PDA

View Full Version : Engineers and 86s

ae8zn6
7th October 2009, 04:45 PM
Hey there guys, Im going to be assembling my new 86 till the end of the year, possibily start of next then want to get it registered legit...

I should be running:
JDM JTV shell (already complied)
GZE with small front mount
Coilovers in front
JDM brakes with slotted rotors and good street/track pads
Factory diff (Ill probably put slotted rotors on the back too)(LSD)
2.25" exhaust with cat etc (hopefully relatively quiet)
TRD blues in the back
adjustable panard rod

uhhhh, other stuff

Anyway, first of all anyone got a car engineered with something similar to that in it?

Second is all of it legal (Ive heard coilovers are okay, apparently that paint the height it was tested at)

Third, anyone know any engineers that are reasonable? (Both price and Severity)

Cheers guys

PS if anyone in canberra wants some 86 bits chuck me a PM as I am planning on parting out a lot of bits

maxhag
8th October 2009, 12:54 AM
Hey man,

What part of Canberra are you in?

The word is that John wilson is the best engineer to go to in the ACT. Many modifiers use him......

What parts are you getting rid of? Do you have any JDM (disc) handbrake cables?

JoJo

ToySprinta
8th October 2009, 03:51 PM
There's a new guy on here who's doing justin's car. Seems like a good bloke :)

nelpd96|
10th October 2009, 02:27 PM
That would be me :) Only problem is that I am moving in a couple of months, happy to fly back down though to finalise the report and things if you are willing to pay for flights etc. I think Townsville - Canberra return can be done from around $250.

Cheers
Paul

riderzx10r
23rd October 2009, 02:34 PM
hey i know this isnt the for sale section but I have a mate who is looking to sell a set up very similar to what you are planing to build. he is a friend of maxhaggard and myself pm me if you want to know about it.

maxhag
28th October 2009, 01:14 AM
Is Jase selling roz?

ryebred_06
29th October 2009, 04:47 PM
yehh...i used john wilson....

hes alright, he likes sprinters and knows there potential so it was cool.

as for pricing h charged me about 800 not including what he wanted me to change..

but as for mods..i dont have anything close to what your wanting to dodo eheh so im not sure how much he'll charge. but um hes a good bloke so if ya need more info give us a buzz...

Ryan

riderzx10r
1st November 2009, 12:55 PM
yeah jojo jase is going to sell it when he gets back in a month or so

Sprinterboy
7th November 2009, 01:39 PM
My vote is to use Paul. (nelpd96|) Paul has gone above and beyond for me.

scoot
9th November 2009, 11:45 AM
John Wilson did mine... i can't recall the exact cost, but the report was $700-$800 and covered;

4agze
frontmount
pod filter
strut brace
adjustable swaybars
lowering
jap t50
t-series diff
jdm brakes
adjustable brake bias valve
battery relocation to boot
momo steering wheel

he was excellent to deal with.

maxhag
10th November 2009, 01:17 AM
Is your car on the road yet Scoot? Or are you still on two wheels?

takai
10th November 2009, 08:50 AM
John Wilson has done 4 of my cars sofar, including the sprinter.
Which went through the RTA with a 37 page engineers report, and a list of mods about that long.
Notably it passed with this stuff, that i didnt think it would:
- in-cabin brake bias valve
- open (mesh filtered) quad throttles
- height adjustable coilovers
- Minimal interior (dash, center console and door trims).
- Bonnet pins
- Boot latches

Went through like this:
http://gallery2.plebeians.net/d/3650-2/dsc_0428_sized.jpg
That photo was taken the day before engineering and 2 days before the RTA appointment.

scoot
11th November 2009, 01:05 PM
Is your car on the road yet Scoot? Or are you still on two wheels?

got it on the road in july last year, but only used it for a handful of months before parking it and heading overseas... pulled it out of the shed and drove it to canberra this week after fixing a few bugs.

nelpd96|
13th November 2009, 10:14 AM
It should be noted that John Wilson has just been suspended from practicing in the ACT for 4 months. I won't go into detail here but those that have spoken to me about him should know why.

kos!
13th November 2009, 10:03 PM
That is rather interesting... Will any of the cars he passed have to be re-assessed?

nelpd96|
21st November 2009, 01:28 PM
No it would not be reasonable to re-inspect all his cars but there is a possibility that some vehicles may be recalled to Dickson to be review.

ae8zn6
8th December 2009, 11:54 AM
It's a Shame you're leaving... I'm affraid that my car will be nowhere near ready by the time your leaving and as such I guess I'll be using someone else...

Mind you if John Wilson isn't opperating for another 3 months I don't know he will be suitable either :(

do you mind if I pm/email a couple of basic questions I have?

john84ie
9th December 2009, 12:34 AM
sorry for off topic,is there any sprinters for sale in act with a decent spec?

maxhag
10th December 2009, 02:09 AM
sorry for off topic,is there any sprinters for sale in act with a decent spec?

message riderzx10r for jase's details. I believe he is selling his 4AGZE powered Spoontah

nelpd96|
11th December 2009, 09:53 PM
Yeah that is fine if you want to ask a couple of questions. I am still happy to do ACTcars as I am still registered there but it just takes some coordination to get down there and back. Return flights are only around $250, and if I can line up a couple of jobs it is a pretty cheap option.

Cheers
Paul

maxhag
11th December 2009, 10:34 PM
Att: ACT guys

As Paul has just said, if there are some of us wanting him to engineer our cars, me might as well organise it for him to come down and do us at the same time

So, Iam putting my name down as one of those people

Who else is interested?

kos!
12th December 2009, 03:44 PM
Im interested once my new motor is in.

ae8zn6
16th December 2009, 11:02 PM
same here

ae8zn6
16th December 2009, 11:05 PM
Addition to my last:

It would be smartest to co-ordinate with Paul via the Web or whatever so that when he turns up here to inspect/sign off on our cars (and will no doubt have some time pressure if there are a few of us) there are no surprises that require re-modification and re-inspection...

For example just from a quick chat the other day I found out my challengers are a no-go due offset

BLIPAE86
22nd December 2009, 03:35 PM
how stiff is the act on mods cause i be moving down from brisbane in january and mines all mod plated and regoed in qld

Sprinterboy
11th January 2010, 01:01 PM
PM Paul with your details and car spec's so he can get back to you on it.

He engineered mine and its about to go over dickson :)

nelpd96|
11th January 2010, 11:00 PM
You should be ok but as Justin said flick me the details of the car and we should be able to work something out. I am living in Townsville now but I am happy to fly down for jobs. I should have a couple lined up around easter time if that suits.

Cheers
Paul

maxhag
13th January 2010, 01:08 AM
Easter time sounds good for me paul. I should be ready then as i've been working on the things you mentioned to me when you came around to my place.

I will be in touch mate,
Regards,
JoJo

shortround
2nd April 2010, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, I've been trying to give Paul a call (on a mobile number ending in 869), but it's always off? Has he got another number? Was hoping to catch up with him this weekend :)

If so, can someone please PM me with the number? Thanks in advance!

Andrew.

maxhag
3rd April 2010, 11:35 AM
Paul just came and inspected my car then. Said it was all good. :)

maxhag
5th April 2010, 01:37 PM
Robbo, Did you end up getting your car ready for Paul?
JoJo

ae8zn6
6th April 2010, 10:31 PM
Well, mostly, cage still hasn't arrived and I had a fair annoying boost leak, but the car passed the brake test etc, couple of DB too loud (not as far over as yours from what I heard), but I know how ill be fixing that already. So yeah, for the most part nearly ready to go over to dickson for its first inspection, ill be away for work for a couple of weeks though, so I don't know how much will get done for a little bit