PDA

View Full Version : Rust repair jobs

Rice86
21st January 2009, 09:23 AM
so...........
im sure everyone has attempted this

has anyone done a real simple and effective method of rust repair?...

sand back, spray rust converter bullsh!t, paint....well something like that..

im not talking about converting a rust bucket into a car, just some simple rust repair method and how effective it is, ive had my attempts and they seem to work, but the ones that needs more attention, we'll i need more info on how to fix em

45aken
21st January 2009, 04:17 PM
If your going to do it right this time with money pay a shop to weld in new steel (if you cant weld)
it's the only way man,
you can rust convert and bog it all you want but the filthy rust will still come back.

marvis
21st January 2009, 07:33 PM
IMO Chop the shit out weld steel in and bog it up.

If you don't know how to do it, learn.

drift kid
21st January 2009, 08:13 PM
if it's not a big patch, just some little holes, cut it out and get some "knead it" from bunnings, it's an epoxy metal filler thingy, mash it up, plug hole with it and file/sand, if needed putty then sand, paint all done, but if the hole is too big u should make peice to go in the hole nicely, weld it in, bog up sand then paint, all good, not hard.

redsprinter
21st January 2009, 10:03 PM
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~hays/crx/dx/rust_repair/ <-- click here .

Rice86
21st January 2009, 10:52 PM
thnx drift kid and redsprinter

mals86
22nd January 2009, 08:06 AM
Yeah the more steel you can use the better, just play with the shape etc till you get it nice and snug. another way is to slightly tap in the edges around the hole just enough so the new piece sits in flush. Then weld and grind to make it look good, but also try to use some rust converter/primer to keep it from going rusty again.

Dave
23rd January 2009, 12:09 AM
how about some fairly gd surface rust? what would be the best way e.g. on struts

45aken
23rd January 2009, 12:22 AM
The best way would be to sand blast it off and then paint it.
more practical way would be wire brush, sand, etch prime, prime then paint.
It took me about 6 weeks to cut the rust out and weld new steel into my car, do it right the first time and it'll be good for another 20 years.