PDA

View Full Version : Combining red-light and speed cameras

drift kid
12th March 2010, 09:40 AM
I just thought i'd share this info, if it has already been mentioned or posed please just delete this thread.

Safety cameras – Combining red-light and speed cameras

Over the next four years, the RTA is replacing existing red-light cameras with safety cameras at 200 locations across NSW.

In December 2009, the RTA began to combine red-light cameras with fixed speed cameras at 50 locations across the state. The safety camera is capable of detecting speeding vehicles, vehicles running red lights, or both.

No new ‘combined’ offences have been created. Drivers will face a penalty notice and associated demerit points for each offence committed.

Safety cameras are being introduced to make intersections safer and reduce the number of crashes at traffic lights.

According to the RTA, “Evaluations of camera enforcement of red-light offences conducted in Australia and overseas have shown this type of enforcement is clearly effective in reducing casualty crashes at intersections. When the evaluations were considered together it is estimated that camera enforcement of red-light offences reduces the number of casualty crashes at intersections by around 30 per cent.”

Intersections with safety cameras will be signposted accordingly. However, motorists need to be aware that there is only one sign warning of the new safety camera, unlike existing fixed speed cameras which have three warning signs in advance.

Source: http://www.mynrmacommunity.com/motoring/2010/02/04/safety-cameras-combining-red-light-and-speed-cameras/

dave2221
19th March 2010, 10:35 AM
i think the cameras are a good idea (ugh i cant believe i just said that)

i mean if they save lives and stop people speeding through lights then thats good.

i bet i get a fricken fine from one tho... but i spose if we follow the laws we have nothing to worry about.... (i am guessing most of us are worried then)

marvis
19th March 2010, 11:33 AM
I think it's a good idea also.

-ollie-
19th March 2010, 12:17 PM
I think they are also a good idea, but now i get nervous whenever i know there is a red light camera, cause i dont want to mash on the brakes (ae71 stockies) due to locking up , and then i also cant give it a bit of extra stick, cause then the speed camera will get me!!!

ae8zn6
19th March 2010, 12:46 PM
They've been like that in Canberra for years... As long as your sensible there is no issue

AJPS
19th March 2010, 04:51 PM
They have HEAPS in SA. They cause MORE crashes cos people hit the brakes on a yellow....

Cameras fail.