PDA

View Full Version : How to take off rubber side mouldings without bending them

Patric
2nd October 2009, 10:26 PM
Most ppl fail doing this as they just yank em off and they bend.
Once this happens. say bye bye to your side mouldings.

Personally, I like them for road cars. Nothing worse then a trolley dent due to some twat in a carpark.

Tools
1 small hammer or rubber mallet
1 plastic scrapper/spatula (I used an old one from gyprocking some plater)

The reason for the plastic spatula is that over metal. You will be less likely to scrape the metal off your door.

Step 1. Insert spatula into side of door moulding
Step 2. Hammer Spatula
Step 3. Ease the rubber side moulding off slowly (not more then 2 inches/ 5cm )
Step 4. Repeat steps 1-3, slowly moving the spatula up as you get through it.

Notes: Be warey that previously resprayed cars may get some paint lift.
Do this at your own risk.
If anyone knows of a better way, please post it.

Golberg
3rd October 2009, 09:53 AM
I did a similar thing but I also soaked them in De-solve-it to breakdown the adhesive first.

Didn't do any harm to my paint either.

Marco
1st November 2009, 05:09 PM
that de-solve-it stuff and a piano wire? if you pull sortof away from the car you shouldn't hit the paint.

Golberg
1st November 2009, 05:33 PM
I personally wouldn't use a piano wire as it might scratch your paint.

Joshie_Mcslide
5th November 2009, 01:32 PM
If you do happen to bend them....they can be heated and straitend at any decent panel beaters!
Will post pics after I have it done on the markII....getting 2 doors repaired,the strips are badly creased!

stx-16
19th November 2009, 11:26 AM
i did the same thing as the first post but i used a hair dryer as well just to soften the adhesive and the adhesive came off the paint with the moulding i was very happy with my work

Mr Awsome
6th December 2009, 01:10 AM
shit ain't hard. if ape like panel beaters can do it, so can any one.

john84ie
6th December 2009, 01:58 AM
i made a balls of this,lack of patience=retard!i used a heat gun and a screwdriver,wasnt workin well so rippe them off,left loadsa scrapes, but hopein for a resprey soon anyway, no wonder i get my mate ta do all car related stuff for me!!

Eircamae86
6th December 2009, 10:36 AM
Ive used mig wire on a hot day very effectively before

sprinter666
15th January 2010, 10:14 PM
used plastic spatula and hammer, worked well but now for the degreaser to get the left over rubber n glue off, any advice on that? :) if not thanks anyway this was very helpful :D

joe.

driftke70
18th January 2010, 12:54 AM
some kind of solvent like acetone or wax and grease remover. Little bit of heat might'n hurt.

sprinter666
18th January 2010, 08:34 AM
heat up the sidestrips beforeu pull em off was a pain getting the leftovers off, solvent, razorblade, drench it all in solvent and go nuts, with patience ofcourse slight paint damage but having a touch up on original colour in a bit so didnt hurt to much, just remember.... HEAT EM UP BEFORE U START, then problem solved :)

Patric
18th January 2010, 11:49 AM
try prepsol, dont smoke near or have any hot items near solvents. Or a friend, coworker using an angle grinder, cut off saw, etc nearby.

GAKI86
21st January 2010, 07:32 AM
anyone on eucalyptus oil??

tc-rolla
21st January 2010, 06:05 PM
i took my side mouldings off,but there is a fine-ish layer of the black glue shit on the paint still. how can i get that off without fucking my paint?

ben.

Golberg
21st January 2010, 06:50 PM
De-solve-it to breakdown the adhesive

10characte

GAKI86
22nd January 2010, 03:03 AM
eucalyptus used it to remove double sided tapes on my windows after xmas season.. good shit..