PDA

View Full Version : Any one know a good lawyer?

narchi
16th January 2009, 02:30 AM
Just got done for hoon. Anyone used a lawyer that was a reasonable price and gave decent advice.

Just a name and number. Cheers.

quadeyquade
16th January 2009, 10:14 PM
in which car you get done? and tell us the details

84coupe
16th January 2009, 11:12 PM
u can call my dad

Neville Marsh

he used to have a thing on thursday nights were u pay like 50 get advice for 30mins or sumfin. not sure he does anymore.
but i know hes done stuff for hoon b4. maybe not himself but he can help u out.

tell him ur a mate of preston narchi

narchi
17th January 2009, 02:19 AM
cheers man. Done in 86.

Prob that i have is that its my second offence. So it doesnt look good. Even tho it wasnt an intention it doesnt look good. So need to no whether to plead not guilty or just suck it up and plead guilty.

Was at the nicholson road and ranford road traffic lights heading towards mandurah.
Form one lane is about 100m from the traffic lights. My bro was next to me. We were calling some people in a sti and a comm dickheads for trying to race us all the time.
Turned light turned green. I have accelerated normally as has my bro. I have then accelerated quicker to get in front of my bro which so did my bro (i can see why cops think we were racing dont get me wrong) He realised it was to late and we would be speeding and he pulled back and i went in front. He hit 70 and i know i hit just under 80 as my navman just started to beep (set to 80).
We then cruised along at the speed limit. Rested my head on my arm then about 30 secs later see flashing red and blue lights next to me.
I explained y i did what i did but he would of course didnt believe me. Saying would i have done the same thing if it was a grandma in a corolla or a semi truck. Explained to them that if i was in front and they put their foot down i would. He just ignored the answer and walked off.

We understand why we lost our cars. But the potential of losing our license for something that just about every one does in a merging situation in perth is annoying us.
This is why i would like legal advice.

So thanks 84Coupe. I will call him on monday.

Wally
17th January 2009, 08:50 AM
What was the speed limit where you did this? 60 or 70?

Rhys.
17th January 2009, 11:51 AM
my mate just got done for running an rbt which is pretty serious he then got chased and ran on foot haha, not because he was drinking but he was driving on a suspended licence... plus he had a huge rap sheet for driving offences before this, he made the front page of the daily telegraph and our local paper so it was pretty big....you may have seen it..

he ended up with 4 years loss of licence, 150 hours com service and fines etc and i think he pleaded guilty..

so i reckon plead guilty or not guilty and its not really going to make a change with the way the media is all over this car hoon bullshit at the moment..

Shahzan
17th January 2009, 12:26 PM
Speed doesnt kill ! ! ! !
Sudden stop kills ! ! ! !

narchi
17th January 2009, 06:06 PM
70 zone. So i went max 10kms over the speed. My bro didnt speed at all.

84coupe
17th January 2009, 07:10 PM
Np narchi.

Yeah what u did sounds like what everyone does like u said.

Good luck buddy.

Mickey H
17th January 2009, 08:10 PM
10km over is hooning? and you lose your car aswell? That sucks man hope you get a good representative. I thought it was just NSW that had that anti hoon bullshit.

Dom86
21st January 2009, 10:05 PM
my mate just got done for running an rbt which is pretty serious he then got chased and ran on foot haha, not because he was drinking but he was driving on a suspended licence... plus he had a huge rap sheet for driving offences before this, he made the front page of the daily telegraph and our local paper so it was pretty big....you may have seen it..

he ended up with 4 years loss of licence, 150 hours com service and fines etc and i think he pleaded guilty..

so i reckon plead guilty or not guilty and its not really going to make a change with the way the media is all over this car hoon bullshit at the moment..

your mate sounds like a dickhead!!

Dom86
21st January 2009, 10:06 PM
10km over is hooning? and you lose your car aswell? That sucks man hope you get a good representative. I thought it was just NSW that had that anti hoon bullshit.

cop probebly looked at it like a drag.

84coupe
22nd January 2009, 09:20 PM
dom the law is soo fukn general.

even dad agrees with me.

please define hooning?

cop can just make it up on the spot. his word against urs.

Dom86
22nd January 2009, 09:48 PM
Agreed bud, but that's board cops for you...

narchi
23rd January 2009, 12:48 AM
i know that what they were seeing it as and dont get me wrong i understand y my car is impounded for 28 days. I jsut dont like the fact i will lose my license for their misunderstanding. And from what people tell me the cops are going to lie neway. I just hope that they sit there and say that i spun my front wheels in their statement. Then i can prove to the magistrate that they are lying.

DenZel
23rd January 2009, 01:30 AM
sorry to hear the news when you told me man, best bet, try and get some cheap legal advice, ask for the evidence/statements the cops have before court, and go from there.

quadeyquade
23rd January 2009, 10:05 AM
i know that what they were seeing it as and dont get me wrong i understand y my car is impounded for 28 days. I jsut dont like the fact i will lose my license for their misunderstanding. And from what people tell me the cops are going to lie neway. I just hope that they sit there and say that i spun my front wheels in their statement. Then i can prove to the magistrate that they are lying.

wait, how will you prove they lied?

4DRFRK
23rd January 2009, 10:31 AM
wait, how will you prove they lied?

its rear wheel drive

Dom86
23rd January 2009, 02:16 PM
LOL quadeyquade.
Hey Narchi, they probably will lie, but its not a lie if you belive it!
You just need to prove them wrong.
Where were they when they saw this alleged race?
If they were behind you a few cars or even further back, you may be able to argue that they were not in a position to tell if it was a "race" and are if fact making up what they saw.

narchi
23rd January 2009, 10:18 PM
supposedly they were at a carpark near the intersection. I know they werent at the intersections as when i left the lights i did my normal look left and right to make sure no one was going to run the red light.
But i know i didnt race. It might have looked that way but i dont see how a race can be defined as 2 people accelerating to the speed limit. Neway all i can do is wait for my summons. Ill let u guys know what is said.

quadeyquade
23rd January 2009, 10:57 PM
lmao fail on my half.. i didnt realise he said front wheels lol.

Eircamae86
23rd January 2009, 11:58 PM
They cant actually prove you broke the speed limit? pleed on your previous experience of hooning, you learnt your lesson & would never risk the consequences. be honest

Sturgey
24th January 2009, 02:09 AM
they cannot prove u broke the speed limit etc without a valid reading of a speed gun/speed camera

driftae86
1st February 2009, 03:10 PM
i dont think the speeding was the problem it was the "racing" up to the speed limit that got them done.

doony
1st February 2009, 09:32 PM
whats the go with this narchi?

narchi
2nd February 2009, 08:59 PM
dont know yet. Still awaiting to get my car back lol. Then the summons should be about 4 weeks after that according to the officer.

So still got ages before i find out. Which is hell ticking me off cos i would rather have gone to court straight away.

This is the thing i love about our legal system.

Catch someone for racing. But let them drive for a few more months before doing anything.

Wouldnt it be more about the safety of others if they took ya license of them there and then. Then go to court and if found not guilty hand it back and compensate. Would mean cops wont be pulling ppl over hoon law for things that just look like racing. They would have to consider more of the facts before hand.
IF found guilty they have already served some of their sentence.

lee3671987
3rd February 2009, 09:54 PM
always try to see ur surround or rear mirror be4 u do anything.
Incase of the cops, every time i see 4 door commodore with 2 or 3 antena i take it as a cops :p

marvis
3rd February 2009, 10:36 PM
I always try and assume every newish looking car is a cop and I treat them as one until I know otherwise.

Then BARRRRP BAAAAAAAP

narchi
4th February 2009, 12:46 AM
i tend to not do to much stupid stuff on the street after getting done the first time. I prefer track than street. hence why this is frustrating me so much lol.
I just want my summons so i can know what is happening.
Ne car is a cop car now. Thats the other sucky thing about hoon law. NO need for video footages. Just license plate and 2 witnesses.

Dom86
4th February 2009, 07:33 PM
G'hay!

Good Luck man!

quadeyquade
10th February 2009, 08:22 AM
Get your summons yet?

narchi
10th February 2009, 11:11 PM
not yet. Its like sitting and waiting for a new toy to arrive. I rush home and check the mail each day. I just wanna see whats siad and find out when my court day is.

MJ86
10th March 2009, 01:14 AM
Ahh testosterone it is a wonderful thing isn`t it, allows us to be men, but also gets us into some deep shit sometimes.

Turned light turned green. I have accelerated normally as has my bro. I have then accelerated quicker to get in front of my bro which so did my bro (i can see why cops think we were racing dont get me wrong) He realised it was to late and we would be speeding and he pulled back and i went in front. He hit 70 and i know i hit just under 80 as my navman just started to beep (set to 80).For all intents and purposes what you have described is a drag race, it matters not that you only did 10ks over, it was more likely the rate of acceleration and the neck and neck parrying between two cars as they come up to a single lane.

I explained y i did what i did but he would of course didnt believe me. Saying would i have done the same thing if it was a grandma in a corolla or a semi truck. Explained to them that if i was in front and they put their foot down i would. He just ignored the answer and walked off.Sorry but with this statement you just proved your intent to engage in ignorant and unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, this statement alone will sink you in court. The reason two lanes merge into one lane is to keep the flow of traffic smooth, your supposed to have consideration for your fellow drivers, not try to beat everyone to the finish line.

We understand why we lost our cars. But the potential of losing our license for something that just about every one does in a merging situation in perth is annoying us.

I don`t think the police or the courts will really care if your annoyed about losing your licence, maybe you need to reassess your attitude towards driving.

A bit of advice matey, maybe you need to study the rule book a bit closer, the speed limit is exactly that, a limit, not a target.

You might want to also be careful who you yell at out of your car, i call to your attention an incident on the Gold Coast where a bloke yelled at someone out the window of his car on Australia day and ended up with the occupant of the other vehicle pulling a gun out and shooting him dead, just something to think about.

I am not attacking you personally mate so don`t take this the wrong way but having a license is a privilege not a right, if you read the road rules it should be written in there.
regards Mick

narchi
10th March 2009, 03:48 AM
Ahh testosterone it is a wonderful thing isn`t it, allows us to be men, but also gets us into some deep shit sometimes.

For all intents and purposes what you have described is a drag race, it matters not that you only did 10ks over, it was more likely the rate of acceleration and the neck and neck parrying between two cars as they come up to a single lane.

Sorry but with this statement you just proved your intent to engage in ignorant and unsafe operation of a motor vehicle, this statement alone will sink you in court. The reason two lanes merge into one lane is to keep the flow of traffic smooth, your supposed to have consideration for your fellow drivers, not try to beat everyone to the finish line.

I don`t think the police or the courts will really care if your annoyed about losing your licence, maybe you need to reassess your attitude towards driving.

A bit of advice matey, maybe you need to study the rule book a bit closer, the speed limit is exactly that, a limit, not a target.

You might want to also be careful who you yell at out of your car, i call to your attention an incident on the Gold Coast where a bloke yelled at someone out the window of his car on Australia day and ended up with the occupant of the other vehicle pulling a gun out and shooting him dead, just something to think about.

I am not attacking you personally mate so don`t take this the wrong way but having a license is a privilege not a right, if you read the road rules it should be written in there.
regards Mick

Hey mate. everyone has the right to their opinion. But sounds like ur a cop to me lol. Taking only part of a statement and taking it in the wrong context.
For starters i didnt yell out of my car. I said its not like we did like normal races start. U know engine revs at lights. slight movement before light turns green. Yelling at each other out the windows.

Problem is right i have read the road rules. I also have read the road traffic act and read all the amendments. Nothing is said about how much acceleration is legally acceptable. Also states that in a merging situation that any portion of a vehicle that is in front of a merging vehicle has right of way. There is no law stating u cannot accelerate up to the speed limit to move in front of another merging vehicle. What it does state is the speed, or the acceleration, braking or steering capability, of the vehicle is being tested or contested in any way. So therefore mechanics road testing vehicles are hoons. This is the problem when this law came in as they have left everything up to police to make a judgement which cannot be proven in a court of law. So the magistrate must believe the police officer otherwise majority of cases would be thrown out and the law would be useless.

Now by u stating that me wishing to accelerate to be in front of a vehicle in a merging situation is ignorant and unsafe operation of a vehicle. Then i ask u how many times have you overtaken a vehicle. Or moved of the traffic lights and accelerated that little bit faster to move in front of a vehicle in a merging situation. Due to there being no law about how much acceleration is legally acceptable then you have done the same thing i have in your motor vehicle if i or a police officer wanted to judge it that way. (seeing all u need now are 2 witnesses to get a number plate and can dob u in for hoon)

And the courts wont care about me losing my license. As the courts do not care about actual justice to people in my situation on the road. Since the public pressure of "hoons" on the roads the law system has changed from innocent till proven guilty to guilty till proven innocent. The magistrate have already made up their minds before i step foot in that court room. The only reason y i have to go in is so the system makes it feel i got a fair go.

Believe it or not but after getting done the first time my mindset on the roads did change as i no longer speed knowingly, participate in illegal street races or even attend cruises. I also promote track as opposed to street racing. But after seeing a couple of my mates go to court and be found guilty even tho they have heaps of evidence proving they didnt do it (they actually didnt do what the police stated as i was a witness at 2 of the cases), a handful of witnesses and police who cant keep their story inline at a court hearing, i tend to lose faith in the justice system.
I also refuse to drive behind cars as people honestly live in their own little bubble when they drive. They dont think there are cars behind them. Try driving into cannington during peak hour traffic and u will no what i mean. People who indicate at the last minute slam their brakes on and then turn. As i have never hit one obviously i leave enough room to not hit them. But what about the car behind me who isnt leaving enough room. U know what i mean? i dont care whose at fault i dont want the inconvenience of my car being damaged. But this is only one example as i could go all night explaining other things people do.

Im not trying to start an argument mj86 and like i said i understand u are giving your opinion on my situation. but i just wanted to clarify why i feel the way i do about this situation.

And just incase ne1 else wants to read about the road traffic act here is a link

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/wa/consol_act/rta1974111/s78a.html

narchi
11th March 2009, 12:23 AM
nah only if the cop lies outright and i can prove it.
But i would never try to say a cop is lying
Like i said i no the way it would have looked to ne1. And in the end i know the outcome. But at least i can try say something. Ive actually decided not to hire a lawyer due to the fact its a waste of money lol.

I always love it when i hear about cops doing speed checks.
My mate got pulled over once and the cop goes i was doing 80 to catch up to u. I was a bit drunk at the time in the passenger seat. I said "its a 70 zone and if u were doing the speed limit we wouldnt be having this conversation so lets see that comment hold up in court". Cop looked at me looked at my mate then breath tested him and did a license check. Told me off for being a smart ass and let him go.
I only said it coz my mate is one of those guys who always drives the speed limit.

cleb
14th March 2009, 08:16 PM
you dont have to argue about the incidentals, if you make a case that there could be reasonable doubt that you were not speeding nor racing then there is a big chance you can get off. you might as well plead not guilty,then the next time in court ask the police some pretty decent questions to find holes in their story rather than defend what you did. you can ask for the police mans statement before you go to court. so you can make some decent questions before you get there the second time. i have had a few mates that have gotten off doing this, rather than just leaving the whole case down to their statement versus yours :)

narchi
17th March 2009, 12:30 AM
cheers cleb i will def look into that. All i can do is wait to see their statement which is usually attached to the summons. Well it gives me some idea what they are going to say.

cleb
17th March 2009, 12:53 AM
well no its not attached to the summons ;) but you can file for it using fredom of information or something. :)

narchi
12th April 2009, 09:19 PM
Ok guys got my summons

The same police officer that filled in the statements have conflicting reports. One states my bro was doing 100kmph where as mine says i was doing the speed limit. My bros states we raced side by side for 50m. Another one states i over took him within 50m.

So yeah a lot of conflicting reports. Which is what i would have thought considering i know the cops were not close enough to work out speed or even who overtook who and what not.

Just thought i would let u guys know.

cleb
13th April 2009, 04:24 PM
you can use that. you will win that one with out a blink of the eye, once there is conflicting reports from police you will be able to get off just by bringing it up.

doony
13th April 2009, 04:41 PM
winner! lucky!!

dAYTONA
13th April 2009, 07:08 PM
Since when is it illegal to accelerate as fast as you can to the speed limit, without squeeling the tyres, in a country which makes 300kw cars...

Stupid laws, stupid politician, stupid cops, and stupid young drivers who get killed and kill others racing on the streets are all responsible.

Now everyone with a modified car, or a passion for cars gets a hard time.

FLCL
14th April 2009, 12:48 AM
maybe not in SA. WA has too many whinging foriegners and old people. retirement state where if its too loud and too fast its worth complaining about.

Dom86
14th April 2009, 07:20 PM
LOL Kevin. Adelaide is the 'city of churches'.

Sounds like you've got a good chance Marchi. ACE in the hole.....

Whens the court date?

narchi
14th April 2009, 10:58 PM
End of May. I dunno if i got a good chance lol. I cant afford a lawyer. Spending money on the AE86 instead lol.

quadeyquade
16th April 2009, 09:53 AM
end of may. I dunno if i got a good chance lol. I cant afford a lawyer. Spending money on the ae86 instead lol.

dont get a jury lawyer. They are fucking retards.

cleb
16th April 2009, 03:51 PM
End of May. I dunno if i got a good chance lol. I cant afford a lawyer. Spending money on the AE86 instead lol.

you dont need a lawyer you can rep yourself, go see a lawyer tho and ask what to say n what not. dude if you dont get off this you ahve made an epic fuck up

Water Boy
16th April 2009, 04:15 PM
Friend had a similar situation. He went and saw a lawyer for like 2 hours and was given all the advice needed and what to do etc. He pleaded not guilty but due to evidnece he was fined $500.

Id give it your best shot mate...

narchi
17th April 2009, 12:57 AM
id be happy with a fine. I just dont wanna lose my license. Ill look into a lawyer prob next week. I guess 2 hours woudlnt cost to much.

cleb
17th April 2009, 07:30 PM
how are you happy with a fine yet you wont pay a lawyer to get you off completely? lol you need to say what your side of events are then say how it was impossible to gauge speed from where the police where sitting and that you were not racing or you didnt go over the speed limit. then you have show the conflicting statements proving that the police couldn't gauge what was going on and therefore there is reasonable doubt about whether you were racing at all. wahlah case won

narchi
17th April 2009, 09:53 PM
fine i can pay of $20 a week. Lawyer i cant lol. Thats y.

Dom86
17th April 2009, 10:15 PM
come on Marchi you've come this far.
One of the cops even said you were doing the speed limit.
Reasonable doubt is all you need.
They will probably look at each others statements before court, and there is a chance that they do not even go cos they realize they are retarded for speculating on what happened and then writing conflicting statements.

DenZel
22nd April 2009, 06:54 AM
Jeremy Noble Barristers & Solicitors
Solicitors - Perth, WA
Address
2nd Floor 524 Hay St
Perth
WA, 6000
Australia

heard great things about this guy to do with hoon cases

and If found not guilty you will be reimbursed of the costs by the magistrate .

do it!