PDA

View Full Version : ligthening my flywheel???

trikzlane
10th October 2009, 03:59 PM
i have just rebuild my 4ag and i want a bit more power so can i shave of some of the flywheel, yes or no and how much

mereki

maxhag
10th October 2009, 07:46 PM
are you talking about shaving the stock flywheel? Total waste of time, wont make any differance.

Get yourself a lightend flywheel for better effects. There are many available... Xtreme, Toda, AJPS ones etc........

BigBBQ
10th October 2009, 07:50 PM
technically, this will not improve power

trikzlane
10th October 2009, 09:16 PM
ok i wont do it thanks

mereki.

Javal
10th October 2009, 11:39 PM
ok i wont do it thanks

mereki.

Before you write the idea off, have a read of this:

http://ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=11531

resol
11th October 2009, 01:35 AM
you can save quite a lot off stock flywheels typically, especially if your not running a race clutch and/or making big power.

as bigBBQ said you wont technically make more power. lightened flywheels change the characteristics of the car more then anything, they help the enginge rev more freely and build revs better. so depending on head work you will get a few hundred more rev up top and the motor will climb the rev band quicker.

good mod to do, if you know what it does....

-dan

greeneyes
11th October 2009, 10:22 AM
Definately do it!!

Car is noticeably faster in 1 & 2nd gear, & probably a little quicker in 3rd. Stalled it a couple of times initially, but then again the Altezza weighs 1350kg and the flywheel went from 15kg to 7!!

Also makes changing down while left-foot braking easier as engine blips up faster. The daughter learned heel & toe change downs when on her L-plates as the KE has a lightened one as well and the synchros are well-worn.