PDA

View Full Version : raw mode fail

RRX-007
7th February 2010, 02:24 PM
hey everyone,
so i went out to drift prac last night at mallala and had a few mates out there sliding. was shooting in raw mode, some sick photos came up. went back to my mates house to try put them up. and the photos didnt come up. came back to my house and the photos start importing then at the end of the import it says the photos are unreadbale files? does anyone kno anything about this happening, or is there a way i can change the file so it is readbale?
any help with great.
cheers

R&D Mechanical
7th February 2010, 02:29 PM
hey mate, what is the file type atm?

letsgohunting
7th February 2010, 03:23 PM
You need a raw converter. Something like Adobe Camera RAW in photoshop, adobe lightroom, apple aperture or even apple iphoto 09. Any one of those will convert the raw file into a readable format. A normal windows computer won't really even show a preview of a raw file unless you have windows 7 with specific drivers installed. If you use a mac you should see the preview straight away, but I'm assuming you don't.

Download free trial of adobe lightroom or ACR.

Just shoot in JPEG if you don't want to have to convert RAWs.

driftke70
7th February 2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=D48E808E-B10D-4CE4-A141-5866FD4A3286&displaylang=en

letsgohunting
7th February 2010, 07:13 PM
While you're there, download this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=C927CCCF-4CB7-4F92-AFAA-6F16663B23B4&displaylang=en

letsgohunting
7th February 2010, 07:15 PM
Also note that raw viewer for xp plugin won't actually allow you to edit or convert your raw files to JPEGs, it will only allow you to preview the file, which is still pretty much useless unless you have a dedicated raw converter.

RRX-007
7th February 2010, 09:28 PM
You need a raw converter. Something like Adobe Camera RAW in photoshop, adobe lightroom, apple aperture or even apple iphoto 09. Any one of those will convert the raw file into a readable format. A normal windows computer won't really even show a preview of a raw file unless you have windows 7 with specific drivers installed. If you use a mac you should see the preview straight away, but I'm assuming you don't.

Download free trial of adobe lightroom or ACR.

Just shoot in JPEG if you don't want to have to convert RAWs.

hey. i got a mac and im 100% sure it got iphoto 09 cause it a heaps new computer. the preview shows up then you select and import then it imports then says they are unreadable. can you change the file on iphoto? and is apple aperature like photoshop?
cheers

letsgohunting
8th February 2010, 12:11 AM
Aperture is like an advanced version of iphoto for pros, don't bother if you don't know much about photography - iphoto 09 is good enough to use when you're starting out. What camera are you using and what is the file extension of the raw file? For instance a canon will make a file like 00235.CR2 and a Nikon will make one like 032958.NEF, olympus is .ORF. Gotta make sure the camera is supported in iphoto - sometimes there are obscure cameras like the sigma DSLRs that have little support.

If it's a canon or nikon DSLR and isn't reading it, chances are the files are corrupted somehow. It may be your memory card so try a different memory card in the same camera making sure to format it (in the camera) before you even take photos with it.

RRX-007
8th February 2010, 10:36 AM
a nikon d3000 and yeh they come up as NEF files. so if there a way to change them to .JPEG or something. i was searching around the internet last night and found some raw file converters thats made for mac osx and nikon. do you reckon this might do the job?

letsgohunting
8th February 2010, 11:13 PM
Yeah they don't yet support the d3000 in iphoto. Have to download a seperate raw converter. Get the adobe lightroom 3 beta trial and use it for the next month or 2. there's a few free ones kicking around as well. it's the only way to convert RAW files to a useable format.

Basically though, if you don't know this sort of stuff you probably shouldn't be shooting raw. Just use super fine JPEGs, with a +1 saturation, -1 contrast, +1 sharpness setting in picture control. That's my fave setting for nikons anyway. Oh, and turn off active D lighting - it just increases noise too much above iso 400

RRX-007
9th February 2010, 04:48 PM
cheers for that. i found this thing on the camera. nef(raw) converter. changes them to jpegs and makes them a lil bit clearer.
might download a raw converter on computer anyway. be heaps easier.

BeeJay
10th February 2010, 10:53 AM
Letsgohunting is spot on with the end of to his comment....

Dont worry about photographing in RAW, if you dont have the progams to support it, then dont worry about it, just flick to .jpg only on your largest, finest settings, and you wont have a worry. You'll also have a shite load more room on your Card.