PDA

View Full Version : jdm 86 rear disc brakes

pogi
29th October 2009, 07:06 PM
hey guys, had a quick look today under rear of my car near wheels and seen fluid, im sick at the moment so i really cbf'd with taking a good look was just wondering when i feel better what i should look at if anyone has had brake fluid leaks in some usual place or somewhat?
cheers.

shift_rook
29th October 2009, 07:17 PM
what state are you in bro? if you're in vic i'll come and have a look for ya, otherwise i dunno, all the places threads are.. sometimes the lines can have cracks in them form to much bending and stuff

pogi
29th October 2009, 07:18 PM
you know if ur able to buy same lines or what ?

todd
29th October 2009, 07:20 PM
if u didnt have a very good look, there is a chance it could be diff oil too, meaning one of your axle seals is knackered. that will spin out from the back of the hub and drip down from the caliper bracket onto the inside of the wheel making nice circular patterns that fill with sand etc.

other than that, if its brake fluid, i imagine one of the hoses would have a crack or the joins arent done up tight enough.
check the master cylinder to be sure its fluid you are losing, although they will have a distinctly different smell.

todd
29th October 2009, 07:21 PM
you know if ur able to buy same lines or what ?

yer AJPS can hook u up with some or take ur old hose to pirtek or some hydraulic hose place, and they can make you one to replace it with.

pogi
29th October 2009, 07:41 PM
how would axle seals end up being rooted ? too much spirited driving or just age i guess? any other way i can tell ? looked like it was leaking down the caliper bracket, axle seals replacable ? hope its not that bad, i only do daily driving but also got a locker few months ago but also noticed some noises when slowing down in straights

todd
29th October 2009, 07:56 PM
yeah just age and general wear.
they are easily replaceable if u have removed and installed axles before. best bet is to touch the fluid (sexy time!!!) and see if its oil or brakes.

im betting on oil though, as brake fluid itself dissappears fairly quick, and leaves marks rather than puddles.

pogi
29th October 2009, 08:36 PM
it was 3 small areas on the inside of my wheel i noticed they werent exactly puddles and i had jacked the car up as soon as someone got home with it