PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable Trailing arm and Traction bracket question.

Tom86
5th November 2009, 03:05 PM
Hi everyone,

Got a few questions for those that know what they talking about. I'm looking to buy some adjustable trailing arm to correct my pinion angle to its proper position. Question is do I need both the upper and lower arms to be adjustable? or just the upper one? coz doesn't lengthening the upper arms have the same affect as shortening the lower arms?

Also can someone explain to me the theory behind Traction Brackets and why you need it.

Thanks

Tom

sundee
5th November 2009, 10:55 PM
someone can explain it better than this but:
traction brackets are used because when u lower your car the diff moves up and so it changes the angle of the trailing arms.. when u lower your car the arms move through parallel (to the ground) and end up sloping down towards the front of the car.. so u get axel tramp. the traction brackets move the mounting point lower to change the incorrect angle of the arm.

u need both upper and lower to be adjustable..

if say u just make the upper adjustable, u can only change the pinion angle in one direction , which may not even help depending on your ride height etc.

ive got a full set of adjustble arms for sale if you want some..

cheers

Sam-Q
6th November 2009, 07:07 PM
just expanding on above, by changing the pivot point lower down on a diff your increasing the anti-squat angle of the car, it's a small effect but useful still for traction off the line. Is that what you want?

Only one set of arms are needed to make it adjustable? increase the length of the lower arms and the diff points down, decrease for the opposite

hey anyone want a headache?

http://s-86.com/s-5linkrear.html

Celica RA45
6th November 2009, 10:05 PM
sam its a waste of time my suspension man pulled mine out on the bottom of the diff as he said to me ,its not worth doing unless you can do the top 1 s as well .he also said by using a 2 peice tail shaft will help
my car has been lowered another 15mm and we have changed the spring rates and this has helped as i get no axle wind up and i have a race lsd as well
on any car if you lower it and have good shocks just dont go over board on your spring rates

Sam-Q
7th November 2009, 08:04 AM
sorry I don't get it? the only difference by having the top adjustable as well is being able to avoid a slight wheelbase change after an adjustment. Using just bottom arms will give all the adjustment needed? I got lucky on my end, after modding my diff my pinion angle was great with the stock arms.

Celica RA45
7th November 2009, 09:29 AM
im talking about the kelway traction brackets that lower the rear longer link to change diff angle you have to do both which is top and bottom

Sam-Q
7th November 2009, 09:53 AM
maybe we are thinking of different things here, do you mean adjust the rear lower trailing arms? Because the top trailing arms will just pivot when the bottoms are adjusted to change the diff angle. Got a link to this product?

fantapants
7th November 2009, 12:07 PM
there might be a little bit of confusion cos your picture of adjustable arms sam is a pic of traction brackets :)

driftke70
7th November 2009, 12:08 PM
the angle of the top trailing arm doesnt matter so much, the bottom ones are much longer and have much more leverage,

when you equal length then its an issue, personally my car has equal length adjustable with traction brackets