PDA

View Full Version : Project LPG 4K-CT

thepunisher
5th October 2009, 01:24 AM
Hey. Thought you guys may be interested in my ke project. I have had this ke for a few years now. I bought it on gas for $500. In the last couple of weeks I have added a turbo setup too it. It is now running straight gas and is quite impressive with its newfound performance.

Parts use are:
T25 turbo off ca18det
Subaru liberty rs water to air intercooler, pump and heat exchanger
Custom "J-pipe" to mount turbo from stock manifold
custom dump
elec thermo fan
still using standard carby, just as the throttle, Its very restrictive. I wil be looking at fitting an efi throttle body soon.
thats pretty much it other than normal turbo stuff like oil lines etc.

Other than that it has been mostly gutted and suspension work will start soon. Any questions and suggestions fire away!

ke_70
5th October 2009, 01:35 AM
does it chirp 2nd? lol cool as mate

Dave
5th October 2009, 01:52 AM
wow crazy setup nice

R&D Mechanical
5th October 2009, 02:31 AM
how much did the turbo setup cost all up?

wntdae86
5th October 2009, 10:48 AM
man why on lpg tho

Matt-AE86
5th October 2009, 12:09 PM
man why on lpg tho

Why not? It was already there. Why bother with fuel. Great idea I reckon. How does it go ?

taz_rx
5th October 2009, 12:29 PM
Nice setup, always good to see more turbo K's.

As for the bigger throttle body - Get a weber adapter plate (same as you'd use for a cortina/falcon weber) for the K manifold and then you can fit the fuel injection throttle body from the first EFI falcons. They have the hovering injectors which you could just remove for a bit more flow.

Hokey
6th October 2009, 07:43 PM
this car is awesome. came down to ttg last sunday and we went for a bit of a bust after we locked the diff :D

needs less bov though :P

greeneyes
6th October 2009, 07:52 PM
Hate the paintwork but love the turbo!! Very clever- it makes use of all that space on the driver's side!

I see a great lack of battery too.

What sort of boost? The usual 7psi??

Had it over a dyno yet?

thepunisher
7th October 2009, 12:01 AM
It will chirp second once i get a better clutch lol. Id say all up it cost me about $500.
Yeh LPG is easy as to turbo as you dont have to worry about fuel pressure etc, plus it has a higher octane rating than petrol so likes zee boost!
It is runnin the stock boost of the actuator atm so yeh 6-7psi. Will be getting it dynoed at uni so power updates will come soonish i hope.
It still needs to be tuned properly, but it goes awsome! Was doin some nice doughies after the ttg boyz welded the diff up for me (thanks guys). This was on dry bitumen too! (on private property of course) Never thought id see the day it would be doing that lol.

MINIHORSE
7th October 2009, 01:50 AM
i really love dare-to-be-different shit like this, sounds like a pretty good bang for buck mod, would you still expect decent economy out of it?

thepunisher
7th October 2009, 01:09 PM
I filled up the other day, it cost $20 @ 54c/L. and i got 275km so thats $7.20 per 100km or 13.4L/100km. That was including a lot of thrashing and hasnt been tuned properly yet.
What should i do with the timing on it as i have locked the dizzy and have no vac advanced. I found an old 4k turbo thread a while ago and thats what people did on petrol ones. It is missfiring under full throttle at about 4000 rpm and above, This is also when boost fully kicks in so yeh, I really need to figure that out cos it sucks.

drift kid
7th October 2009, 01:17 PM
pretty crazy looking, love the idea's and bet it goes half decent ;)

taz_rx
7th October 2009, 01:55 PM
What do you have the timing set at (locked)?
I used to run around 20-25* BTDC static. That was good for around 20psi.
Re-graphing the dizzy would be better than a locked up one, and you can modify a boost retard solenoid (rather than vac advance) onto the side of the dizzy.

What plugs are you using also? I'm now using b7es with a gap of about 0.8mm.

A CDI unit like an MSD 6A (or 6AL if you want a limiter) wouldn't be a bad investment either.

thepunisher
7th October 2009, 08:52 PM
I was running about 15deg btdc, now running 25 or so it is a lot better cheers. spark plugs are bpr6ey gapped to 0.8mm, i just asked for colder ones at Burson.
Did you run 20psi of boost? seems a lot for the 4k lol

Hokey
7th October 2009, 08:56 PM
speak to the ignition blokes in nunawading. they are guns with this kinda shit. i think it's performance ignition or something.

did the plug gap at .8 fix the missing?

Water Boy
7th October 2009, 09:07 PM
speak to the ignition blokes in nunawading. they are guns with this kinda shit. i think it's performance ignition or something.

did the plug gap at .8 fix the missing?

Performance Ignitions
Unit 47, 41 - 49 Norcal Road
Nunawading 3131
Victoria Australia
Tel (03) 9872 3644
Fax (03) 9873 2646

thepunisher
7th October 2009, 09:15 PM
the plugs didnt seem to do much, when i advanced it it ran heaps better.

Matt-AE86
7th October 2009, 09:43 PM
Whats the timing at, at the moment ?

Joshie_Mcslide
7th October 2009, 10:00 PM
Thats cool as!!

Got any pics of the whole car?

It better be low!
hahaha
Nah good work man!

Josh

thepunisher
7th October 2009, 11:43 PM
timing is at about 25 -30. yeh ill get some pics up soon, its not the cleanest ke around tho lol.

taz_rx
8th October 2009, 08:34 AM
I was running about 15deg btdc, now running 25 or so it is a lot better cheers. spark plugs are bpr6ey gapped to 0.8mm, i just asked for colder ones at Burson.
Did you run 20psi of boost? seems a lot for the 4k lol

Try some b7es, you'll see when you get them they have a shorter electrode that suppose to reduce spark getting blown out under boost. That and the fact they're a colder plug aswell makes them good. Have mates who also run them in R33's and also a supercharged 202 so pretty versitile plug.

Yeah was running 20 odd psi with the old carby turbo setup. Not sure of exact boost as guage went to 15psi and the needle was slapping the stopper pretty hard, can only guess around 20psi. Here's a vid - turn the sound up and you can hear it boosts so hard it bounces on the rear shocks.....
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b396/taz_rx/stuff/?action=view&current=100_0961.flv

This is my new fuel injected, turbo 5k setup.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqPXi3bUBSo

thepunisher
8th October 2009, 11:12 PM
I closed the gap on the plugs i have now and it ran a fair bit better (from 0.8 to 0.55). will try those b7e's sometime tho.
Gee 20 psi, i wouldn't of thought the 4k would have lasted very long at that boost. Where did u have the gauge reading from? did u modify the standard carby to open the secondary throttle? we have modified mine but its not very permanent lol.
I was looking at the jaycar ignition control kit. Wonder if that would be worth giving a try??

hachi_dk
9th October 2009, 12:44 AM
lmao that is maddd

taz_rx
9th October 2009, 10:10 AM
I closed the gap on the plugs i have now and it ran a fair bit better (from 0.8 to 0.55). will try those b7e's sometime tho.
Gee 20 psi, i wouldn't of thought the 4k would have lasted very long at that boost. Where did u have the gauge reading from? did u modify the standard carby to open the secondary throttle? we have modified mine but its not very permanent lol.
I was looking at the jaycar ignition control kit. Wonder if that would be worth giving a try??

Yeah mate K's are a bit stronger than peopl give them credit for. That old 4k is still going, now NA with a 3k head in another car.
Guage was running off a post-butterfly vacuum/boost source in the inlet manifold.
The weber I was using was mechanical secondary. Sounds like yours in vacuum secondary.... which can be a bit hard to open when you're on boost!!:DD
Yeah jaycar kit would be worth a try, even just to learn.

Can I suggest you contact this guy.....
http://www.rollaclub.com/board/?showtopic=16635
He has a 5k running an S15 T28 at about 16psi on straight gas. Might be able to give you some more pointers on the ignition side of things with gas.

Si.;)

boost+k
9th October 2009, 12:03 PM
i used to run around 22degrees on a lcoked dissy on my k series turbos

i also used to use the factory iridium plugs from a subaru gapped down to .7

i did a few laps at the track free boosting and it melted a few gaskets, 17psi seemed to be the sweet spot on that motor :DD

thepunisher
10th October 2009, 01:13 AM
lol at u guys running heaps of boost. I was thinking 10psi would have been pushing it:S
In other news I believe we have found whats behind the missfiring problem. When i turn on the thermo and water pump for the IC it missfires much more, without them on its not that bad. So im guessing the alternator is dying or just not up to the job. How much is a new one lol.

greeneyes
10th October 2009, 11:44 AM
Fix it!

Probably needs brushes, and you could replace the bearings as well if you want it to last.

If the brushes look good, check the diodes, one might be breaking down.

Easy work compared to engine swapping or mounting a turbo!

taz_rx
12th October 2009, 08:36 AM
Up to about 15psi should be ok for daily duties. Switchable boost controllers are good, then you can just run gate pressure most of the time and flick the switch when you're being beaten.:DD
Headgaskets are pretty much always the first thing to go, spend the $80 for a genuine toyota one and it'll last even longer.

I just got an alternator rebuilt for the missus' pug. Cost $190 with new bearing and brushes and labour. One or a couple of the diodes could have come off the plate - They'll still work but won't transfer the charge.
You could get a second hand one for $20'ish but then you might just have the same problem.

Also is the pump and fan running off a relay direct from the battery?
If say you were powering them off the coil + then they'd pull all of the charge out of the coil!!!

thepunisher
20th October 2009, 02:47 PM
ok updates at last. I believe the alternater is not dead it is just not big enough, and as im still using the crappy old coil and dizzy setup as soon as theres a bit of a draw on the system from the ic pump and fan it misses under boost. I have put a beefer coil in and it runs a lot better, hardly misses now. Will be doing more soon to the ignition system.

I had it on the dyno last week at uni. It made 60rwkw!!! at 7psi boost. We dynoed a standard ke70 and it made 33kw. I dynoed the old 4k a while ago at re customs before it was turboed and with a hole in a piston it made 24kw so the dyno at uni seems quite accurate. Will be upping the boost after i have got the ignition stuff sorted ..................... good times lol

EDIT: the pump and fan are running directly off the battery

Wishin86
12th September 2011, 04:53 PM
just food for thought, theres a thread on rollaclub, to build a 80amp alternator using the rear housing/internals off of a vl commodore. essentially you just unbolt the front of the ke alternator and bolt to the front of the commodore one. :D.

Wishin86
12th September 2011, 04:55 PM
woops, sorry i didnt realise how old this was. my bad!