PDA

View Full Version : Decc

Leigh
29th September 2009, 10:43 AM
who knows anything about them?
My Bro got done on the way to the DA the other weekend
They got him for his exhaust beeing too loud and no enclosure round his pod filter
as far as we know he has to get the DB cleared but they take photos of his engine bay and send them to the DECC and then if anything isn't stock they will call him in to get emissions tested.
Apparently they only allow one intake mod so either aftermarket intercooler or throttle body or plenum etc if there is more than one modification they will fine him and take away points etc
sounds like they are worse than the RTA and EPA put together looks like he will have to pout his Cefiro back to stock and he's not all that excited about it........

pen15
29th September 2009, 02:33 PM
decc can you elaborate on what this is i mean i know who the epa is and rta and the pigs of course but how are these fuck whits home many law bodies are there in nsw this is fucked up

pen15
29th September 2009, 02:34 PM
quick google search cam up with this WTF

department of environment and climate change decc

isn't that what the epa are here for

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 02:53 PM
I know a lot about them...unfortunately...

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 03:09 PM
Basically your bro is dealing with the EPA, he will be recieving a letter from them in a couple of weeks, in which the EPA will inform your bro to go to one of the five DECC Approved Inspection Stations to have his vehicle Inspected/Tested.

Rice86
29th September 2009, 04:18 PM
to much bullshit over nothing i say....

sorry to highjack thread but, PeakingDuck, whats the go with your problems?...figured out what you going to do?...

dave2221
29th September 2009, 04:41 PM
as far as i was aware you can modify the shit out of your motor as long as its all within legal limits....

so if your pod filter is in box, front mount is all fitted propperly and plenum has all your emissions gear ect you still should be sweet... that is assuming you can still pass your emissions tests.
never heard about the 1 mod rule

greenay
29th September 2009, 04:50 PM
A friend of mine recently got pulled over and issued with this
he had to change his exhaust back to stock(all cats and mufflers),
front mount back to stock
get his car engineered,
blue-slipped and re-regoed,
Stock ECU
he changed everything to avoid going to a testing station
just to change it all back to how it was neways
You can avoid the testing station im fairly sure as long as you send in photos of the car showing
1. Stock Airbox
2. Stock ECU
3. Stock exhaust with original cat
4. Stock Front Mount
But photos must be taken by an EPA approved mechanic not sure where they are in sydney as I'm from wollongong
He had custom piping and got away with that.
Ohh and BTW this was all on an cc lancer that has been fully converted(engine, drivetrain, brakes susp..everything) to evo 3.
Can be a very annoying process

greenay
29th September 2009, 04:53 PM
ohh and also another big thing was it had to have the stock injectors

pen15
29th September 2009, 07:32 PM
lets say you imported a stock as a rock sprinter and they pulled you up they don't know what stock is supposed to look like they don't even know what a sprinter is its like a cop fresh out of training car issue defects its plain bullshit

greenay
29th September 2009, 07:53 PM
lets say you imported a stock as a rock sprinter and they pulled you up they don't know what stock is supposed to look like they don't even know what a sprinter is its like a cop fresh out of training car issue defects its plain bullshit

yer it is bullshit, they boys in blue wouldn't have a clue what goes where 95% of the time...but generally the cops pull you over and make a judgement based on the looks and noise of the car...so a stock as a rock sprinter wouldn't bring too much attention to itself, so probably wouldn't get sent to the DECC or the details forwarded to the EPA.
I think emissions go on year of manufacture of engine so may be irrelevant to many running original motors but if you have say a 20v you could be liable.

On the other hand a nicely modded NA sprinter with a loud exhaust and low suspension is more likely to get their attention, and even if it is engineered it can be sent to the EPA for emission testing, only way around it is to have stock exhaust, injectors, ecu etc put back on and take it to the approved mechanic and have photos taken and forwarded to EPA.

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 10:10 PM
to much bullshit over nothing i say....

sorry to highjack thread but, PeakingDuck, whats the go with your problems?...figured out what you going to do?...

Just the exhaust to go now, need to put on a stockish muffler and I should pass. Can't do nothing at the moment though, my wallet got owned over the weekend. :thumbdown:

PeakingDuck
29th September 2009, 10:56 PM
he changed everything to avoid going to a testing station
just to change it all back to how it was neways
You can avoid the testing station im fairly sure as long as you send in photos of the car showing
1. Stock Airbox
2. Stock ECU
3. Stock exhaust with original cat
4. Stock Front Mount
But photos must be taken by an EPA approved mechanic not sure where they are in sydney as I'm from wollongong

Testing station+EPA approved mechanic= DECC Approved Inspection Station.

If your friend was issued with a Vehicle Inspection Notice from the EPA, there is no avoiding the "testing station", he must go to 1 of the 5 DECC Approved Inspection Stations to have his vehicle inspected and/or noise tested in which the DECC Approved Mechanic will also take photos and have them sent to the EPA where they will be the one's who decide on the vehicles fate.

These guys are very thorough with their inspections, I got done for a lot of things the first time I went. They would fail you if your stock airbox doesn't have a snorkel, or if the airbox is loose or some other bull:steamer:

Don't expect to pass the first time you go, that's all I have to say. :thumbdown:

bams_keto
4th October 2009, 03:21 PM
Testing station+EPA approved mechanic= DECC Approved Inspection Station.

If your friend was issued with a Vehicle Inspection Notice from the EPA, there is no avoiding the "testing station", he must go to 1 of the 5 DECC Approved Inspection Stations to have his vehicle inspected and/or noise tested in which the DECC Approved Mechanic will also take photos and have them sent to the EPA where they will be the one's who decide on the vehicles fate.

These guys are very thorough with their inspections, I got done for a lot of things the first time I went. They would fail you if your stock airbox doesn't have a snorkel, or if the airbox is loose or some other bull:steamer:

Don't expect to pass the first time you go, that's all I have to say. :thumbdown:

just got done last night and was wondering, do u think that it would just be easier to get another shell and put everything into that and sell off the rest to make your cash back, or was it cheaper for u just to pass the decc.

Fucking stupid law, i was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for a mate to fix his car and they pulled up behind me and fucked me in the ass :crying:!!

Rice86
6th October 2009, 02:24 PM
just got done last night and was wondering, do u think that it would just be easier to get another shell and put everything into that and sell off the rest to make your cash back, or was it cheaper for u just to pass the decc.

Fucking stupid law, i was pulled over on the side of the road waiting for a mate to fix his car and they pulled up behind me and fucked me in the ass :crying:!!

what exactly did you get done for?..
and thats some bad luck aye...sorry to hear man

and for your question...both way can work out as cheaply as the other or as expensive as the other...just depends what you already have and dont have or what you can get and for how much

Leigh
12th October 2009, 03:39 PM
ah yah!!!
one of my mates (Shane) got done on the weekend same thing... in his not very stock S13...on his bucks day!!!!
Bad timing....

Rice86
12th October 2009, 04:53 PM
so coppers are pretty much sending you to the EPA for any defects if talking about the engine department?

sundee
12th October 2009, 05:51 PM
ohh and also another big thing was it had to have the stock injectors

just a question... how would these guys know what the stock injector was or looks like?
seems like its just something they make up because really they have no way of telling.

man this sucks, im not looking foward to this, it seems like its happening all to often these days.

corknose
12th October 2009, 06:12 PM
what exactly did you get done for?..
and thats some bad luck aye...sorry to hear man

and for your question...both way can work out as cheaply as the other or as expensive as the other...just depends what you already have and dont have or what you can get and for how much

i was with him when this happend and he got done for....

1.wheels out of body
2.too low
3.cage.
4.bride.
5.seatbelts dont retract.
6.no horn.
7.no air intake.
8.oil leak.
9. no front bar.
10.battery not secured.
11.too loud.
12. numberplate in front window(no front bar)
:F:
and some others i think. so pretty muich raped.

sundee
12th October 2009, 10:26 PM
not engineered i take it? get engineers! the only time i got defected is when i didn't have engineers cert. Cops can see if u have a cert when they run your plates

trueno85
13th October 2009, 12:43 AM
i was with him when this happend and he got done for....

1.wheels out of body
2.too low
3.cage.
4.bride.
5.seatbelts dont retract.
6.no horn.
7.no air intake.
8.oil leak.
9. no front bar.
10.battery not secured.
11.too loud.
12. numberplate in front window(no front bar)
:F:
and some others i think. so pretty muich raped.

As gay as it is it seems like he got done for some pretty fair things, like driving around with no bar and a plate in your window is pretty attracting

but nonetheless fucking gay hope you sort it all out

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 12:55 AM

It really depends what kinda mods you gots and whether you have the kind of parts to pass the test, weigh up your options, but keep in mind if you decide to put all your gear into another shell, than your original shell will remain defective and therefore if you try to sell it you must let the buyer know.

To give you an idea, heres a list of what I was failed for:
1. PCV- Venting
2. Charcoal Canister- Not connected
3. General Hoses
4. ITBs- Non-Standard Air Intake
5. ECU- Non-Standard
6. Catalytic Converter- High Flow= FAIL
7. Exhaust Noise- 100db@4950rpm

I've spent just over 1g including labor to pass this shit, and I still haven't passed...Exhaust is too loud still...>@

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 01:10 AM
not engineered i take it? get engineers! the only time i got defected is when i didn't have engineers cert. Cops can see if u have a cert when they run your plates

It "MAY" stop you from being defected, but it won't stop the DECC and Police from sending you an invite to a Inspection Station for a reaming. It's just a piece of :steamer: to them.

trueno85
13th October 2009, 01:11 AM
did you end up just chucking the original intake setup back on or did you get an airbox made up?

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 01:15 AM
I had to source a factory airbox+snorkel from Japan. They want everything factory. :thumbdown:

trueno85
13th October 2009, 01:28 AM
oh shit! was that easy to find?

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 01:47 AM
Yea man, theres always a bunch on yahoo auctions japan.

I got mine in pretty good condition, most are very poor. Their quite cheap, but it's the shipping that get's ya.

trueno85
13th October 2009, 01:49 AM
hmmm might have to invest in one as I guarantee as soon as i run itb's i'll get busted hahaha

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 02:25 AM
Lol don't jinx yourself. But yea it'd be a wise investment to have one at hand. Or you could just borrow mine if and when you need it.

I'm thinking of getting a custom airbox/enclosure made for my ITB's in the hope that I can maybe get away with it the next time I have to pop my bonnet.

pen15
13th October 2009, 06:21 AM
It "MAY" stop you from being defected, but it won't stop the DECC and Police from sending you an invite to a Inspection Station for a reaming. It's just a piece of :steamer: to them.

well a report will stop them as a big part of an engineers report is the Db test and a emissions test so it will stop them then just general defects will always get cleared

steroidchickens
13th October 2009, 08:11 AM
its a 30min inspection. so they go over everything.
i diddnt have a standard cat. i got a ae82 cat from the wreckers. somehow the guy doing the inspection new what the cat was off.

does however suck.

steroidchickens
13th October 2009, 08:12 AM
well a report will stop them as a big part of an engineers report is the Db test and a emissions test so it will stop them then just general defects will always get cleared

my car was engineered. it doesnt matter if it is engineered.
they are checking for emmissions. they dont give a toss what engine is in there. just as long as it is standard.

Leigh
13th October 2009, 08:49 AM
apparently the DECC don't care one bit about engineers certificate all they are worried about is emissions
They won't worry about your un engineered cage or any of that it's the motor they look at
intake mods and exhaust mods and the emissions that you are creating
they are the Dept of Environment and Climate Change after all

sundee
13th October 2009, 10:09 AM
It really depends what kinda mods you gots and whether you have the kind of parts to pass the test, weigh up your options, but keep in mind if you decide to put all your gear into another shell, than your original shell will remain defective and therefore if you try to sell it you must let the buyer know.

To give you an idea, heres a list of what I was failed for:
1. PCV- Venting
2. Charcoal Canister- Not connected
3. General Hoses
4. ITBs- Non-Standard Air Intake
5. ECU- Non-Standard
6. Catalytic Converter- High Flow= FAIL
7. Exhaust Noise- 100db@4950rpm

I've spent just over 1g including labor to pass this shit, and I still haven't passed...Exhaust is too loud still...>@

exhaust is easy fix, go to your exhaust shop, get the cheapest rear muffler, get them to weld up a flange plate so you can drop off the rear of the "good" system and fit the stock muffler, it will shut it right up, then once u pass take it off - bolt the old rear section back up and done!

PeakingDuck
13th October 2009, 10:41 AM
exhaust is easy fix, go to your exhaust shop, get the cheapest rear muffler, get them to weld up a flange plate so you can drop off the rear of the "good" system and fit the stock muffler, it will shut it right up, then once u pass take it off - bolt the old rear section back up and done!

Yea that's what I am getting done today supposedly. I shouldn't even have to pay for the next test once I fit the pea shooter on.

pen15
13th October 2009, 01:15 PM
hold on it costs money to get fucked in the ass?

Leigh
13th October 2009, 04:35 PM
only prob is
I've heard they take photos of your engine bay and exhaust and if you get pulled over and looked over again then you will cop a fine and loss of points plus a defect if it's not the same as the photo...don't know if thats the whole truth and nothing but the truth but........

willio
22nd February 2010, 02:39 AM
Back from the dead... I have a couple of questions:

- A mate had a legit blue slip passed on an ADM Sprinter with a 16V without a cat. The workshop told him as its a 1983 car it didn't need a cat. Seeing as cats are only compulsory on post 1986 cars - is a cat requirement based on the engine or year of car?

- My current setup is a 16V coverted to Weber carbies. Rego has the new engine no. on it. Do you think I could get away saying it's the original 4AC with upgraded carbs? Or am I pretty much done for if I get pulled over?

pen15
22nd February 2010, 01:36 PM
Back from the dead... I have a couple of questions:

- A mate had a legit blue slip passed on an ADM Sprinter with a 16V without a cat. The workshop told him as its a 1983 car it didn't need a cat. Seeing as cats are only compulsory on post 1986 cars - is a cat requirement based on the engine or year of car?

- My current setup is a 16V coverted to Weber carbies. Rego has the new engine no. on it. Do you think I could get away saying it's the original 4AC with upgraded carbs? Or am I pretty much done for if I get pulled over?

i would say you are going to get screwed this is the reason im going for a really quiet note i don't wanna attract attention for the popo any more and im sick of headaches from loud exhausts

PeakingDuck
23rd February 2010, 11:44 AM

Box up your webers, less noise equals less attention. And in the case you do get pulled over, you'd have a better chance of getting away with it. Speaking of which I should be getting my quads boxed too, don't ever want to go through the DECC/EPA again. >@

Example.
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/8/9/1/37656.jpg

sundee
23rd February 2010, 12:57 PM
I just put the Redline paper filters with the chrome front and rear plates and it was fine. shuts it up alot compared to socks

willio
23rd February 2010, 09:58 PM
For the airbox I was going to use something like this:

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_49_84_157&products_id=127&osCsid=s2h6c87qkp503fnfg5m3kmae44

Thoughts and recommendations?

PeakingDuck
23rd February 2010, 10:33 PM
Looks a bit small that one, should do the job though.

Others to consider are Noby Booth and RS-Yasu.

Rice86
24th February 2010, 08:30 AM
For the airbox I was going to use something like this:

http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_49_84_157&products_id=127&osCsid=s2h6c87qkp503fnfg5m3kmae44

Thoughts and recommendations?

not bad, cheap too
but to cut your own holes...>@

willio
24th February 2010, 10:34 PM
not bad, cheap too
but to cut your own holes...>@

Yea it's only fibreglass - plus I'm sure Weber holes are differently sized to others.