PDA

View Full Version : drifting an Na ae86

slider4life
12th March 2010, 02:56 PM
hey guys ive just picked up myself an na 20v ae86 a while ago i got a few issues sorted with the car and was finally ready to go out and have a slide. now im used to 3 and 400 hp cars now ive gone to a humble 120hp ae86, ive found it to be rather difficault to drift in, obviously there is a nack to it that i havent worked out yet. when im out with the boys in the wet i have no dramas and im over the moon with it, but in the dry its a hole diffrent ball game any advise will be welcomed.

also so you know car has blacktop 20v, haltech comp ,272 cams, 2 way with 4.8 final drive gear,solid springs i think it 8kg.

is there any thing i can do to make it want to slide in the dry a little easier

--Redwork--
12th March 2010, 03:19 PM
Sway bars.. tyres.. tyre preasures.. MORE SPEED.... try that and see how you go... Really need Robo's input on this one... kid is a machine..

slider4life
12th March 2010, 03:28 PM
i ran rear tyre pressure at 38 psi have 15 inch kong rewinds on the car no sway bars tyres are summoto crap

Robo86
12th March 2010, 03:33 PM
^^ Redwork! :P

Yer to me its all about speed and lines, theres alot less room for error i guess (compared to drifting the 3-400hp cars). I guess you could say you need to be really committed to the slide, hit your lines and keep your speed up (boot it!). god i hate sounding like a know it all wanker. i run 40 psi rear (new tyres) and 36-38 front, rear pressures really make a difference.

once again hate to sound like a wanker, but feel free to check out my vids if you wanna see a car with similar setup going, practice is the KEY, theres no law book on how to do it either, just go out and learn the car! enjoy it, thats what its about.

http://www.vimeo.com/9490831
http://www.vimeo.com/8883436 - rest can be found on my page

Robo

ae86
12th March 2010, 04:03 PM
120rwhp is a fair load more than what alot of us have, some s13 boys slide with that much, key is to just keep getting out there practice
once u start getting the nuts to hit the corner quicker n quicker ull find it alot more fun

i normally run 32psi fronts and 44 psi rears, 2nd handy rears are awesome for dry feels like wet anyway

slider4life
12th March 2010, 04:11 PM
Robo86 mate you dont sound like a wanker you seem to do it just fine lol. i will try the new tyre pressure what revs you sitting at and what diff you have with crown wheel ???

Robo86
12th March 2010, 04:17 PM
haha thanks mate.

i have a 4.778 Crown wheel and pinion, 7age motor (basically a 4age) hard to really say what revs i sit at as it varys heaps corner by corner etc

marvis
12th March 2010, 04:21 PM
What they said, speed and lines. Throw the weight around.

I ran 40PSI cold.

What suspension setup? You can have all the power in the world, but it's not going to matter if you got king springs if you are drifting.

slider4life
12th March 2010, 04:30 PM
i have 8kg springs up front and rear with tokico shocks whitline bushes through out 35mm rca and rear whitline adjust pan har rodthat about it

keiichi
12th March 2010, 06:15 PM
^^ Redwork! :P

Yer to me its all about speed and lines, theres alot less room for error i guess (compared to drifting the 3-400hp cars). I guess you could say you need to be really committed to the slide, hit your lines and keep your speed up (boot it!). god i hate sounding like a know it all wanker. i run 40 psi rear (new tyres) and 36-38 front, rear pressures really make a difference.

once again hate to sound like a wanker, but feel free to check out my vids if you wanna see a car with similar setup going, practice is the KEY, theres no law book on how to do it either, just go out and learn the car! enjoy it, thats what its about.

http://www.vimeo.com/9490831
http://www.vimeo.com/8883436 - rest can be found on my page

Robo

those were awesome to watch man thankyou :D

keiichi
12th March 2010, 06:17 PM
i have 8kg springs up front and rear with tokico shocks whitline bushes through out 35mm rca and rear whitline adjust pan har rodthat about it

tried playing with damper settings much? like wind it up a point a time until its feels a bit easier, then if it gets a bit skippish/slippery go back one or two (tokiko hts i assume? u think they like 45 points of adjustment eh)

Konakid
13th March 2010, 10:27 PM
Swaybars will make it even harder to slide.

Get an 18mm rear bar.

Go faster.

obey wan boenny
13th March 2010, 11:57 PM
Robo advise is good. mine would be enter faster, dont handbrake, and practice :)

slide86
14th March 2010, 01:42 AM
hope you got a strong left leg

kick kick kick

ae71neo
14th March 2010, 09:06 AM
Speed + clutch. Handbrake is needed on certain corners, dont disregard it.

racsov
14th March 2010, 10:53 AM
lift the throttle as little as possible and pick your lines so you can keep it down, also brakes are good for giving a tap to weight shift, otherwise they arent needed :)

R&D Mechanical
14th March 2010, 02:47 PM
foot flat, kick and flick

hachi_dk
14th March 2010, 06:58 PM
go fast.
get 4.778's.
LSD.
swaybars.
6-8kg fronts, 4-6kg rears.
enjoy.

slider4life
17th March 2010, 04:33 PM
So what is better for sliding thicker or thinner sway bars, I know for track car handling you normally go for thicker sway bars but not sure for drifting?

and is it better thicker on front or rear ect

Touge Boy
17th March 2010, 04:37 PM
I use thicker front and rear, but it also depends on the person and the driving style.

Todd
17th March 2010, 05:04 PM
personally for drift i would be leaning towards having a stiffer rear swaybar to help induce oversteer, but thats just me. you want a balance, otherwise u wont have any grip and essentially your skid would be like a glorified burnout.

best bet is to buy adjustable gear and keep fiddling around with it until you find a setup that suits yourself.

Rice86
17th March 2010, 05:46 PM
have you checked to see if you have an LSD?...sway bars and all are all good but check for LSD first...2way or locker

heaps of people drift with stock to adjustables swaybars fine, not essential to GET it to drift, LSD are!! haha

sounds like ur car has all that it already needs, i think its just you that needs some modification =p, practice dont make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect

worked
17th March 2010, 07:13 PM
i had no idea so many people ran 4.7s!!!!
i'm buying some!! cbf my s series and it's stock 3.9

but yes everyone is giving you mint advice cos they drift the same bus, you need alot of speed, at our local track i don't lift off from the start line till the scando before the first corner which is midto top of third (worried what a 4.7 will be like with that now)

ae86
18th March 2010, 07:41 AM
yeah at the moment im running a sucky 3.9 too since its my spare cw&p since i chewed teeth off my 4.3, going to move to 4.556 dont think theres a need for 4.7 i aint hitting high end 3rd gear like rob

slider4life
18th March 2010, 08:02 AM
thanks for all the feed back guys and yes i have a trd 2 way installed which helps alot i got the car tuned yesturday and it was an absoulte mess i have a black top 20v with haltec, quads and 272 deg toda cams, i threw it on the rollers done a power run and it made 84hp at the wheels:thumbdown: the air fuel was sitting on 10 the hole way threw. after a tweak and play my tuner mike chad had it singing it now makes 127hp at the wheels and now it slides no worries :wub: so the old owner that told me it was making 120hp is wrong wrong and wrong.
and also the air fuel ratio is now sitting betwwen 12 and 13 is this too lean you think??

and trust me guys i would love to be practicing on a track but the closest one for me is about 2 and half to 3 hours away it sucks

Clinton
18th March 2010, 09:54 AM
A thicker rear swaybar creates oversteer.

--Redwork--
18th March 2010, 12:38 PM
12.5 afr is optimal.... Apparently..

redsprinter
18th March 2010, 01:04 PM
find your power band (5000rpm +) and stick to it. once your out of the power band it wont slide. doesnt matter how many times you clutch kick it . it wont do shit ..

the 4.7 should help you stay in the top end of the rev range. i drift with a gay 4.1 and struggle sometimes on tight corner when entering too slow ... what you got sounds good . go for it and good luck.

Andy San
18th March 2010, 01:55 PM
Should go a lot better with a proper tune. Even a motor with lots of good bits needs to be tuned and setup right to make it useful to drive. As the other guys have said, putting 4.7 gears on the diff will make a lot of difference to how the power is delivered as well. I think it is the best ratio for getting the most out of the 4age's power.

H8CHIR6KU
23rd March 2010, 10:53 PM
thicker or thinner swaybars i dont think matters too much. what matters most with swaybars is the stiffness compared to the other swaybar.

you will still struggle with understeer if you just put thicker bars on front and rear, but if you were to adjust the rear harder than the front you will find that understeer disappear.

what matters more than thickness is the correlation of the swaybars working together as a whole imo

Dazzla86
23rd March 2010, 11:56 PM
hold your foot flat, open your eyes really really wide like a owl, throw it in, your anus will naturally tighten, then halfway throught its all good. continue round, you may have a small snooze at this time if needed, exit foot flat, keeping it in the torque band for your setup for the next corner and repeat. keep it at a speed that suits your engines power, especially NA. for us its more suspension that gets us sliding, the power will continue the slide....

but i suck so yeah haha

Richard
24th March 2010, 11:55 AM
full lock full throttle BOGAN STYLE

hachi_dk
24th March 2010, 02:30 PM
^^ lmao

sprinter666
26th March 2010, 12:28 PM
k question, mine is a mad slider, 4ac, everything wrong with it, front end bent as a bitch, i have no troubles entering fast, holding a slide, and booting it on the exit, fair fun with a 4a, now problem is i rely soley on the handbrake for entry as i can judge it pretty well and im comfortable with it, annoyingly my handbrake is gone so its harder and im hearing alot of scando, clutch kick, shift lock, but how do u figure it out i havnt been game enough for high speed scandos and shift lock dont always work and no power to clutch in power and dump it. handbrake is always a sure thing to lose traction for my car where shift lock has nearly put me into a tree.... advise? bit more detail would be sweet :P

keiichi
26th March 2010, 12:49 PM
go to a track? oh wait sorry you live in melbourne.

Rice86
26th March 2010, 01:14 PM
k question, mine is a mad slider, 4ac, everything wrong with it, front end bent as a bitch, i have no troubles entering fast, holding a slide, and booting it on the exit, fair fun with a 4a, now problem is i rely soley on the handbrake for entry as i can judge it pretty well and im comfortable with it, annoyingly my handbrake is gone so its harder and im hearing alot of scando, clutch kick, shift lock, but how do u figure it out i havnt been game enough for high speed scandos and shift lock dont always work and no power to clutch in power and dump it. handbrake is always a sure thing to lose traction for my car where shift lock has nearly put me into a tree.... advise? bit more detail would be sweet :P

fix ur hand brakes

sprinter666
26th March 2010, 01:25 PM
keiichi...fuck you lol pay for me to go n i will! and yes i wikk fix them but blah isnt rather lame relying on just handbrake? i like it but wouldnt mind doing more.

keiichi
26th March 2010, 01:30 PM
keiichi...fuck you lol pay for me to go n i will!

im in the same situation as you man

sprinter666
26th March 2010, 01:58 PM
aye, not goin 4 hours to winton to brake something

chapl
26th March 2010, 02:13 PM
maybe even consider going to 14" wheels. they spin a little easier than 15s

Mr Fujiwara
26th March 2010, 02:52 PM
you're in melbourne? theres a few places to slide there :) but i dont incourage people anymore, since the police presence is increasing at an alarming rate.

my car is stock bigport with webers and 12months ago made 75 rw kw, but there's no way its making that much anymore, comps are wayyy down and its burning oil.
my car has S13 front end (bit iffy) and falcon springs in the rear with sierra shocks, i have whiteline swaybars (adjustable) rear is set as hard as it goes and front is as soft as it goes, i dont use the handbrake to initiate i just clutch kick it, i find myself revving my car fromt 5 upwards (ive got no rev limiter coz of carbies so it somtimes see's crazy rpms) key is speed and as they've all said, getting good lines, you can afford to be handbraking and loosing speed to change your line, and you cant afford to lift off too much or else it will try and grip up, at winton i find myself somtimes extending with handbrakes through transitions when im going really quick but otherwise its entering at like 80-100 and throwing the thing.

i think just drive your car around heaps and get really comfortable with everything, like location of handbrake (some people say ae86 is in a weird spot) and then when you start getting faster things feel more familiar. also you'll want a bucket seat, stock seats are crazy, you find yourself on the centre consol or propped up against the door if you're throwing it around haha

this is my car at winton last sunday, its nothing special and it was early in the day, i got faster towards the end and linked the front S's a few times. and there's no speedo but youre all sprinter drivers and will know what 4-5,000 is in 3rd gear
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xoV4_8h0SOI&feature=player_embedded

ke_70
26th March 2010, 10:07 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/2/1/549373.jpg

made me think of this

and my contribution to get the ke sideways i found like 5 yo 155 retreads and a rear bar silghtly worked should be easy with a 4a

sprinter666
27th March 2010, 11:33 AM
nice vid albert, see id do that but no 4age yet, its afew weeks off, even with feints im not sure a clutch kick with a 4ac would get it sideways.

mr2drift
28th March 2010, 08:18 PM
three words....

ENTRY SPEED

BALLS....

that is all

slider4life
25th April 2010, 01:21 PM
well im finally goin to the track tommorow to see what my thing can do im excited and nervous at the same time im taking down 15 and 14 inch rims and see what the diff is. cant wait

pen15
25th April 2010, 01:25 PM
was at the track the other night sutup comes into play alot look at ae71neo and his setup i have copied alot of the same gear as he is using and now i can drift with ease 14inch ftw

slider4life
26th April 2010, 06:20 PM
well guys had a great day today at the track my ae86 more then proved its self worthy i had an absoloute ball out there except when i had a dissagrement with a tyre wall, the wall one. ill post some pics up when i get them off my mate. also there was another 86 there just watchin it was an electric green standard bumpers any one from here???

biggo
27th April 2010, 07:59 PM
FASTEDDIE

But you would have known that if you said gday.

slider4life
27th April 2010, 09:49 PM
i would have said hi only seen the 86 on it own then it dissapeared up the back of the hill oh well next time will have a chat i had a blast loved it up there cant wait to go again

slider4life
1st May 2010, 11:43 PM

ke_70
2nd May 2010, 06:36 PM
eddies in sa dude and i think he runs a vertex copy to

86TRD
7th May 2010, 01:38 AM
that track looks like Raleigh raceway, needs to be wider imo.
especially since the track was first built for go-karts.

stouty
7th May 2010, 11:38 AM
Its pretty good man ive been around it a few times twice drifting was fine just not much room for error. Being hilly makes it a little more interesting then most other places

slider4life
11th May 2010, 11:06 PM
yeah it is railghy its a good track nice and tight

sprinter666
2nd July 2010, 04:34 PM
got a spare room i wanna get outa melb we dun have go kart tracks even :'( how much the day there cost if u dont mind me askin?? good pics to btw :)

slider4life
5th July 2010, 02:39 PM
go up any day you like its 80 dollars for the hole day only catch is if there is a bunch of gokratrs on the day the get first choice been there many of times and you see maybe 3 to 6 groups and its only a 20min session, that gives me enough time to check over car change tyres and have a drink and your back out there