PDA

View Full Version : 3SGE to MX5 AZ6 6spd?

fms01
19th November 2009, 05:36 AM
Does anyone know if the bellhousing on the AZ6 gearbox you get with a BEAMS 3SGE is swappable with the bellhousing from the MX5 AZ6 gearbox? ie. I want to put a 3SGE BEAMS into an MX5, it'll be a whole lot easier if I can swap the bellhousings and "drop it in".

Cheers,
Julian.

PS. Anyone got some overall measurements of a BEAMS 3S?

xsoarerx
19th November 2009, 09:18 AM
if you unbolt the bellhousings of the gear box then you should be able to... im pretty sure they wouldnt have a gear box with two different bellhosuing bolt patterens.

this is a pic of the AZ6 with an adaptor to fit a 4a bellhousing on the end, so im guessing the bellhousing it unboltable

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/7/5/29268.jpg

spoon
19th November 2009, 10:02 AM
yeah cant change the bellhousing - havent really done much research into it, but seeing theyre the same gearbox other than the mating face (probably different ratios too i guess) you could probably mount up a 3sge 6speed without having to modify anything on the car... just speculation though so dont quote me!

Sam-Q
20th November 2009, 12:47 PM
so let me get this straight, in this pics this guy has remade part of the gearbox housing so that he can have his own bellhousing? if so thats very impressive, I would of thought it would of just been an option to take that part of the gearbox off, machine it down, weld a plate to it, re-machine, reassemble and then make/adapt a bell housing to suit

driftke70
20th November 2009, 12:49 PM
put the beams in as a unit with g box, and pull the old motor out as a unit with g box,

safe dicking around with forks and stuff, and you will be able to sell the old stuff anyways to a locost builder or the likes.

fms01
20th November 2009, 06:40 PM
The gearbox in the MX5 bolts to a "powerframe" that the diff also bolts to, thats why I thought the Beams engine might be easier. I was originally planning on fitting a 20V into the MX5 when it suddenly struck me that the beams engine might be a lot simpler because of the shared gearboxes.

Cheers,
Julian