PDA

View Full Version : Not Holding Tune + Electrical Fault

tc-rolla
26th October 2009, 04:05 PM
Car - Ae71

motor - Crap 4ac

use - Streeter

problem - Motor will not hold any tune, & electrical drain.

occurs/started when - All the time

personal situation - Dont want to spend a heap

Hey fellas,

Started to have a few issue's with electrical side and with tuning the carby.
i've been playing with the timing a bit, trying to find the sweet spot, but when i do within a few mins, it pritty much goes sh*t again.
trying to set the idle correctly, it constantly changes after i've driven it a few meter's up the road. The car used to try and turn itself over after you've turned it off. witch i've fixed but, if i drive it again for more than 5 minutes, it will go back to normal. and if you take off then stop again the idle chages everytime.
then driving it this morning after it tuned up nicely yesterday, i got probably 1km down the road and if you just tapped the throttle if would die, and be very difficult to start again.

The other side of the problem is when i can manage to drive it, (without it diying etc) it will not charge the battery. or so it seems. it has a new alternator and reg (all charging 13.8) and the battery is good, then after driving it will not start sometimes. if i let it sit for a hour or two, magicly it has charge and starts (sometimes) all the fuses are working, and unbroken.

When i take my foot off the the throttle, the oil light comes on, then goes off after 2-3 seconds. but under load, it does not come on. oil is good and at correct level.
Does the oil light come on if there is insufficent pressure?

someone said to me "the reason that the idle is high, is because the battery is charging" altho alot of people in my area smoke crack.

can anyone help me out, or have they experianced these symptons before?

cheers, ben.

Golberg
26th October 2009, 07:17 PM
Sounds like you need a carbie rebuild, if they've shat themselves you wont have a hope in hell of getting the thing to run right.

Sounds like your starter is on the way out.

And yes, the light means low oil pressure.

"the reason that the idle is high, is because the battery is charging" yep, crack smokers. If anything, a charging alternator is going to drop your idle as its putting more load on the motor.

tc-rolla
28th October 2009, 05:54 PM
thanks goldberg.

tested the starter and it's working on a mates car and solenoids.
i changed the timing and got it better (by the way its electronic ignition) yesterday, then turned it off after 10 minutes of driving (today) and it started to turn it self over after it was turned off, and the idle is still jumping, after myself and a mate spent several hours trying to get it right.

when you initaly start it up, it ides at 1,00rpm then after a few moments of driving it goes to aroud 1,200 to 1,800rpm.

Is there a common problem with the 4ac that cause's low oil pressure?

Just want to see what people think as, it's my daily and i have little money (bloody on road fee's!!).

is the oil pressure switch located on the pasenger side of engine, at the front, near where the air-con pump is?

cheers, ben.

af300e
28th October 2009, 07:02 PM
Before you rebuild the carb, check for vac leaks. Use some ether spray and give it a squirt around all the intake gasket areas and so forth.
Also, set the timing to the prescribed advance and check the valve clearances and cam timing (not skipped a tooth on the belt or mistimed).

It sounds like you have erratic vacuum. I had a similar issue with 2tg and webers. The timing chain had stretched and the valve clearances were out. Fixing those solved the bulk of the problem.

Ade_Mc
28th October 2009, 08:43 PM
i have had similar issues....but i just found out that i have sheared the woodrift key off, and ripped apart the crank cog. timing was out, so check to see if you have the same problem?

Golberg
28th October 2009, 09:04 PM
Its actually probably the ignition barrel causing the starter issues, either setup a starter relay or replace the barrel.