PDA

View Full Version : L.S.D set up

JDM_KING
12th January 2009, 12:55 PM
Hi guy, i was just wanting to no what L.S.D set up is best for drifting and daily driving???

i have a kazz 2 way L.S.D in my ae86 levin but i was wanting to no if it puts to much strain on the gear box for very day driving for it rips up the road when i go around cornes slow??? some people say to install a 1.5 way or even a 1 way to do drifting and steel have it as a every day car is these true? please help

2 way?

1.5 way?

or

1 way?

Ae86sam
12th January 2009, 02:23 PM
2 way.. I had a TRD Mech 2way for ages in my daily and it was fine.. Drifting isn't as good with a 1.5 way and terrible with a 1 way..

Your Kaaz 2way would be awesome..

johl
12th January 2009, 02:43 PM
i rock a cusco 2 way in my daily driven drift car. its fine

JUG-HEAD
12th January 2009, 02:44 PM
yeah i got a TOMEI 2 way in mine and when the car was actually driven on the street i had no problems wat so ever

ThatsHowWeRoll
12th January 2009, 02:44 PM
yes i have a kaaz 2-way and it is tight as ya sister...and is fine driving daily.

Positives outway the negatives easily.....if you cant deal with you need to man up.

dave2221
12th January 2009, 02:58 PM
what are the negatives for a LSD on a daily (that i may not know of)

i understand tehre is some clunking, but is there anythign else?

marvis
12th January 2009, 07:32 PM
http://offroadingsubarus.com/images/welded_rear_subaru_diff_welded.jpg

Do it.

Robo86
12th January 2009, 07:51 PM
lol

2way is fine mate

3s-86
12th January 2009, 08:01 PM
Hey mate
A 2 way is still good for a daily it also depends on how much initial
preload it's got to start with.

marvis
12th January 2009, 08:19 PM
Did someone say initial d!!"?!?!

2way ftw though.

JDM_KING
13th January 2009, 09:44 AM
thanks guys for your input coz i love the feel of the 2 way in the wet and dry around corner :DD

Hokey
13th January 2009, 09:57 AM
if you love the feel why'd you post up?

sell the 2 way and weld it up. spend the money in more important areas :P

JDM_KING
13th January 2009, 10:02 AM
i post up coz i wanted to know if it was puting strain on the gear box around slow corners not when im drifting

Simon-KE70
13th January 2009, 05:31 PM
no, not the box, but rather the bushes in the rear and the axles slightly. but really, its not doing any damage unless it locked

Rice86
22nd January 2009, 08:41 AM
yeah locked diff is another story to tell
who needs a sub for a sound system when u got a clunking diff ^^

tricky_dan
23rd January 2009, 04:11 PM
locker for the win! i agree with spending money on more important things.. lol

Medwin_3sGTE_AE86
23rd January 2009, 07:46 PM
Proper locker - ie Detroit or LockRite Locker..... Depending on what model diff you have i guess as to whether you can source a locker for it....

Free wheeling when off power, locked solid when ever any power goes through it = Big sideways :P

resol
27th January 2009, 11:31 PM
1 way - locks on acceleration only (cone type, clutch type, viscious)
1.5 way - locks on acceleration and under hard decceleration
2 way - locks under both accel/decceleration.
welded - locked all the time

having permainately locked rears causes under steer on corner entry, and oversteer on exit. a 2-way gives a little bit of free play in the rear so theres less understeer but still over steer when the powers applied.

as far as daily driving goes the only easy one to live with without noticing it would be 1 way, which is NO GOOD for drifting. i've had a welded diff in my cars for years. only trouble i have run into is broken axles. but that coems with thrashing a car on a regular basis anyway.

my verdict, lock the stock center, drive it, drift it and rate it. if you dont liek it buy a new center and get a 2 way.

-dan

mr2drift
2nd February 2009, 11:34 PM
LOCKER ftw..........

dr1ft-pig
3rd February 2009, 12:58 AM
+1

cheap/effective/and old ppl look at you funny when driving in carparks, what more could u want

Jonny Rochester
3rd February 2009, 01:35 PM
Any brand or style of LSD should work fine with normal driving and in car parks. It does not matter wether its a 1-way or 2-way. (A standard Toyota LSD for AE86 is a 2-way by the way). A healthy Toyota or TRD LSD does not clunk at all.

If your LSD acts like a locker and skips the tyres a bit in the carpark, it is probably because it has been shimmed up with a higher preload that what is "normal". Again, it does not matter if it's a 1-way or 2-way etc.

If you want to do agressive driving at the track, drifting etc, then you want a 2-way LSD. And it will be fine for the street (except maybe if it's shimmed to act as a locker). Unless... you are actualy a very poor driver, come to a sharp corner on a country road that has a bit of water on it, and you change from 4th to 3rd agressively, at which point the 2-way locks up for a split second and you loose it. Most here would just make the most of that situation and open the throttle a bit. But, if that scares you...

johl
3rd February 2009, 02:47 PM
lsd's are fine on the street. honestly i went from a locker to a cusco 2 way and i cant even tell the difference when im sliding. mine just chatters a tiny bit when its cold and i do a u turn. however a tomei 2 way will chatter alot as they are the 'tightest' lsd going around

JDM_KING
3rd February 2009, 08:19 PM
well that helps with understanding about L.S.D thanks mate

driftke70
5th February 2009, 12:48 AM
if you drive a certain way it doesnt clunk, just a bit more revs and the inside just gently spins

im all for 2 ways, sure they cost a bit more but the feeling is heavenly.

seek
21st November 2009, 08:21 PM
just to bump this thread quicky...

first, ill say that ive never owned an LSD before, so can someone just clarify a few things.

so ive got a TRD 2way lsd. everything has been inspected, fitted properly, new bearings and all. the lsd was also tightened up as per my request.

so basically, how much does a trd 2way lsd chatter? i find when going around corners, and have no throttle at all (coasting) it chatters pretty loud, but if i give it some throttle, it tends to quiet right down.

there are ZERO other noises, the diff is almost silent, its just the chatter around corners that im not sure about?

ill give it a thorough testing tonight when people go to sleep, but any input would be great...

Chaos Theory
21st November 2009, 09:10 PM
standard jap T series LSD is 1 way or 1.5 way?

corknose
21st November 2009, 09:21 PM
i had a trd 2 way in mine locks up everytime doesnt clunk can spin one wheel when others on the ground.

seek
22nd November 2009, 10:29 AM
just to bump this thread quicky...

first, ill say that ive never owned an LSD before, so can someone just clarify a few things.

so ive got a TRD 2way lsd. everything has been inspected, fitted properly, new bearings and all. the lsd was also tightened up as per my request.

so basically, how much does a trd 2way lsd chatter? i find when going around corners, and have no throttle at all (coasting) it chatters pretty loud, but if i give it some throttle, it tends to quiet right down.

there are ZERO other noises, the diff is almost silent, its just the chatter around corners that im not sure about?

ill give it a thorough testing tonight when people go to sleep, but any input would be great...

anyone else able to comment? cheers

hachi_dk
22nd November 2009, 05:06 PM
anyone else able to comment? cheers

when you give light throttle, it releives the lsd slightly from locking under decell and chatters less.

this vid will explain it alot better, basically your diff takes less accel and less decell to lock as its been shimmed...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=who5AG3MjNQ

spiderman
22nd November 2009, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna say weldy FTW, spend the money you save on sussy/power/whatever

.ady
22nd November 2009, 09:54 PM
standard jap T series LSD is 1 way or 1.5 way?

2 way as johnny has stated above

corknose
22nd November 2009, 11:24 PM
my 2 way doesnt chatter unless hard accelertation from a stand still really or i dont notice it.

corknose
22nd November 2009, 11:24 PM
I'm gonna say weldy FTW, spend the money you save on sussy/power/whatever

yeh but when u wanna do a bit of grip driving it makes u under steer and its shit starts to break stuff u best off saving for lsd.

driftke70
23rd November 2009, 12:50 AM
depends on how well worn it is too and if its run in nicely, mine were always silent, even when it ended up having cracked clutch discs,

mine always spun two but was starting to spin one a little here and there and after slydar got his hands on it for his beige thing he found the cracked plates. Easy fix i hear though.

Seek if duncan did it then its most probably a smidge on the tight side and will wear in over a period of a month or so of driving.

blair
23rd November 2009, 08:07 AM
this thread is tearing my thoughts in half!!

i just got a kaaz 2 way in a whole rear end... i only really wanted it for the 4.77's BUT

now i dunno if its worth keeping the 2 way... theres heaps of other things i'd rather spend the 700bucks on!!

hachi_dk
23rd November 2009, 01:18 PM
2 way LSD ftw

driftke70
23rd November 2009, 06:17 PM
lsd is like riding a bmx with good pressures in the tyres compared to a locker which is like pulling it out the garage and riding it with them a bit flat.

Hen may possibly be a nut
23rd November 2009, 07:34 PM
If your diff chatters, try running it in again: slow figure 8s as tight as you can in a carpark. Clutch in while you've got the wheel turned. Do it for half an hour. Change oil.

I ran a locker for years. It worked and I loved it. A good 2way feels slightly better to drift and is nicer to drive daily too.

Hen

seek
23rd November 2009, 08:20 PM
If your diff chatters, try running it in again: slow figure 8s as tight as you can in a carpark. Clutch in while you've got the wheel turned. Do it for half an hour. Change oil.

I ran a locker for years. It worked and I loved it. A good 2way feels slightly better to drift and is nicer to drive daily too.

Hen

Diff guy gave me some penrite additive that made it near silent.

I also used to swear by a locker, simply because it was cheap and effective. But after recently fitting my LSD it makes hills runs better, daily driving great, and for skids I can't tell much of a difference other then it being more smooth

driftke70
23rd November 2009, 08:30 PM
it takes some load off your driveline too, doesnt put so much force on all your bushes seams of your chassis, gear box clutch, your arms etc.

Just way more refined and the way it should be.

sundee
24th November 2009, 08:49 PM
i reckon LSD's are well worth the investment, ive driven with both locker, 1.5 way and 2 way and the locker by far gave the worst handeling.
but if u cant afford one a locker over open any day!

corknose
24th November 2009, 10:16 PM
just a question when i pull out of my drive way one wheel drops in the gutter and just spinds doesnt lock, but i pull out of a corner bit of throttle it locks?

i paid for a 2 way but as it doesnt lock when i back out of my driveway i think its not.t

driftke70
25th November 2009, 11:50 AM
its not under positive load

DR86TY
17th December 2009, 12:53 PM
I always thought LSD was short for locked stock diff???

Rice86
17th December 2009, 03:58 PM
I always thought LSD was short for locked stock diff???

you made my year for 2009 :hehe:

DR86TY
17th December 2009, 04:37 PM
Ive been driving and drifting on the track with my locked stock diff, sure it whines like your ex girlfriend, but if your after cheap and effective, a locker would be the way to go.

2 way = $1500 +
Locker = $15 + banana skin to make it quiet.

If your just starting out i would go a locker for sure, and spend the $1485 you have just saved on some wicked suspension and sway bars.

Drift_Dan
18th January 2010, 04:48 PM
Limited Slip Differential mate, love the banana skins old school, used to use them in a torana i had many years ago.