PDA

View Full Version : Buying rims from US...worth it/your 2 cents?

Sleeper
1st October 2009, 08:54 PM
So I'm after a nice pair of Konig rewinds or Superlites which in aus seemed to be way overpriced when considering the US price.

I know there are a numerous companies who will allow you to ship different goods to them before redirecting them to Australia to avoid the import tax as well as to get the goods over here as numerous buisnesses simply won't do it.

-Has anyone got experience with this?
-Would you recommend it?
-Are there any alternate ways of getting a set of fresh rims for a decent price in Aus or another way altogether?
-Finally, what are some of the biggest rims that konig and superlite make which fit well on the sprinter?

Sorry about the numerous questions...:right:

bigm
1st October 2009, 08:58 PM
superlites can be had for around or under 1000 a set. 15x8 that is.

not a bad price.

i dont know how much cheaper they are in the US, but wouldnt be that great after freight, import tax etc.

Javal
1st October 2009, 09:02 PM
15x8 -4 superlights fit with minor guard rolling.

You won't find a cheaper price on superlights from the US, as they are made in Australia anyway, in Adelaide. They're $1k a set or thereabouts seems to be the going rate for brand new ones.

Sleeper
1st October 2009, 09:17 PM
Yeah that does seem like a good price.

Is there anywhere in particular people generally buy from?

Javal
1st October 2009, 09:26 PM
Yeah that does seem like a good price.

Is there anywhere in particular people generally buy from?

Generally AJPS is first port of call for Adelaide people. From memory shipping auswide is $25/rim? that was a while ago though.

Rhys.
1st October 2009, 09:55 PM
have you got wheels worth swapping for my 15 x 7 rewinds? im looking to swap for a bit of a change

and i live in oyster bay ;)

Sleeper
2nd October 2009, 02:13 AM
have you got wheels worth swapping for my 15 x 7 rewinds? im looking to swap for a bit of a change

and i live in oyster bay ;)

Yeah mate that sounds sweet.

I'm not sure what look you are going for but...I currently have 4 polo chrome rims, great condition and the tyres on them have around 60-70% tread?

Pretty sure they are 17" but no idea how wide

hitoriko
2nd October 2009, 03:08 PM
joshie mcslide in melb got some from the US & A i think it ended up being about 250/300 cheaper all up including post - these weren't rewinds or superlites i dont think but a rims is a rim in shipping terms

Sleeper
3rd October 2009, 12:44 AM
True, I thought it would work out being a slight bit cheaper so i'll get a few quotes and see how I go.

Grant #2
3rd October 2009, 08:35 AM
Too bad you can't just get them directly from China?

Konakid
3rd October 2009, 01:26 PM
huh??????

Javal
3rd October 2009, 02:19 PM
Too bad you can't just get them directly from China?

You best be referring to sportmax's there boy.

biggo
3rd October 2009, 05:04 PM
USA and Aus have a free trade agreement, there has been no instance where i have paid import tax on usa goods

Grant #2
5th October 2009, 05:25 AM
What the eff, we're talking about Konig rewinds right? I was under the strong impression Konigs are from the same place as Sport Maxx...am I wrong?

hachirusto
5th October 2009, 09:41 AM
does it matter if they are from china, the quality control on Chinese manufactured products aren't as bad as they use to be, have you seen either koing or sportmaxx rims fail?

marvis
5th October 2009, 11:33 AM
Yes.

marvis.

Sam-Q
5th October 2009, 11:38 AM
really? do tell