PDA

View Full Version : refilling bbq bottle at the petrol stations

tauhu86
8th March 2010, 05:54 PM
Has anyone done this before?

can i buy a refill adapter off the shelf so that i can refill my bbq tank?

i was even thinking of salvaging a 90L auto lpg tank and make it work with a bbq.

Does anyone here have any info on this?

Thanks!

Dazzla86
8th March 2010, 06:59 PM
lol you'll take out your whole suburb if that 90 litre one blows up

Moebius
8th March 2010, 07:20 PM
Are you talking about a regular 9kg gas bottle? Most places just do an exchange, but I suppose you want specific info regarding refilling it yourself to save some money, in which case I have no idea sorry.

tauhu86
9th March 2010, 01:18 AM
talking about this...i'm looking for another 9kg gas tank. Does anyone have a spare one lying around...and wouldnt mind selling to me for cheap?
will pick up.

Nikkojoe
9th March 2010, 01:33 AM
You can buy new 9kg tanks empty from malz and probably most other camping stores.

H8CHIR6KU
9th March 2010, 12:16 PM
you can buy a new one from petrol stations. the exchange ones can be purchased. expect to pay around 35 bucks for a 9kg bottle just for gas tho. i think its an extra 30 for a bottle

most places do exchange but some can refill old ones. i know i fill them at my work

jmorley
9th March 2010, 02:46 PM
do you meen fill it up with lpg from the bowser

H8CHIR6KU
9th March 2010, 04:40 PM
i see what your getting at now. something tells me that isnt going to work.

those tanks only last so long and need servicing. and then trying to get fittings to make it connect to your bbq. but i mean how many bbqs do you have that you need a car tank with 90 ltrs of gas.

not only that it would be a pig everytime you wanna get it filed up or have to move it

blair
9th March 2010, 05:06 PM
But... fill it up once and it'll last for life! haaaa

H8CHIR6KU
9th March 2010, 09:45 PM
But... fill it up once and it'll last for life! haaaa

the tank wont thats holding all that gas

--Redwork--
9th March 2010, 09:50 PM
We fill the tank off our fork lift at the servo...
normal BBQ bottles don't have the right fitting though.??.

tauhu86
9th March 2010, 11:21 PM
normal barbies have female POL fittings
the nozzles at the servo's have female ACME fittings

the LPG filler neck on an LPG powered car has a male ACME fitting

so....If there is a male ACME 1 3/4" to male POL adapter, there shouldnt be any problem filling up a bbq tank at the servo

H8CHIR6KU
11th March 2010, 01:22 AM
i asked my boss bout this and he said they wouldnt let you fill up a tank like that at a servo. it has to be used to power the car that its filling. the reason for this is people can make nice bombs or some shit