blair
12th November 2009, 10:50 AM
Car - Te72

motor - 3TC

use - daily

problem - want to clean up engine bay / loose some dead weight
And cant find an engine manual!

occurs/started when - yesterday when i was having a poke around

personal situation - okay firstly, anyone even familiar with 3tc's? lol.
Theres 2 extra belts coming off the main belt
one drives the air con
and another drives something else - which is what im trying to figure out completely. One pipe runs to the carb throat, and another pipe runs through some valve and back up to the intake (before filter)

can i just remove pump, belt, lines and plug all the holes?
or does the carb need this assembly for pressure equalising or something??

ta, blair.

blair
12th November 2009, 08:02 PM
more info cant hurt!

the "other" pump... is actually belt driven from just teh aircon.
Its not even off the main belt

so surely its not important... right? lol.

i took the belt off and all seemed to run fine... didnt actually drive it tho cause i dont want the belt to catch in the fan or something

here goes!

Javal
12th November 2009, 08:38 PM
Take a picture to be sure, but it's probably an air pump man. Lots of cars around that era have one.

If so, do exactly as you plan to. Remove and plug holes.

blair
12th November 2009, 08:46 PM
will do in the light tomorrow.

whats the purpose of an air pump, if a carby isnt forced induction, its all suck? lol.

or am i thinking to simply?

Javal
12th November 2009, 08:50 PM
will do in the light tomorrow.

whats the purpose of an air pump, if a carby isnt forced induction, its all suck? lol.

or am i thinking to simply?

From memory:

They are like a PCV system but slightly more effective. They draw the crankcase gasses out and put them back into the inlet tract to be re-burned.

Silly stuff.

blair
12th November 2009, 09:27 PM
thats pretty much how it was going down in my head after tracing the pipes etc.

out she comes lol

so its almost just pollution related?

Javal
12th November 2009, 09:39 PM
thats pretty much how it was going down in my head after tracing the pipes etc.

out she comes lol

so its almost just pollution related?

absolutely.

Make sure your crankcase gasses can escape somewhere though.

Hokey
12th November 2009, 10:09 PM
yeh what they said. bin it :D

blair
12th November 2009, 10:28 PM
ok now im worried! dont use the phrase block off

then the phrase make sure its still vented

lollll

Hen may possibly be a nut
12th November 2009, 11:13 PM
After reading the title I was going to answer: Usually yes, though they do get them to run 8s in Peurto Rico.

Tim.duncan
13th November 2009, 09:57 AM
i remember reading a intresting article about an sr20 which was running very high amounts of boost and there for had the chance of blowby around the pistons. they installed a performance air pump to reduce the pressure on the underside of the pistons and help eliminate blow by and made an extra 7 kws.

Javal
14th November 2009, 08:56 PM
i remember reading a intresting article about an sr20 which was running very high amounts of boost and there for had the chance of blowby around the pistons. they installed a performance air pump to reduce the pressure on the underside of the pistons and help eliminate blow by and made an extra 7 kws.

That would really only help a motor with large amounts of pressure being put into the cylinders, and money down that it wasn't piped back into the inlet tract. In a case like Blairs, you would gain more power by it not being driven by the belt than reduced crankcase pressure it might provide.

Tim.duncan
14th November 2009, 11:02 PM
100% agree

bigdaddykane
19th November 2009, 04:28 PM
That would really only help a motor with large amounts of pressure being put into the cylinders, and money down that it wasn't piped back into the inlet tract. In a case like Blairs, you would gain more power by it not being driven by the belt than reduced crankcase pressure it might provide.

perfect way to explain it why not lose it its just making the the engine work harder same with aircon loose that extractors also help basicly anything anti pollution sucks, ive got a twin carb setup here for my 3tc but im having some issues tracking down linkages for it :verysad:

Fusion
19th November 2009, 04:46 PM
Bigdaddy . . . did you get the twin 2TB carbs setup by anychance?

If you did, you should be able to make a custom linkage pretty easily