PDA

View Full Version : need assistance

Rice86
12th October 2009, 03:47 PM
hey guys...another same issue that has come up one to many time at the same southwest place

ive got my engine in the car, running JDM dash+ECU loom, JDM ECU, no exhaust only extractors on

TIMING!! was trying to start the engine for the first time since it has been rebuilt...i have set the timing to my best knowdlege but the most the engine ran for was 1second before stalling?/turned off...

engine is getting fuel for sure as the fuel lines are full of fuel when disconnected, but you might want to double check my fuel line work

i need someone that knows how to time a 4age 100% all the time everytime to ensure that it isnt the timing that is stopping my engine from starting

is any body free enough to come by and time the engine up and have a quick look to see if that isnt the problem...rewards come with good deeds

location Sydney near Liverpool...any help would be great too

pen15
13th October 2009, 01:12 PM
i could lend a hand but would have to be later on in the week the timing is a piece of piss after you have done it a couple of time before

Rice86
13th October 2009, 03:47 PM
haha sweet

yeah im only half sure it could be the timing, so i do hope its just that
i'll be working on it again this weekend. Weather looks good so going to spend a good saturday and sunday again on it,

its pissing me off cause im 95% sure the timing is where it should be atleast to keep the motor running, but its just turns on for a quick second then stalls...

Rice86
20th October 2009, 12:22 PM
ok ive had it with this fucking car...

sundee
20th October 2009, 10:02 PM
u can tell if the timing is to advanced or retarded by the sound of the engine as it cranks.
the more advance u give it the longer the piston is under load on the compression stroke - as u are igniting the fuel:air mixture earlier putting a downward force on an upward moving pistion, so the engine doesnt want to crank freely, kinda sounds like it has higher compression.

the more retarded the timing the lesser the piston is under load on the compression stroke - the spark fires when the piston is closer to TDC

setting the timing is all about igniting the fuel:air mixture in the optimum to generate the maximum down force on a pistion in the power stroke.

so stock ignition timing for a 4A is 10' BTDC so if u have a jdm loom u need to bridge the diagnostic port so u can set the base timing.

this is a 2 pin plug situated on the passenger side firewall. just jig up your own SST (special service tool) using 2 male spade clips and a piece of wire. bridge the terminals.

once done , loosen off the dizzy so you can just turn it, u dont want it to loose.
get a mate, one crank the key and the other rotate the dizzy untill it fires.

u say it has fuel, does it have spark? to check take a lead off a spark plug and place it a few mm from an unpainted surface.. a bolt on the rocker cover. again crank the engine and look/listen for the spark.

everyone who is a backyard mechanic or who wants to learn should download the 4ag diagnostic manual and the ae86 manual.

i have learnt so much from them both!!

if u get it running, go to super cheap and buy yourself an el cheapo timing light and set the timing. from memory if u look at the left hand side bolt on the dizzy their should be about a bolt space in the slot at the top for a rough timing setting, it doesnt need to be 100% because 4a's love a bit more advance

where abouts do u live and what days r u free.. ill see if i can help if what ive mentioned doesnt help u

Rice86
21st October 2009, 08:40 AM
Sundee86

i have 2 JDM ecu looms...one without diagnostic box...one with diagnostic box BUT this loom wont even crank the engine because its missing a plug that connects to the JDM dash loom... i believe i might have a zenki and kouki ECU loom

the loom without the diagnostic box (i believe zenki) does have 4-5 other plugs on it exactly where the diagnostic box should be...2 smaller plugs that looks like a O2 sensor plug and 1-2 bigger one thats about same size as the bigport dizzy connection plug

this is hard to explain without pictures...im at work so cant do anything better to show you

im currently living in Cabramatta 2166 Sydney...
im free today after work about 6PM...or Saturday all daytime (which should be best)..Sunday i will be attending the ae86 annual

"this is a 2 pin plug situated on the passenger side firewall. just jig up your own SST (special service tool) using 2 male spade clips and a piece of wire. bridge the terminals."

is this off the plug that connects into the ECU or is it off the diagnostic box sitting in the engine bay?....if you got pics of how this should be done i think i can give it ago ASAP

redsprinter
21st October 2009, 10:05 AM
"this is a 2 pin plug situated on the passenger side firewall. just jig up your own SST (special service tool) using 2 male spade clips and a piece of wire. bridge the terminals."

this is on the diagnostic box.

google is your friend . link should help - http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=40280

how to time - http://forums.club4ag.com/zerothread?id=2758

sundee
21st October 2009, 10:32 AM
their u go.. ive never seen the black box before, mine was just the plugs hanging from the loom.. near the wiper motor.
those 2 smaller plugs, one is a single pin and the other is a 2 pin plug, the 2 pin plug is your friend and their the terminals u need to bridge to set the base timing.

Rice86
21st October 2009, 10:40 AM
thanks for the info so far...goign to try this at home...its given me hope again =p

Rice86
22nd October 2009, 11:55 AM
so gave it a shot
damh thing didnt even show the check engine light when i bridged the yellow plug with 2 holes......

ima post this issue on tech section see if i can get more info

sundee
22nd October 2009, 12:39 PM
so gave it a shot
damh thing didnt even show the check engine light when i bridged the yellow plug with 2 holes......

ima post this issue on tech section see if i can get more info

from memory even if the check engine light doesnt work it doesnt mean that the ecu hasn't gone into that mode (i dont know what its called)

it really wont matter unless you can get the engine started and running 1st.

your better off to have it un bridged to start the engine initially untill u can get it starting every time.

This is the golden page of manuals!!!
download and read alot!! this is the best link i have ever found!

http://www.aeu86.org/index/technical-ae86-manuals/cat/9/topic=5158

Rice86
23rd October 2009, 06:23 PM
ok i'll be working on my car 2morow (SATURDAY 24th OCT)

0433170059 is my number if anyone is bord and willing to come around my place in Cabramatta to give me a hand...best time to call would be after 11:30AM

no preassure to come haha but help would be awesome if i still cant get any progress

will see you fellas at the annual meetup neways =p

sundee
23rd October 2009, 08:46 PM
1130?? get up at 7 and get stuck into it, go throught the manual i posted , will take u 2 hrs max

Rice86
28th October 2009, 01:33 PM
1130?? get up at 7 and get stuck into it, go throught the manual i posted , will take u 2 hrs max

didnt get jackshit done that weekend...other things came up and annual was on the sunday

will checking everything with brand new multimeter i bought on the weekend though :thumbup:

also have petrol in the fuel tank so if it goes up shitcreek i'll just burn it up:(