PDA

View Full Version : please help, few 86 problems

khai2298
12th October 2009, 04:06 PM
hey guy just bought my 1st sprinter with the 4ac :(, any way, the brake lights have been very annoyingly staying on and shit, to the point that there always on unless i wedge a spanner behind the brake petal to push it out has anyone had this problem? and solutions?

also because of this the battery goes flat a lot, today i jump started it and let it idle for roughly 20min, then took the key out but the engine stayed on and began to sound like it stalled. then it cut out and a lil bit of smoke came out of engine bay, i opened the bonnet and nothing unusual, took it for a drive and noticed it is idling low, and course shaking a the car more then usual, the temp gauge needle also just flops around with bumps ahaha anybody help me out, i am kinda newb to this and would do the 4age conversion but on p plate laws :( so need to stick with the 4ac for at least another year.

thank guys
khai

Rice86
12th October 2009, 04:23 PM
brake light being on because of a sagging brake pedal?...thats a first...if that IS the cause, check the metal spring that pulls the brake pedal forward towards the driver, i dont think that should be the problem since ive never'd herd of a pedal that sagged in a way...

and ur engine stayed on and stalled even when the key came out...get use to it hahah its a 4ac, ive notice this happening to both carby cars i have driven, its something they do when engine condition is poor?...service it and see if that doesnt help it...

with everything else i cant really help, not that i did in the first place haha

just get use to it all, your now driving an old car =]

ke70dave
12th October 2009, 04:26 PM
there is a switch on your brake pedal, with a little rubber gromit lookin thing that pushes against it to turn your brake lights off.

the rubber gromit tends to perish, and thus the switch is not depressed, and thus your brake lights will stay on. check out this switch and you shoudl be able to push it with your finger and make sure its working properly. if the gromit is perished replace it. you can prolly find something to jam in its place.

as for the other issue its very difficult to diagnose such a thing over the Internets. where do you live?

also there is nothing wrong with a 4ac, quite good engines. heaps better than 4kc.

kk86
12th October 2009, 04:32 PM
yer im a autoelec and it sounds like the brake light switch

gotta get the age im doing a conversion at the moment

khai2298
12th October 2009, 04:32 PM
well i dont mind all that, after i drove it out i noticed a big rubber ring was on the gound, it had snapped off, it looks like one of those rings that r used to mount the exhaust but i dunno exhaust looks fine and.

khai2298
12th October 2009, 04:34 PM
i live in nundah, welcoming anybody to help me out, i think the motor is fine but it definitely doesn't feel the same after what happened today.

H8CHIR6KU
12th October 2009, 04:58 PM
have you checked the coolant level. prob find you might have just enough coolant in there to just be touching the sender and then not touching the sender. this causes the flopping around.

i had this happen before tripped me out

khai2298
12th October 2009, 06:34 PM
i will check actually cuz i lost some coolant whil hooking up the heater

greeneyes
12th October 2009, 07:06 PM
..and I assume the exhaust hanger rubber snapped because the engine was rocking too much.

It sounds like it was "running on" after you pulled the key out, which is either timing too retarded, or too hot, or coked up. It tried to run backwards (which is why it shakes all over the place) and 'diesels' on without any spark plugs working.

So, check coolant level, check temp guage is showing cold when water is cold and warm when you can just put your finger in it. (run it without a rad cap for 10minutes) Do a tuneup- Check all 4 plugs and see if they look the same, or are some more carboned up than others, check timing, tappet gaps, air filter and usual stuff.

khai2298
12th October 2009, 07:21 PM
thanks everyone will have a look tomorrow
the temp gauge is fucked i think the needle moves from the car hitting bumps, but i think it could be coolant

khai2298
12th October 2009, 07:24 PM
thanks everyone will have a look tomorrow
the temp gauge is fucked i think the needle moves from the car hitting bumps, but i think it could be coolant

khai2298
12th October 2009, 08:10 PM
basically the difference is, when i am almost stopped or like going slow it feels as if it is about to stall

blair
12th October 2009, 11:02 PM
just turn the idle screw up a bit lol! its a 4ac.. i ran mine with next to no oil for months on end. so much love haha