PDA

View Full Version : tyre changer

redsprinter
30th November 2009, 02:35 PM
http://toolman.com.au/images/vp8270.jpg

has anybody used one of these and how would you rate them? thinking of buying one off ebay.

Jdm-Mcc
30th November 2009, 02:44 PM
That truely is as basic as they get, being man powered could prove difficult

matt99
30th November 2009, 04:16 PM
I would'nt bother. They are pretty bad to use, still require a lot of effort.

I bought a proper tyre machine a while ago for $300, and its definatly payed for itself already. Just search around for one.

redsprinter
30th November 2009, 04:29 PM
$300 wow ... all i can find min is 1k .. might try other places beside ebay .

steroidchickens
30th November 2009, 05:21 PM
only problem with the cheaper ones is they are all 3 phase power.
i think the money you spend, just make friends with the tyre shop.
i use his tyre machine and change all my own tyres anyway.
i looked into it a while ago.
but most of the time i am getting my second hand tyres from tyre shops anyway.

Mickey H
30th November 2009, 08:12 PM
At my work we have something called a bead blaster, not as easy as using a machine but it's portable and pretty handy. No idea how much they retail though. As for the pic in OP's post I wouldn't bother.

matt99
30th November 2009, 09:13 PM
only problem with the cheaper ones is they are all 3 phase power.

Mine was 3 phase, but luckily I found a single phase motor lying in my shed and im a sparky. The equation worked.

*E7*
30th November 2009, 10:17 PM
I have one of the contraptions in the first pic.

It is Shit. I wouldn't use it on any rim i didn;t want to scratch the shit out of.

It will break a bead, then you can use tyre levers to get the tyre off with minimal scratching, but it is still a lot of dicking around.

I have stopped using mine, and am also looking for a cheap second hand proper one.

I have three phase power too, so if anyone sees one... ;)

-Dave

xsoarerx
1st December 2009, 12:09 AM
your all lady's!

there easy as to use and if you do it right and take your time youll get minimal scratches on your rims.

if you dont have the space/money to buy a powered one and have to go to the tyre shop more than once a fortnight i'd get one for sure.

in 6 months of owning it ive payed for it 3 times over (if tyre changes were around 10 bucks each...)

steroidchickens
1st December 2009, 07:41 AM
Mine was 3 phase, but luckily I found a single phase motor lying in my shed and im a sparky. The equation worked.

nice work!! i had the option of getting a free three phase one. but the money it would have costed wasnt worth it.

i also purchised a bead blaster.
15x9 work equips and 195s arnt to easy with out one.

redsprinter
1st December 2009, 09:03 AM
thanks all . seen one of these for cheap like $50 cheap so i might try it out .. got some s13 skidders that i can try it on..

a proper tyre changer is still on the cards but im not sure about all this talk of 3 phase ,1 phase power output stuff .. i assuming i might need a converter of some sort so that i can use it in my garage. need to research more.

steroidchickens
1st December 2009, 09:16 AM
3 phase is industrial power supply. 1 phase is home power supply. Cost alot of meney to get 3 phase hooked at home. I looked into it. But would have worked out cheaper to just buy a 240v tyre machine. Most new ones these days are coming out 240v anyway

matt99
1st December 2009, 07:04 PM
.. i assuming i might need a converter of some sort so that i can use it in my garage. need to research more.

Have you seen the prices of these converters? In the end, it would be just as much to buy a brand new single phase one.

EDIT: Hey Chickens, where did you get your blaster from, im sick of fitting up tyres then having to drive to a mates house to inflate them, haha. Been looking 2nd hand, but no luck so far.

And xsoarerx, yeah I tryed to use leavers/contraption like the above, but doing at least 2 pairs sometimes up to 4 pairs of tyres per week gets bad, until I got tyre machine love.

steroidchickens
1st December 2009, 07:49 PM
i got it from a place in sydney that sells tyre machines.

was about $150.

will try to find the place that i got it from

Delazy
1st December 2009, 10:47 PM
EDIT: Hey Chickens, where did you get your blaster from, im sick of fitting up tyres then having to drive to a mates house to inflate them, haha. Been looking 2nd hand, but no luck so far.

beadblasters are fkn ideal...best thing ive bought...if i was renting it out rather than lending it id have made a fkload already the number of times its been used...set me back $350 brand new...push button rather than valve operated...pretty ideal

if any of your tyres at ozdriftgp were stretched on fair chance it was my beadblaster they used mofo :P

xsoarerx
2nd December 2009, 11:04 AM
button opperated :O GTFO!!!

i got my one for 310 with a valve... super happy awesome!

matt99
2nd December 2009, 04:33 PM
i got it from a place in sydney that sells tyre machines.

was about $150.

will try to find the place that i got it from

If you can find the name of the place for me, that would be great. $150 is a lot cheaper then the ones I have been chasing.

beadblasters are fkn ideal...best thing ive bought...if i was renting it out rather than lending it id have made a fkload already the number of times its been used...set me back $350 brand new...push button rather than valve operated...pretty ideal

if any of your tyres at ozdriftgp were stretched on fair chance it was my beadblaster they used mofo :P

Yeah, my mates one that I use around the corner (Mr. Fujiwara on this forum) has like the push button solenoid relase thing too, I think he payed around the $300 mark.

I took all my tyres fitted up to Oz drift, then only used like 3 pairs because of the damn rain. YOU PROMISED US NO RAIN JOHN. Haha.

steroidchickens
2nd December 2009, 06:13 PM
here you go these guys.
http://www.eaglesmf.com.au/Contact.html

dont remember how much maybe call them.

xsoarerx
8th December 2009, 10:49 AM
this is how you brake a bead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-j0hdfp9TQ0&feature=related

im gona hunt down a pair of them for track tyre changes... lol.

redsprinter
10th December 2009, 02:52 PM
or like this- http://driftpigs.co.nr/

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/0/8/31018.jpg

daily_driven_death_sled
10th December 2009, 06:52 PM
buy one, their handy to have at home and will work easily on any wheel ud be running on a keto or 86 (13-16") low profile tyres can be a hassle on these.

aswell for strech u dont need a bead blaster, a can of wd40 and a BBQ lighter will do the same thing but allmost perfect every time (with a bit of practice)

Sam-Q
1st January 2010, 11:21 PM
Me and my dad once changed a tyre on my car by putting the wheel on the ground and running over the tyre with his truck. Was amusing as well as actually working.

These sub $500 machines people are talking about are they second hand units right?

denialmark
3rd April 2010, 05:04 PM
Our range of tyre changer are suitable for removing and mounting of tyres. These are used for mounting and demounting of car & lcv tyres. Further, our range is capable of handling different sizes of wheels.

matt99
3rd April 2010, 06:53 PM
Our range of tyre changer are suitable for removing and mounting of tyres. These are used for mounting and demounting of car & lcv tyres. Further, our range is capable of handling different sizes of wheels.

Well thanks for that. Who are "you"? What is your company, and are they manual/auto? $30 or $30,000? What sizes? Etc, etc.

And Sam, in my case, yes, my $300 machine was second hand.

kerola
4th April 2010, 11:54 PM
i have one of those red tyre changer machines, picked it up for $100 at RADIUM in tullamarine, Victoria.
has been one of the handiest things i own. i am not stupid enough to use it on alloy rims and scratch the shit out of it.
but have changed hundreds of steel rims for skids and what ever.
it takes maybe 10 mins to take off a tire and fit a new one if you have a mate helping you.

ae71
5th April 2010, 02:34 AM
i used a crappy chinese tyre machine.

had pluses and minuses from the more expensive ones that tyre shops typically use.

first of all, it had a bearing/wheel thingo in the head that can come in contact with the wheel without damaging it as opposed to others that can flex and scare the rim, definite plus.

the negatives, the arm ( or what ever the technical turm is) did have a bit of flex in it, more then a reasonable machine, so you had to set it higher from the wheel to begin with. also the arm was 100% manual you adjusted it by screwing in or out a stopper depending on the diameter of the wheel. the head peice also had a manual locking mechanism.

also the way the arm was positioned made it hard to leaver the tyre as it came to the right side not the back of the wheel.

all in all it was bearable to use for a set, would not use it in a tyre shop it takes way too long to use it, would prob completely shit its self after a few weeks of constant use.

rolledup
18th August 2010, 12:26 AM
No chance youll get streched tyres or low profiles off useing that.