PDA

View Full Version : carbon fiber

spoz
16th October 2009, 07:02 PM
where in australia has carbon fiber parts , e.g doors, hatch, bonnet and guards.
anyone got numbers,email or website in australia?

am i right in saying it dose not rust? whats the benifits of carbon fiber over anything els and the pros and cons.

thinking of getting a hatch, because mine is starting to rust insted of getting it fixed

feed back?

ae71
16th October 2009, 09:39 PM
well weight of corse.

no one in Aus makes them to my knowledge.

if your painting it then fibreglass is lighter and cheaper.

Delazy
16th October 2009, 10:10 PM
no1 in australia makes carbon/fibreglass hatches and if they do your looking at over 1k for one...

myself and mark have 3 hatches on the way under importation atm...

my hatch is rust free, well im 99% sure...will be for sale, but not just yet if ur interested

taz_rx
10th November 2009, 11:12 AM
If you were really keen on getting some made then get on ausrotary.com and find a guy named Alexis - username 13BEEF. He has been getting gen1 rx7 bits made and selling them on there. Bonnets, headlight covers, even dash facias.

Might be worth talking to him about group buying some. If you got enough interest 'he'd porbably make you some and a reasonable price.

Just food for though. ;)

Here's an example of his work....

http://ausrotary.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=114900&hilit=carbon

10000rpm
10th November 2009, 07:35 PM
How does this sound...????

I have a spare pair of doors, a hatch and a bonnet...yes I am a hoarder...lol

If someone has the time, and the energy, (in short supply amongst you young buiggers I know) :omg: i will donate shed space and the panels etc, for someone to mould them up...mmmmkay????

Thoughts????

moulds for fibreglass of course...carbon fib is too expensive and difficult for low budget ppl...

mack 10
10th November 2009, 10:29 PM
You have no idea the time and cost it takes to make moulds.

10000rpm
11th November 2009, 09:43 AM
Enlighten me then...:thumbup:

I'm guessing you may have done some moulds yourself, if so, would you be prepared to make up some panels??

spoz
11th November 2009, 08:23 PM
well i mean if we have somone that can make moulds, im willing to pitch is some cash , apparently the moulds are the expencive part.
and we rip out some pannels and bonnets

s14seriesII
12th November 2009, 09:15 PM
i have made a mould off an origin carbon bonnet.. i have spent about 300 in materials on it and not to mention the amount of time.. double that to make a 2 piece mould..
as im only laminating the skin to another mould of the framework underneath.
any good fibreglasser should be able to take moulds off your parts and produce new ones in carbon or fibreglass... id recomend fibreglass as it wins in cost vs weight against carbon..