PDA

View Full Version : Hpi e10

ArbPotatoes
28th November 2009, 01:52 PM
Hey, I'm looking at getting into RC drift when my car's done. I'm looking for a car for good cheap fun that's upgradable for if I get into it more. Anyone got an opinion on the E10? Any other cars that fit the description?

Gunner
29th November 2009, 07:36 AM
Not into this ep drifting, but as long as you stick to HPI, or tamiya you should be pretty well right.

I personally would go with HPI, as their parts seem to be every where, either way go to your local hobby store, and see what parts they stock and go from there.

ArbPotatoes
29th November 2009, 10:20 AM
Cheers. Will do.

slydar
1st December 2009, 02:56 AM
upgrading a really basic chassis isnt really a good idea. get a cheap kit/rtr combo if you think you might not end up getting into it. if you do you can use your cheap radio/esc etc with a better chassis later.

in which case either an e10 or a tt will do.

that being said, although it may be the case of nitro/off road, for ep 1/10th tourers, tamiya/tt01 is by far the most well supported brand/chassis. and definitely way way more upgradeable.

slydar
1st December 2009, 02:59 AM
e.g

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/30179.jpg

tt01

Gunner
1st December 2009, 05:41 AM
Unfortunately Slydar, since getting into this industry, I have found Tamiya is really coming up short locally, which sucks, as I was bought up on tamiya.

I think you are quite lucky living in the same state as oz-rc, as he has everything, for every car just about.

But most hobby shops, will carry very little in the way of tamiya, an in alot of cases has been replaced with HPI.

Shopping for parts on the net is a different story though, as tamiya is everywhere in the states. But the problem with buying from the interwebs, is you have no support, so say for example Arb, has binding issues, in a diff, and can't figure it out, the interwebs isn't going to examine the car, and say mate you need to buy this, and do this and that, where a local hobby store can, and if you run what your LHS stocks, you have a fair chance of having it sorted the same day, instead of waiting upto a month for a $5 part, if you get where I am coming from.

ArbPotatoes
1st December 2009, 11:36 AM
Unfortunately Slydar, since getting into this industry, I have found Tamiya is really coming up short locally, which sucks, as I was bought up on tamiya.

I think you are quite lucky living in the same state as oz-rc, as he has everything, for every car just about.

But most hobby shops, will carry very little in the way of tamiya, an in alot of cases has been replaced with HPI.

Shopping for parts on the net is a different story though, as tamiya is everywhere in the states. But the problem with buying from the interwebs, is you have no support, so say for example Arb, has binding issues, in a diff, and can't figure it out, the interwebs isn't going to examine the car, and say mate you need to buy this, and do this and that, where a local hobby store can, and if you run what your LHS stocks, you have a fair chance of having it sorted the same day, instead of waiting upto a month for a $5 part, if you get where I am coming from.

Plus shipping can be a killer. My local place is Hobby Habit. Not exactly sure what they stock in the way of drift though. My brother has a Traxxas Slash that he bought there, if he has something he can't fix he'll take it there and they'll have it done within the day.

slydar
1st December 2009, 02:46 PM
yeah gunner, but seems youre more of an off road and nitro guy.

for an on road ep tourer. a tt01 is a pretty fucking easy car to get parts for. i would say the easiest. like even toyworlds that support rc stuff all have tt01 spare. i would go as far as to say its the easiest rc car to maintain, period.

not that you ever need spares for a tt01. the cars are basically indestructible.

ive had one. and i never broke anything. and i ran it at the skate park and jumped it and shit. my house mate now owns it and he's bordering on "hopeless" as far as steering, running into things at full tilt. and nothing has ever broken on it.

E10 is basically HPI's equivalent of tamiyas TT. a very cheap entry level rc car. but still a legitimate hobby level car, not a toy. ive had a little look over an e10 and it seems OK compared to a stock TT. but they dont seemed to be very well liked by drifters in general.

old mate also asked about upgrading, and whilst on a $/performance ratio, youre better of just upgrading to a whole new chassis. if you do wanna just hop up a car for the fun of it, NOTHING beats a TT01. you can get parts from everyone, from everywhere, for cheap. including FRP chassis kits for as little as $80 usd +post. E10 has nothing like that support.

for an entry level car, TT is the way to go. thats why everyone sells them, and so many people run them.

for 1/10th tourers. tamiya isnt a bad brand. the tamiya importer in australia is average, but they still do an ok job of supplying their core market.

Gunner
1st December 2009, 07:39 PM
Slydar I'm not saying your wrong dude, I just think it is right to go with what you can get at your LHS, as a beginner.

I started in tamiya, I know they are good, thats why I am restoring my tg10, I have 6 of them, in various conditions, all to build 1 car.

But I still suggest, going with what your LHS stocks. As a beginner.

For you and I, buying parts from overseas, and over the internet, is fine, and usually cheaper, but as a beginner, it can make the whole experience worse. I know from my own experience, from shopping overseas, that it can be a pain in the ass, waiting 2 months to get your car going, then to find out it doesn't fit, or they sent the wrong part.

We know what we need to run our cars, what will wear,what should be kept spare, beginners don't.

So if they can go into a good store, and have help, it will make the hobby far more enjoyable, and they may choose to stay in the hobby instead of giving up, while waiting for parts to come from overseas, and usually with out any after sales service.

Richard
2nd December 2009, 10:40 AM
i bought a hpi e10 for under $300
But now ive spend almost $2000 in upgrades
i now have
5 sets of wheels with tyres,
3x5000mpa batteries
Locked diffs
Anodised aluminum strut bars front n rear
anodised aluminum drive shaft
bearing set
fully adjustable shocks and springs
20 tooth pinion
15turn motor
aluminum dog bones
3 diff size sway bars front and rear
anodised aluminum gear shaft
carbon fibre control arm thingys
awesome battery charger
anodised aluminum motor clamp/adjuster
aluminum battery clamp
Bunch of spares.

Great fun car. might post a pic later. god ive wasted some cash lol

ArbPotatoes
2nd December 2009, 09:54 PM
You can get adjustable arms for them too for camber adjustment.

slydar
3rd December 2009, 01:40 PM
Slydar I'm not saying your wrong dude, I just think it is right to go with what you can get at your LHS, as a beginner.

I started in tamiya, I know they are good, thats why I am restoring my tg10, I have 6 of them, in various conditions, all to build 1 car.

But I still suggest, going with what your LHS stocks. As a beginner.

For you and I, buying parts from overseas, and over the internet, is fine, and usually cheaper, but as a beginner, it can make the whole experience worse. I know from my own experience, from shopping overseas, that it can be a pain in the ass, waiting 2 months to get your car going, then to find out it doesn't fit, or they sent the wrong part.

We know what we need to run our cars, what will wear,what should be kept spare, beginners don't.

So if they can go into a good store, and have help, it will make the hobby far more enjoyable, and they may choose to stay in the hobby instead of giving up, while waiting for parts to come from overseas, and usually with out any after sales service.

would be a totally valid post. if it was actually difficult to get parts for a TT01. but it isnt. every shop ive ever been to has had some TT01 spares in stock.

so, politely, i am saying. in my experience. you are wrong. there is no shortage of spares of the shelves of hobby stores ive been to for TT01s. it is a ridiculously popular chassis. lots of places carry spares. also, i just dont think its that much of an issue. EP powered drift cars just dont wear out/break as easy. the cars just arent moving that fast and you really dont need that much power.

but yeah whatever no big deal. arb asked what people thought, E10 or TT01. i say TT01.

Gunner
3rd December 2009, 02:10 PM
Slydar, did I say any where in that post anything about a tt01? No I didn't think I did.

I said he is better off, buying what his local can supply, if thats tamiya, great, if its hpi, ae, traxxas, mugen, serpent, hobao, thunder tiger what ever, arb is better off using the parts for the type of vehicle he has support for.

If you bought a subaru, you wouldn't take it to a holden dealership for a service now would you? Same with rc cars, nitro, ep, gp, or even turbine, you go to, who has the experience, and the parts on hand.

You can sit there and tell me I am wrong Slydar, the truth is, what I have said makes perfect sence, and is the advice 90% of the hobby industry will give a beginner.

shift_rook
3rd December 2009, 02:22 PM
i wreckon gunners on the money, jsut got a hpi sprint 2 off beau, $250, 3 sets of rims, 9 batteries, all in different states of rootedness:D and can i just say, so worth it, so much fun, for such a small initial outlay, i don't plan to spend any money on it, just repair bits that get broken,, and maybe dial in baller neg camber. great little hobby though

slydar
4th December 2009, 02:18 AM

i am partially disagreeing with that. maybe not all tamiya models are supported. but you are using your above opinion, which im not saying isnt valid to suggest that arb' might be better of with an e10 because some tamiyas are hard to get part for from your LHS.

i am saying that your forte seems to lay else where, and that you may not have noticed, that although not every tamiya model is well support, TT01s are.

they are also a million times more upgradeable. which is something arb said he is interested in.

although i am not a full on RC car nut. i have recently got into rc drift a fair bit. rc drift is based on "touring cars". 1/10th 4wd ep. i know a little bit about them. and ive given my opinion. take it or leave it :)

there are other good cheap options out there, but of the 2 suggested, for various reasons a TT is a better choice.

driftke70
4th December 2009, 03:18 AM
just going to throw it out there, i cant really see how it would be that hard to maintain an rc car that you would worry about it.

Part of what slydar is saying is that if you had a tt01 the likelyhood of needing to take it to your "lhs" is slimmer in the first place, then once your there you are going to get better service.

Gunner
4th December 2009, 07:38 AM
I understand where slydar is coming from, and I am more than aware that the tt01 platform has been in production for more than 10 years, there is a reason for that.

They may not be too many issues that you need to concern yourself about, but its the little things that ruin the hobby for people.

But all I am saying is, a beginner needs support, whether it is tech, or parts. HPI is a huge company, with a huge array of cars, and have proven to be one of if not the biggest player in amateur R/C as of late.

Tamiya, will always, be the best, the original, and what 90% of the R/C car industry started with. I'm not trying to dispute that. I know they are tough, cheap, and there is parts around for the tt01, there would want to be its been on the market of over 10 years.

But HPI, is just as good, and if arb has access to it, he might as well run it if, Tamiya support isn't there. I know its not where I am, so the customers I deal with, I put on to HPI, as that is the biggest brand in LHS's around me at the moment, and from what I hear, nation wide. Hpi stuff is as tough as tamiya, and just as well put together.

Either way he goes, he will be happy, if he has a genuine interest in the hobby.

EP may not be my forte, but I have been involved in the hobby for near on 15 years, the first 5 or so in EP, and only tamiya EP vehicles. Onroad and offroad. I also do work for hobby shops, 3 in total (one has a small amount of tamiya stuff on the shelves), just as a fill in mechanic, and modder, then I have my mates cars, and their mates cars, so I do see alot of cars, EP, Nitro and GP. More Nitro than EP, but that doesn't make what I say invalid.

Richard
4th December 2009, 10:21 AM
You can get adjustable arms for them too for camber adjustment.

lol i just checked and i have them too.
I have every upgrade for the HPI e10 even the ones you buy custom made that are not offical HPI E10 products. i got hooked by the modifying bug cuz mods are cheap for RC car

Richard
4th December 2009, 08:47 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/3/6/5/6/30550.jpg (http://img255.imageshack.us/i/p8290134.jpg/)

lolwat
4th December 2009, 10:26 PM
For HPI FRONTLINE hobbies in Newcastle is the importer for AUS so if you ever need parts for HPI email them

Gunner
5th December 2009, 07:17 AM
problem is distributors can not, give discounts, they are good if your stuck, but are dear.

Richard
6th December 2009, 01:12 AM
Na man Frontline took other 3months to get 2 locked diffs and b4 that even happened i rang them up and just got a refund and bought a pair on ebay.
Frontline is great tho but only if they have the part dont let them order one

Slimer86
6th December 2009, 09:49 AM
Richard,
Have you ever had problems with the Tamiya style battery plugs? I had melt down on quite a few when running, and fusing of the plugs.
Since changed every plug to Deans plug, and have had no more issues.

Richard
7th December 2009, 07:51 AM
na ive never had a problem...yet

stomp
7th April 2011, 10:32 PM
fullysikaflex works great at locking diffs :)

lolwat
26th April 2011, 10:11 PM
i got a HPI sprint 2 here with one way front diff , ball bearing rear diff, "coilovers" the one peice C/v shafts
problem with it is in needs new front knuckles, the thread for the top ball joint is stripped(ripper the upper arms out when had 13T on my driveway :( ) neer use it now if you havent got anything yet pm me