video-gt-gt-ebisu-the-soul-of-drift.aspx)'

are you serious? that video is horrible. the whole things in slow mo and the actual driving is like, boring as.

its well edited at the start/intro but.. jeez.

Robo86
24th January 2009, 07:16 PM

+1. too many heros in this thread

drift kid
24th January 2009, 11:11 PM
D1 GP Japan is awsome, the american series hasn't got anything on the japanese, they are the true masters of the art.

drift kid
24th January 2009, 11:13 PM
sorry, double post

marvis
24th January 2009, 11:50 PM
They have now got the JP D1 Drivers driving in USA..

http://www.d1gp.com/v2/

*urban_ninja*
25th January 2009, 05:25 PM
the ORIGIONAL D1 IS THE SHIT drivers like UEO are masters of there cars it is grate but it dose get old after 2 or so hours

kaibeecee
25th January 2009, 09:24 PM
'grassroots' fans, an excerpt from the 2006 released MSC year review DVD

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=yFwDaC5K5nw

please pay proper attention to 3:21 and the run after it

that is how to slide cars

ae86hachiroku
25th January 2009, 09:44 PM
On the subject of Bihoku... ENJOY

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=4Z7a2fhGigM

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=nFNuixdxssI

If anyone's seen 2002 Bihoku round where Ueo wins.. omg, best ever.

andylaurel
14th February 2009, 02:00 PM
actually, although the judging sucks, it is good to watch in person. I went to D1GP Fuji Speedway last year and it was a great event. Much better than Drift Australia.
The level of drifting was very high.
http://img22.imageshack.us/img22/3162/andynafed1gpcu9.jpg

Juturna
14th February 2009, 04:10 PM
d1 is loose, jap drift in general just has a much more authentic feel about it, like everyone loves it and nothing else matters.
you look in the pits of nikko on a drift day and people are borrowing rims off each other and offering help left right and centre.

go to QR and ask for a spanner and someone tells you to get your own.
drifters in aus are too arrogant, need to learn some modesty.
no you are NOT the best drifter, your not even GOOD, but who cares? if your having fun all is well. if you wanna pose and look tough..... autosalon is pretty soon yea?
long live D1.

andylaurel
14th February 2009, 10:58 PM

^^^did you just claim the laws of physics CAN be broken?
Did you uhh... study any physics?

driftism
15th February 2009, 02:30 AM
D1 is great, but people who really appreciate it are those who aspire to be like the D1 drivers. any random spectator off the street will get bored of seeing cars going sideways again and again and again. But people who notice the differences between drivers and the different tecniques used are the true fans.

Saying "i don't like d1 because there is no danger involved" is fucking stupid. that's like going to see V8 super cars and getting pissed off coz no1 crashes and dies.

If you think high level competitive drifting is too soft and your too hardcore for it then i guess you better stick to your down hill runs and super touge doriftoruu.

*urban_ninja*
18th February 2009, 02:26 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^ 100% corect, D1 is grate and is awesome to watch you can lurn alot by just watching how the drivers take cournerws and react to situations as with anything watching some one better will always help in one way or another. PS UEO is KING

Course_Out
18th February 2009, 05:02 PM
I think whether you liek d1 or not comes down to what you can relate to - for example, I'm not into v8 supercars, mostly because I don't own or aspire to own a Commodore or Falcon, they don't race on tracks that I can drive (i.e. the street races, etc) whereas I love IPRA because there are small 4 cylinder cars competing, they drive on tracks that I could realistically have a go at one day (Phillip Island, Mallala, etc) and a lot of the drivers are in it for the love of the sport and spend there pay cheques to compete.

Much like d1 vs MSC really when you think about it....

Rice86
25th February 2009, 09:35 AM
under under under under!!! =O

GAKI86
26th February 2009, 02:46 AM
drifting sucks now since theres lesser ae86s presence ueo no longer competes in ae86

they should introduce something like a winter game for drifting like this one below

IKKE!!! CHIBI KURUMA!!!!! GOGOGO!!! or something like that...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nEu4etxgrQM

ae71
26th February 2009, 11:02 AM
D1GP= only real drifting.. licked the balls off any Australian event!

narchi
9th March 2009, 01:56 AM
i look at the D1GP in similar light to the NFL. College football is far more interesting to watch coz the guys go balls out trying to get into the NFL.
NFL is where the big bucks are but is boring most of the time with the odd great game. But without the NFL the college guys wouldn't b playing all out. So similar thing with the D1GP and all the minor stuff.

Also to u guys comparing speed and drift. Im pretty sure what was meant is the speed these guys go entering the corner can be higher than guys gripping the corner. N yes more angle is the slower way around the corner. But hey i wouldn't watch drift for less angle more speed. As speed isn't the thing that makes drift interesting. Thats y i like watching the guys on the tighter tracks.

worked
9th March 2009, 12:00 PM
^^^did you just claim the laws of physics CAN be broken?
Did you uhh... study any physics?

poorly worded on my behalf, yeh i dabbled in physics for a bit (thermodynamics and statistical mechanics tho), but like i said, there are things that happen that are 'apparently' (according to my text books) not physically possibly, like top fueller acceleration and how skateboards ollie. i just believe traction is more than a medium, on shadowbunnies diagram i'd be pointing those red arrows further in towards the corner dependsing on the tyres used, gear etc because traction is a driving force, for example, rally cars can go around the same angled corners as drift cars at the same speed or faster on dirt, because they (usually) drive all four wheels thus giving them more traction and 'push' towards where they are facing
surely you, being into drift and all, have noticed with grippier tyres you can tip it into a corner faster, get more angle and sit on more angle because of teh added traction and control given. at the last drift day here i was tipping my car into scando entries 30kph faster with no changes at all except for 15x8 rims covered in adrenalins rather than my old 15x7s with whatever i could find. does this not point out that with more grip you can drift faster, or have i missed something???
thats all this dumb ass is trying to say!! i'm not jawing off, just trying to figure something out...

GAKI86
9th March 2009, 05:36 PM
d1gp is product promotion!! just take a look at each champion ship winners with different backing company!! so no one really goes hard out its just giving each one another a turn to be on the high podium and have their products to be in the light..

Saikou
11th March 2009, 03:31 AM
ueo + ae86 = law of drift physics http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoErWThOHhg
hehe.

I like d1gp, got heaps of awesome drifters that i love to see drift.
all the other drift series i like too.
driftaus is ok, bit slow compared to watching d1gp. but hell, i give any drifter respect for making their car sideways =D. it's Pure Art in my dictionary =D