PDA

View Full Version : lathe mill combos?

Tim.duncan
5th October 2009, 07:23 PM
hey guys

i have spent the last week drooling over some home work shop lathe mill combos from the states, smithy is the name they look pretty sweet much better that the china made stuff

any one on hear ever used one or own one? or do you have your own home work shop?

i have a tig welder which comes in handy but i think this will be my next goal for the shed

corknose
7th October 2009, 09:08 AM
I'm a toolmaker (machinist) and at my work we have got 4 maximart brigeport mills and are pretty crap we have a normal lathe and a Manuel lathe converted into a cnc. At home I have a genuine Bridgeport that I got for cheaap as and a lathe that is ok for small stuff , what does this mill/lathe look like is it just a lathe that has a milling head on it?

Tim.duncan
8th October 2009, 07:30 AM
yeah pretty much, smithy have been doing combo stuff for a while now and apparently they are pretty sweet? only seen pics and read reviews so who knows.

i have thought about getting some older second hand machiens but they tend to be bigger and i only have a 2 car gaurage so space is very valuble to me. then again so would a lathe and mill!!
do you find you do allot of machining at home?