PDA

View Full Version : painting strut brace brackets

hugh
29th September 2009, 07:00 PM
Hey Guys,

I painted my strut brace brackets, but when you tighten the bolts down onto them, the pain just cracks...any ideas on helping this??

Given, the paint I used was low quality but the concept is the same with other higher quality paint

Cheers
Hugh

blair
29th September 2009, 07:03 PM
washers?

Rice86
29th September 2009, 07:07 PM
washers?

lol couldnt of said it better...

but if you dont want to use washers...
have you tried spraying clear on it?... do you really want to put that much effert?..

hugh
29th September 2009, 07:12 PM
painting wouldn't take much effort..they are just bare allow at the moment and look kindda shit

ke70dave
29th September 2009, 07:15 PM
or powerder coat them if your keen, thats not cheap. but it looks great.

alternatively, repaint, and add washers. and be careful when you tighten. be careful that you dont scrath the surface with your socket too. though washes should help with this too.

and if all else failes, put up with it!:P

Touge Boy
29th September 2009, 07:32 PM
would only cost $20-$30 to powdercoat them.... or you could have them anodized for around the same coin.

Or repaint, use washers and put up with it.

Vance
29th September 2009, 07:48 PM
ghetto tape up and respray whilst still on car?

hugh
29th September 2009, 08:39 PM
i'm not too fussed, and could put up with it, but painting will only take a sec and if im going to do it, id rather the paint not crack straight away, wouldn't washers create the same problem, just further out from the nut

Chrisso
30th September 2009, 09:51 AM
The washer will provide a surface for the bolt to rub against as you tighten it while not moving against the paint, thus reducing cracking from friction. Also, it will provide a greater surface area so you disperse the pressure and further reduce the chance of cracking.

shakes
30th September 2009, 11:09 AM
also do a few light coats rather than one heavy coat of paint.

hachi_dk
30th September 2009, 02:02 PM
i just sprayed my strut brace brackets with epoxy gloss black.
the paint is very durable so with a washer, the paint shouldnt crack at all.
will get pics when its fitted.
Fil.

hachi_dk
30th September 2009, 02:03 PM
double post.

Sam-Q
1st October 2009, 10:22 AM
if you really keep you could put a flex agent in the paint, but as the guys said use some washers, stainless ones are cheap and look great

marvis
1st October 2009, 11:21 AM
I have nothing to add which has not already been mentioned..

Plan on entering autosalon?