PDA

View Full Version : Recommended Vic Engineers place

rthy
19th January 2009, 01:58 PM
Looking for a place to get engineers done, any places recommended?
prefered from the list on the vic roads website

shift_rook
19th January 2009, 02:41 PM
i'll need one in about 6 months too. anyone got one??

rthy
19th January 2009, 02:56 PM
i called up some guy in East Keilor, going rate is about $800
and thats for the whole car (including rollcage/bucketseat, but same price if u dont have one)

Hokey
19th January 2009, 03:16 PM
i've been quoted anywhere from 450-800 for an engineers certificate. i don't think the amount of mods really matter a whole lot. i just rang around the people on the vic roads website

shakes
19th January 2009, 04:14 PM
i've been quoted anywhere from 450-800 for an engineers certificate. i don't think the amount of mods really matter a whole lot. i just rang around the people on the vic roads website

bill matzoukis (spelling) from torque talk

charges per hour, has worked with me and other people with stuff alot more extreme than a cage and engine conversion and been as reasonable as engineers get

rthy
19th January 2009, 05:51 PM
yea tried calling Bill Malkoutzis at Torque Talk Automotive (03 9439 2334) in Eltham.
ill give him a call tomorrow

blacktopspirit
19th January 2009, 07:11 PM
don't quote me on this I think the new guy that bought Autobarn Doncaster does all this gear, it's worth a phone call anyway!

Hen may possibly be a nut
20th January 2009, 07:30 PM
I had a preliminary chat with Rohan from the listed place in Richmond (can't remember name right now). Seemed helpful, reasonable and somewhat impressed with what I'd shoehorned under the car. Never took it any further though, so can't comment more.

Hen

rthy
20th January 2009, 09:54 PM
kool will take alook into it, after i have cleaned up the car somewhat

matt99
20th January 2009, 10:53 PM
My ol man and Bill both got caught racing VW's round the Kew bulavad in the 70's :))

Did they get caught because they broke down? Haha.

matt99
21st January 2009, 09:08 PM
Shitty VW, haha.

KE70
22nd January 2009, 01:13 PM
So has anyone here gotten their car engineered?

If so which engineer did you use and what did he make you do.

When and if I do mine I want to go to someone that has signed off on a 4age swap into a ke70 or ae86.

Hen may possibly be a nut
26th January 2009, 06:57 PM
I never went through with it, but I did sit down and have a good hour long chat with Rohan from IDB in Richmond and he outlined what was needed. From memory (18 months ago, so forgive me if not 100% accurate) the process was:

- Our chat, where he outlined what to check and what was done in the initial inspection.
- I go home and prepare/check everything on the car.
- Book it in for an initial inspection. This is where they really look at it.
Main points:
- Engine should be stock. Some modifications allowed as long as it can be shown/persuaded that they will not adversely effect emissions.
- All custom fab work should be solid and reliable.
- If suspension is altered, they check toe-in/out through suspension travel. They want to see slight and linear toe-in as the suspension compresses.
- Also offsets and track need to be looked at if the suspension is altered.
- A brake test is done. 15 stops from 60-20 to warm up the brakes, then two stops from 100-5. If the brake pedal goes hard or the brakes fade then you fail.
- Exhaust must be 10mm from all motor bits and 20mm from body.

After the first test you pass or fail and can go home and fix any issues, then come back and hopefully pass. The most important thing is the emissions requirement.

I think if I had done it it would have been somewhere between $500 and $1000, much of which is Vicroads paperwork charges.

But just give a few engineers a ring, then visit in person the one you like the most. And try not to sound like a 17yr old dreamer.

Hen

rthy
2nd April 2009, 02:53 PM
called Torque Talk Automotive
(03 9439 2334 in Eltham)

*CARBY to EFi Engineers certificate
Approx $550ish
Using all factory Mounts (engine/gearbox)
Using factory AE86 Front brakes upgrade
175/14r14 tyre upgrade
Will do brake test

*Checks by mechanics (will need signatures)
Engine Scan Check (make sure no fault codes)
4way gas analyzer Check (2% carbon monoxide)
weighbridge Check (new wieght of car with engine, etc..)

ae86
2nd April 2009, 05:00 PM
i'll need one in about 6 months too. anyone got one??

i wouldnt bother man, either way ur gona get done, new p platers arnt alowed to drive cars with engineer certs for mods, ideally your not alowed to have any kind of power modification

Vezza
24th July 2009, 01:12 AM
Hey just thought I'd drag this thread back up. I'm interested in getting mine engineered and was wondering how you went?

.ady
24th July 2009, 02:09 PM
the info is there but im pretty sure he didnt go through with it

rthy
24th July 2009, 06:22 PM
didnt bother, but to brake it down:
cheapest way is to engineer the whole car,
either be 4age convo or 1uz convo its $800
aslong as the brakes and suspension have been change to meet the new power requirements.

TRolla86
19th March 2013, 10:52 PM
digging up an old thread.. looking at 20v or gze conversion anyone got engineered ?