PDA

View Full Version : What to do???

sotiros86
27th January 2010, 10:55 PM
Got this sucker for free off a mate from work on Saturday. The bike was in an accident about 9 months ago, and as such he was going to scrap it cause he couldnt be bothered to fix it, but instead he ended up giving it to me. Its a 2000 Honda VTR250, engine still runs fine, but the front forks, handlebars and tank are all screwed (i.e. dented and twisted).

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/1/9/5/35449.jpg

Now, my dilemma is:

do i fix the bike, get it registered, get my license and ride it for a while
Sell the bike and make a sweet profit (the guy said he doesnt care if i sell it so long as i dont tell him how much i get for it)
Put the engine, gearbox, brakes, etc into something else - perhaps build a bobber or something crazy like a buggy

What do you guys think? Each option has its pro's and con's. For example having a bike would be cool, having cash is always handy but having something like a crazy little bobber or dune buggy is just unreal. But at the same time if i keep the bike i have to buy all of the riding gear + get my license + pay for rego, and if i build something stupid then i have to store it somewhere, and if i sell it then i dont have as many toys haha.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

Cheers

Javal
27th January 2010, 11:09 PM
If you have welding and fabrication skills, build a bobber.
If you have time, repair the bike.
If you have the CBF's, sell it.

I vote for the bobber if you have the skills to do it.

sotiros86
27th January 2010, 11:15 PM
See thats the problem, my fabrication skills arent anything fantastic. Im better at designing stuff like that rather than actually doing it. If i was a gun fabricator i would build a bobber straight away, but as i also suffer from the CBF's i cant really decide what to do.

If i can find a half decent frame and forks then it would make doing a bobber much easier; but also more expensive

Javal
27th January 2010, 11:23 PM
Decide for yourself, I am not you.

ArbPotatoes
27th January 2010, 11:33 PM
Fix it. Would be a fun learner bike.

86TRD
28th January 2010, 02:41 PM
fix it up and ride it , pretty sweet since you got it for free.

ATESIX
29th January 2010, 10:22 PM
i reckon either fix it basic and get it running or build the bobber.

like 86TRD said, you got it for free and it could end up being another fun project or so for you.

biggo
30th January 2010, 09:58 PM
whats wrong with you people.

give it to me so i can do everything you ever wanted!

Beau
7th February 2010, 01:07 PM
Give it to me and i'll make it awesome!

shakes
9th February 2010, 11:00 AM
i'd check to see if it was on the list of repairable write off's before I done anything and not a stat write off.

miniman1
20th May 2010, 04:24 PM
Ill take it off ya hands...... Shouldnt be a stat writeoff unless theres frame damage....

If I was u, I'd keep it, cut down the subrame- 'semi bobber style'... Throw on some USD forks, custom exhaust etc, LOVE the lil VTR's, they're alot of fun to ride!!

Bluterus
23rd June 2010, 03:41 PM
Keep it. Don't make it into a buggy or anything it will be like most of those projects and end up as a bike being sold as bits and pieces in boxes because you pulled it apart and was like yes I'm doing this then going meh I wanna spend more on my 86.

Repairing it would be easy. Handlebars would be free if you know someone or no more than $40 surely. CB250 bars will fit and there's heaps of those around. They'd take about 10mins to swap. Tank would be easy to find too and forks. In 3 hours you could replace forks, tank and bars and probably get them for all under $300. $450 rego $70 roadworthy, Go to a cheap bike store Helmet $99, pants $99, Jacket $99, Gloves $50, Boots $99. License depending on state say $150. So say $1500 you'd have license, gear and a sweet bike.
Think about the money you'd save on fuel. Cheap gear sucks though so start off with cheap stuff and upgrade over time that's what I did.