PDA

View Full Version : 4age wiring HELP

Buck
31st October 2009, 05:36 PM
looking for someone in sa who is good with 4age wiring to come and have a look at my bay wiring...

something isnt right, not getting power to the coil

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/0/27274.jpg

thats what the wiring at the coil is right now, im fairly sure there should only be like 2 wires on each side of the coil...HELP

thanks

slide86
31st October 2009, 11:57 PM
i guess you want it done pretty soon....

if you can wait a 2 weeks i can look at it. ive wired a few 4ages now...

Buck
1st November 2009, 06:19 PM
hi Huw,

yeh i was wanting it done asap due to my brother popping my daily, but if i have to wait then i can

thanks

Slimer86
1st November 2009, 11:01 PM
Should be a switched power from the ignition to the positive side of the coil, which is shared with the ignitor and radio condesor. (OEM is black with an orange stripe)
Negative feed direct from the ignitor assy.

Has this run previously?

What loom have you used? AE82 or AE86?
http://club4ag.com/technical_main.htm

Buck
2nd November 2009, 03:54 PM
hi,

it was all running, i changed the motor, had it running, found the new motor had a blown headgasket, did the gasket, now not running

as for the loom, no idea, i bought the car already converted...i have a suspicion that its an ADM loom as it was an ADM motor in there before, and it looks like wires have been extended here and there, but dont quote me on that

i have the black with orange stripe in view, that goes to the positive of the coil?

the heap of wires coming from the positive side of the coil would be there to draw switched power, i mean, the guy who wired it had the fuel pump wired into the coil...fuel pump is now running through a hard-wired switch

should i hard wire the other "extra" wires through a switch as well?

Buck
2nd November 2009, 04:47 PM
ok...now its cooled down abit outside (FINALLY) i jumped out and started tracing the wires back, absolute pain in the ass job as they change colour halfway along the line.

i have worked out 2 of the 3 wires, not including the black with orange trace

1st wire goes to the 14pin plug, it splits into the Black and the Black/White trace

2nd wire goes to the White wire on the C.O.R.

the 3rd is Red/Black trace, it is labelled "ign power" but i cant seem to follow it past where it dissapears into the loom before splitting at the firewall...it doesnt appear to come through the firewall, so i guess it must go to the harness connection mounted on the firewall in the middle.

just looked up the ECU Code, the only hit im getting is that its the stock ECU from a New Zealand AW11, the code is 89661-17060

and now we are back to me being stuck

Buck
3rd November 2009, 06:24 AM
ok...this is a much more direct question...

when wiring in the C.O.R for the fuel setup, where do i get the +12v switched power feed from?

would that be alright just running straight off the coil through a 10A fuse?

Slimer86
3rd November 2009, 02:24 PM
First and foremost, familiarise yourself with the Factory wiring diagrams!

All the data I am providing is directly from the factory wiring diagrams.

My recommendation would be to click on the link I put up in my previous post, click on the (AE86 Japan ECU connection) and compare that with what you have got.

Check you have 12v power on the Black with Orange striped wire when switched to the Start position.
If it doesn't there is something wrong.
If it has got switched power, connect that wire to the positive side of the coil.

Power feed to the COR from the EFI main relay. (Black with red stripe)
This switched power, activates the fuel pump.

Ignition power at the key switch has 2 circuits, engine and ancillaries.
Black with Orange stripe is the common engine switched power.

As for wiring the "other" wires to a switch, all depends on the function of those wires.

I suggest moving this topic to Technical Questions Forum.

Buck
3rd November 2009, 05:58 PM
i have been looking through the diagrams for the last couple days, but im not electrically minded at all haha

the black & black w/white trace are +B +B1, which both read as " 'run' power to ecu"

not quite sure what to do there, whether to just leave them on the coil or not

dehney
4th November 2009, 10:42 PM
if u what a good job done take it down to buddyparts at marion they do a relly good job at wiring 4ages up matey

Buck
7th November 2009, 09:34 PM
played around with it abit more today, got it started by hard wiring the coil to the battery

some more investigating lead me to the kick panel fuse box, checked over all the fuses, and have found something interesting...

the IGN fuse isnt getting power to it, so the problem is in the body loom :S

i have no idea where though, any suggestions on where to start?

Buck
8th November 2009, 05:46 PM
i had a thought just before about a temp fix for both the coil and the fuel pump

run a relay, with output to both the coil and the fuel pump, with a trigger wire spliced off the IGN wire from the key barrel

do you reckon that would be an alright temp fix?

Buck
12th November 2009, 06:57 AM
ok...

this is fucking shit...

ran more diagnostics...i now know EXACTLY what the problem is...

the Ignition Switch in the key barrel is dead...changed it out and problem SOLVED

Thanks to all who offered help and solutions