PDA

View Full Version : My daily/tow car... 85 F100

Touge Boy
6th December 2009, 10:41 PM
This is my Daily/tow rig... 1985 Ford F100 LWB.

It's an arizona import, bought into australia around 1990. It was originally 351 Cleveland, top loader 4 speed and a 3.55 geared 9 inch. was converted to auto when it was converted to RHD.

I bought it of some old guy who was using it just to tow his fishing boat around once a week for the princely sum of $5000. As it Has factory power steering, power assisted brakes, Air-con and a tacho dash (full XLT options) it was a hell of a bargain. It also came with every single receipt for every single dollar he'd spent on it, even full regency paperwork for compliance, the engine change and LPG conversion

It's no drag car, but it's comfy, has some grunt, tow the 86 without breaking a sweat, and I can mod it but not get hassled by the 5-0. And it's column shift so pretty thug haha.

here's what it has

Body
Full LMC chrome front end, all new lights and indicators
Custom tonneau cover

Interior
Momo "Retro" Wheel
Autometer Tacho, water temp/oil pressure/oil temp/trans temp/LPG gauge

Audio
Alpine IVA-D105E Multimedia centre headunit with reversing camera
DLS X-program 6.5 inch 3 way splits
DLS OA10 10 inch dual voice coil sub in custom box
DLS CA31 3 channel amp
Optima Yellow-top battery
All DLS RCA's, cabling and fusing

Engine / driveline
Rebuilt 351 cleveland, 302 Cleveland heads for higher compression
Stainless stem seals, Alloy water pump, Gilmer drive
Impco LPG system with 2 x 80ltr tanks
Modified IMPCO 425 LPG carby and IMPCO Type-E Convertor
Edelbrock Performer RPM Air-Gap high-Rise manifold
Crane Cams Camshaft, 276/286 duration with .509 lift,
Crane wolverine anti-pump up lifters
Manley hardened pushrods
Rollmaster double-row true-roller timing chain
Genie headers with twin 2.5 inch exhaust, Hooker aero-chamber mufflers
Full Pertronix ignition with Billet distributor, CDI Unit, High-Output digital coil and 10mm custom leads
C6 auto w/Stage 2 shift kit and B+M trans cooler
9 inch diff rebuilt by Boss Differentials, shimmed LSD, 4.11 gears (OEM "city" diff... "Highway/country" diff had 3.55's and no LSD)
Powermaster 100amp alternator, Optima Battery
Custom 4 core radiator with 2 x 12 inch thermofans

Wheel and Tyres
20 x 8.5 and 22 x 9.5 Speedy Addiction wheels in chrome
245/45 R20 and 265/35 R22 Achilles tyres

Suspension setup - FRONT
DJM 3 inch drop beams
DJM Calmax drop shocks

Suspension setup - REAR
DJM 5 inch Flip kit
DJM Calmax drop shocks
DJM 3 inch C Notch

Mods to come -
Rear Rollpan, 1995 tailgate, Modified fenders, Flushed and smoothed front bumper
Shaved Tailgate handle, side indicators, door locks, fuel flap, badges, tub hooks, tonneau cover hooks and Arial hole.
20% Window tint
Respray in 2010 hilux white (Same colour as my 86)
Will be getting front springs reset 1 inch lower (4 inch total drop) and rear leafs reset 2 inches lower (7 inch rear drop total) Sounds odd but it'll even the truck right out (Previous owner had rear leafs raised for towing his big assed boat)
Will Also be switching to 245/35 front tyres
Install New carpets, Dash/Armrests/Seats/door trims/roof lining which have been retrimmed in grey vinyl/cloth, also laying dynamat throughout the cabin

So yeah, thats it... nothing super exciting, not to everyone's tastes... but i love my truck.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/20148.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/30674.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/24837.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/8/9/9/30676.jpg

focus_7
6th December 2009, 11:02 PM
My uncle has one very similar to this, also on gas.

What capacity tanks do you have and how far will they take you?

Touge Boy
6th December 2009, 11:11 PM
I have 2 x 80 ltr tanks in there now, and the petrol tank is about 50 ltrs. When i switch to dedicated LPG im going to a single 200 ltr tank, and removing the petrol tank.

Mileage is totally dependant on my right foot. Havent really bothered to actually calculate it.

benzo
7th December 2009, 11:29 AM
Yeah this truck is very cool

Will be sweet once lowered

R&D Mechanical
8th December 2009, 10:44 PM
Yeah this truck is very cool

Will be sweet once raised!

fixed

Jdm-Mcc
11th December 2009, 05:31 PM
lol this thing is like the opposite of my ute.....MASSIVE haha looks good man

steroidchickens
11th December 2009, 09:28 PM
fixed

good fix:DD

Touge Boy
11th December 2009, 10:44 PM
I HATE Raised effies....... I want mine dumped on it's ass. It's my daily and my tow car, I dont drive it off road at all. Cheers for the props though.:))

Hazzard
29th December 2009, 07:24 PM
I like the truck but i dont really like the rims. but very very nice effie

Touge Boy
29th December 2009, 08:01 PM
Yeah, ive though about changing them, but there's a pretty limited range for the F100, as the only other cars with the same stud pattern are the suzuki vitara, or the 1980's series of Dodge pickup's. And even then it's super hard to find the right offset.

unless I want to pay $6500 for a set of custom billets from the states.:hehe:

Im looking at a set of 15 x 8 and 15 x 10 Centreline convo-pro's for a pro-street look, but I wont be able to tow legally with them. And if anything happens Ill fuck my insurance (the speedy's are 100% legit and engineered and legal on my insurance)

So they'll be staying put for the time being. :)

On a side note... i picked up a 2nd hand set of Pacemaker headers for the F100, and a new pair of Hooker aero-chamber mufflers... all i need is an exhaust made for them. Will be a simple twin 2.5 inch twin system in mild steel, single muffler per pipe. So not TOO loud, but still sound pretty good.

And my Old man has bought me a Impco 425 Gas carby with Holley throttle body, in exchange for my current Holley 600, which will be going on his HZ One-tonner ute. So She'll be running on straight LPG shortly.

I havent gotten around to putting the lowering kit in, im waiting for a new set of balljoints and radius arm bushes to arrive from the states. I couldnt have picked a worse time to order them haha.

The audio system has been in and running for a while now, and sounds stupidly good, thanks to a mate who works in an audio shop who came and tuned it all for me. Only thing I want to do is lay down a little more dynamat.

End update.:cool:

JoshKE
7th January 2010, 04:17 PM
Tough bit of gear, no doubt!

Touge Boy
7th January 2010, 06:38 PM
Cheers mate. :cool:

Now that Ive started my new job and theres a lot more cash rolling in, there'll be a lot more stuff happening with this.

Touge Boy
28th February 2010, 07:01 PM
Well, just like my AE86, I havent touched this in months apart from washing it and a service. I worked 70 hours this week alone, and when i get home I CBF'd. I also havent been driving it much, been using the company's new Mitsi Trition

Im looking at getting new wheels, namely 15 x 8 and 15 x 10 Centerline "Convo-Pro" or American Racing "Outlaw 1's"

Im over the whole 20/22 inch wheels on it, the truck is simply too old to pull off a modern minitruck style, but too new to be old school.

Centerline Convo pro's

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/cll-005103545.jpg

American Racing outlaw 1's...

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/are-614761_w.jpg

Probably run a 245/60 and a 275/60 R15 BF Goodrich Drag radial T/A with the white writing on the outside. Turns out they're load rated for my truck and ill still be ok with the wheels.

http://static.summitracing.com/global/images/prod/large/bfg-67797.jpg

I want it low, loud and going for a full "american pro-street" look now. im also going to respray it in the original off white, but wont be re-painting the burgandy two-tone. Straight white, all the chrome bits, dumped, tinted. Done.

All my balljoints and kingpins arrived from the states, and they've been stashed in the shed with the rest of the gear.

Need to get it all in there and the truck on the floor, get my exhaust done, new carby on there and have it tuned.

i also picked up a mint chrome rear bumper to replace the ghetto home-job that was on there.

Im hoping Ill have some time to work on it next weekend, I didnt do fuck all today as I was sleeping.:yeah:

corknose
28th February 2010, 07:55 PM
wow thats exaztly how my mates effie is off white pain and some nice rims and those tyres.

Touge Boy
28th February 2010, 08:00 PM
Wanna grab me a pic if you could? Wouldnt mind seeing it.

This is all still on the drawing board for the time being, need to get the 86 up and running again. And by that time Ill change my mind im sure haha.

corknose
28th February 2010, 08:05 PM
yeh ill definatly get one.

lolwat
3rd March 2010, 10:13 PM
F100 designed for this low " " see you cant even see it its too low

Touge Boy
4th March 2010, 11:04 PM
Biggest problem is being THAT low costs a LOT of money.

And I cant tow with it, cant really use it daily and if i get it defected im screwed. So the drop kit will suffice.

Would love to do bags, massive C notch and tubs in the tray, Jag XJ6 IRS front end with EA falcon powersteering front end, but thats a $10K plus proposition.

maxcreigs
10th March 2010, 05:49 PM
You car have powerful engine in which LMC chrome appear on the front side and there are also good gripped tire which have good capacity to take over load.
your car have awesome audio system and t really like it very much.

Touge Boy
24th July 2010, 08:03 PM
Bit been going on the last month or two...

It still LOOKS the same, but the engine has had a big overhaul. New headers and exhaust, New edelbrock RPM Air-Gap High-rise manifold, converted to straight LPG with an IMPCO 425 LPG Carby and a new Type E Converter, Full Pertronix Ignition system with billet distributor and CDI Unit, New Crane cam and lifters, Double Row timing chain, new pushrods, alloy water pump and gilmer belt drive haha. When tuned in a couple of weeks time it should reel off around 180kw's at the rears with a fucking MOUNTAIN of torque.

Finally having the 3/5 inch drop kit installed in a fortnights time with a 3 inch c notch in the rails, also bought a new tailgate and rear bumper, and changing the soft tonneau cover to a tuff lid.

Once the 86 is finished, It's being pulled off the road, having the doors/guards/bonnet replaced, a little bit of rust removed and it's being resprayed.

Pics soon when it LOOKS like ive done something haha.

floody
25th July 2010, 12:31 PM
Yeah, ive though about changing them, but there's a pretty limited range for the F100, as the only other cars with the same stud pattern are the suzuki vitara, or the 1980's series of Dodge pickup's. And even then it's super hard to find the right offset.

What? Isn't it 5x114.3? Its probably the most common stud pattern on the planet dude!

Touge Boy
25th July 2010, 01:38 PM
Nope. It's 5 x 139.7 or 5x5.5". And it requires an offset depending on width of -12 to +15. most wheels in that pattern are a lot higher (+35 to +40) or a lot lower (-20 to -45)

If it was 5 x 114.3 I would have changed wheels a long time ago.

floody
25th July 2010, 10:10 PM
Ah wow, that is pox. Turns out they're both, low GVM models are 5x114.3.
At least you should have little issue getting American wheels for it like you'd pictured. Check out Jegs, Summit Racing and Tirerack.

Touge Boy
25th July 2010, 11:14 PM
Yeah ford ranger is 5X114.3, but the brakes are a lot smaller. And the majority of my gear comes from Summit already

Wheels are the last thing on my list. Ill wait till everything else is done then get some new shoes. I know what ones I want, but Ive got the 86 to finish and a few things to do on this first.

Andy San
28th July 2010, 06:40 PM
black sunraysias and 35's.... done!

Touge Boy
28th July 2010, 11:05 PM
yeah.... nah. As Ive said before, if it was a 4x4, it'd have a 6 inch lift and 40's.

But it's just my daily and tow car, so low and big wheels it is.

floody
6th August 2010, 07:36 PM
http://www.boostcruising.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=548641&hl=centrelines

Touge Boy
6th August 2010, 07:55 PM
haha, Id love to, but they wont fit. most 11's and 12's have too low backspacing to fit under normal guards.

The wheels I want are an 18 x 9 0 and a 20 x 10 -6 American Racing Torq-thrust II in polished. But, Ive got to finish the 86 and get a bit more done on this before I replace my wheels.

Like replacing the heads as Ive burnt an exhaust valve. Ive located a reco'd set, just need to do something about it.

Fusion
17th August 2010, 09:29 PM
Pretty sure I spotted you on . . Montague Road? Parafield Gardens area.

Goddamn its a tank hahaha

Touge Boy
23rd August 2010, 09:03 AM
Would have been me. I live at the top of montague road. And ive never seen another one with the same paint as mine.

And yeah, it's not small haha.