PDA

View Full Version : Best solvent for breaking down carbon

Vezza
2nd October 2009, 01:01 AM
As the title says. Anyone know of a really good solvent for soaking valves (out of engine) in to remove the baked on carbon?

Cerby86
2nd October 2009, 01:04 AM
BURN IT WITH FIRE!!!!!

No I really don't know. You would have to be careful it doesn't effect the material if your soaking it for a long time. Maybe fuel??

70XIN
2nd October 2009, 01:36 AM
Caustic soda. You can buy the stuff from your local woolies etc (comes in a little plastic jar/bucket). Mix with water, put valves in, pull them out every so often and give a wash/scrub just to agitate the carbon to help it come off.

If you heat the solution it works even better.

WARNING: Wear eye protection, gloves, long sleeves, shoes, etc etc... Its' use (amongst other things) is dissolving bodies. You will know super quickly if you spill it on yourself (terrible itching, which if you don't wash off will result in terrible burning). Also, don't breath the shit in! Same deal as the above, but with your lungs..

Vezza
2nd October 2009, 02:33 AM
Oh yeah, I've split the shit on my skin before. Burnt like hell!. Never knew you could use it for carbon though, i"ll give it a crack

af300e
2nd October 2009, 12:02 PM
Wire brush on a bench grinder, and go easy on them. If you are getting sparks then you're probably removing valve.

biggo
3rd October 2009, 10:34 AM
carby cleaner?

Vezza
3rd October 2009, 12:20 PM
Tried that, wasn't much chop. It got the looser stuff off but not the hard baked on carbon which is hard as a rock or essentially coal lol.

70XIN
3rd October 2009, 01:08 PM
Carby cleaner is just a low strength caustic solution

But yeah, if you have a drill-press and a wire brush that'd also be good.

Jdm070
3rd October 2009, 06:53 PM
use an oven cleaner (foam) spray. I've rebuilt a few 2stroke motors and its the best stuff for cleaning the carbon off the power valves.

DX20VT
3rd October 2009, 07:11 PM
Subaru upper engine cleaner?

If it's available in Aust. Get it from the Subaru Dealership.

In Nz we use it in all the Mitsi GDI crap to remove the caked on carbon from the intakes.

Jip86
4th October 2009, 02:19 PM
you can get some stuff in a can called gasket stripper, took two applications+wire brush on my pistons but they came up pretty clean.