PDA

View Full Version : Jimtune's Race KP61 starlet

jimtune
3rd April 2010, 11:31 PM
Hey there Im Jamie,
Glad I found a new club with a passion for the 4AGE,

Just thought id share some details about my car.
I have had this one for 12 years and its been through several builds over the years.
Started with a TRD 4K upright engine then some years later was converted to a Atlantic spec 4AGE and N2 TRD wide body kit etc.
Now in the process of updating the engine to TRD fuel injection!!
Youtube link http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asCvD21xCmg

Here's the basic spec as it was a few weeks ago before I started the fuel injection mods.
Powerplant -
4AGE Atlantic spec, TRD 42mm Carrillo rods, TRD 12:1 comp pistons, polished knife edged crank, TRD oil-pump gears, ARP bolts, ground out block, bored with torque plate, custom wet sump with gates, TRD 0.80mm Head gasket, TRD Big valve head, TRD shim under conversion, TRD 11mm lift cams, Jimtune type adjustable cam sprockets, Brellium copper valve seats, 5 angle seats, flowed ports, remote mount oil filter, Mocal oil cooler, braded lines, 30psi oil pressure switch, custom engine mounts to lower engine, 48mm dellorto carbs with alloy ram tubes, redline fuel pressure adjuster, Griffin alloy radiator, custom Dizzy and Ignitor system, 12mm Plug leads.

Gearbox -
Quaiffe close ratio, 5speed, dog-engagement box, with gear selector switches, 1st and reverse lockout, short shift kit, AP racing 2 plate clutch, 4340 steel flywheel 3.2kg. 1G reduction starter.

Rear Suspension -
Fully rose jointed, adjustable Equal length 4 link with Anti squat, Watt's linkage, Custom adjustable rear sway bar, Proma star 8 way shocks with eibach springs , shortened Toyota corona diff housing, 2 way TRD LSD, TRD 4:6 ratio C&P, AE86 disk brake set-up with carbon metallic pads, Wheelbase lengthened 50mm at rear, Braded brake lines.

Front Suspension -
Fully rose jointed, strengthened, shortened struts with custom Bilstein shocks, wilwood 4 piston callipers, carbon metallic pads, custom TRD type adjustable bottom arms, 19mm TRD adjustable sway bar, adjustable castor arms, alloy correction blocks, 2.5 turn Quaiffe quick-rack, adjustable steering arms for bump steer, 2.5" 450Lbs springs on adjustable platforms, T3 rose jointed top mounts with camber correction, 3 way strut brace, Braded brake lines, Wheelbase lengthened 30mm at front.

Rolling Stock -
Custom made 15" X 8" F15 Simmons 3piece wheels, Kumho race tyres, and Toyo RA1s.
Or Haliday Racing 15" x 8.5" 3 piece wheels with Dunlop slicks

Interior -
Sparco Pro seat with lateral brace, Willan 6-point 3" camlock harness, Momo Corse 320mm steering wheel, lengthened steering shaft with quick release hub, Icom pit to car radio, Plumped in fire extinguisher system with 3 nozzles and 2 pull cables, electrical system with circuit breakers, Launch control and full throttle gearshift, Revlimiter, air/fuel meter, gear indicator, Tilton adjuster for peddle box, custom battery mount, Defi gauges with controller in a carbon dash panel.

Exterior -
Fully stripped, seam welded in 312Hi Tensile Stainless steel, 12 point roll cage welded into car and on suspension pick up points, lightened rear hatch, lightened doors, lightened shell, fibreglass TRD N2 Type guards and front spoiler, fibreglass bonnet, jimtune Carbon rear wing, polycarbonate 3mm windows, 80lt plastic fuel cell with 2 pickups, 3 hi-volume fuel pumps operating 2 systems, 2lt fuel swirl pot.

dr1ft-pig
4th April 2010, 12:10 AM
this thing is nuts!! love it man... good to see a few KP's popping up around here!!

wntdae86
4th April 2010, 12:16 AM
that one very sxcy 4age

R&D Mechanical
4th April 2010, 02:32 AM
Goof proper build! very nice sounds good love the 'leading wet race' getting abit side ways haha skylines are shit too :P

Todd
4th April 2010, 03:51 AM
holy moley.
one serious little starlet.

keeping the NA dream alive! i like this alot.

shift_rook
4th April 2010, 11:25 AM
no matter what words i put into this post i won't be able to describe awesomeness, so i'll leave with this,,,, WOW!

jimtune
5th April 2010, 10:27 PM
Thanks for the kind comments!

Over the past few weeks I have been fitting the new TRD throttle bodies, fuel pumps and new fuel lines etc.
Just have to sort what ECU I plan to use any one got experience with Haltech?

Cheers
Jamie

focus_7
6th April 2010, 03:35 PM
only in NZ.

Andy San
6th April 2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the kind comments!

Over the past few weeks I have been fitting the new TRD throttle bodies, fuel pumps and new fuel lines etc.
Just have to sort what ECU I plan to use any one got experience with Haltech?

Cheers
Jamie

i have a haltech e8 on my racecar and i find it to be reasonably good, but it gets a bit of signal interference at idle with the factory reluctor type sensors. what sort of power does your motor make?

Justin Holden
6th April 2010, 09:57 PM
If your in New Zealand get a Link G4 they are a awesome ECU and you have the knowledge that you have great support in Christchurch.

joeschmo_57
7th April 2010, 03:20 PM
this is one big massive shake and bake.

jimtune
8th April 2010, 09:37 PM
Yeah thought about a link as Im in the south island, but think I will go with the new Haltech PS2000 as the specs seem close to a Motec.
Problem is there are no Haltech tuners down my way.

Cheers

Mr Awsome
10th April 2010, 12:29 AM
this is what happens when you own a car over a 12yr period, they become awsome!

MINIHORSE
10th April 2010, 02:52 AM
Amateur Build :)

86JAP
25th April 2010, 06:23 PM
Very cool man!

What sort of power is your 4A putting down?

jimtune
26th April 2010, 11:20 AM
At the moment it makes around 215hp on the engine dyno, I'm hoping for a little more with the fuel injection.
When we ran the power runs on the dyno we had it singing at 10,005 RPM lol but makes best power about 9,300RPM.

jimtune
30th April 2010, 10:53 PM
Been getting the gearbox and clutch sorted out to be put back in.
Now going to use a 5.5inch Tilton twin plate on a custom flywheel, with a tilton through out bearing. have uploaded some pics of the quaife gearbox as well.

Have also modified some new cam covers too add new breathers and a cam sync sensor.

shift_rook
30th April 2010, 11:44 PM
QUAIFE BOX>@ looks so good man, some serious pro parts there, love it

anastasios
1st May 2010, 12:48 PM
so is that a quaife gear set in a t50?

takai
1st May 2010, 01:05 PM
Yeah, thats their Quaife straight cut non dog engagement (i think i can see the spider gears there) gearset.
They make a helical cut as well, and dog and non dog engagemnt gearsets.

R&D Mechanical
1st May 2010, 01:14 PM
shit how much would that gearset cost!

4agte70
1st May 2010, 11:23 PM
more then our cars Davey haha

ke70dave
2nd May 2010, 01:23 PM
epic car mate

dunno why i havent seent this thread before...

just a quick Q, you seem to have very long intake runners. how did you come up with the length for them?

i have seen a few papers writtin on the topic, with the resonance taken into account etc.

but be interseted how it works in real life..

jimtune
2nd May 2010, 04:23 PM
Yeah its a Quaife straight cut gear kit, the kit replaces every thing in the case, shafts, gears, shift shafts, one bronze shift fork, that I have replaced with a new steel one I made. And it is a dog engagement box It runs in a modified T50 casing, as the gear shift has a dog leg first gear so the shift shafts are different to standard ones, also the case is modified to fit the front shift fork. If you can see the welded alloy block in the shift rail closest to the split in the case.

The cost of one of these new would set you back about 8k AUD
Quaife gear weight box 29Kg
Ratios

1. 2.347
2. 1.733
3. 1.379
4. 1.144
5. 1.0
R. 3.48

jimtune
2nd May 2010, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the comments, the old intake length was set on the dyno, I havent run the engine with the injection setup yet, but last time we had a set of intake trumpets that had adjustable rings so we could change the intake length by 5mm at a time to see what changes it made through the rev range.
A Dyno is the only way to find out really, but there are lots of theories on how to make this work.
Also something else I have tried is anti-reversion rings in my headers for the exhaust gas pulses.

ke70dave
2nd May 2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks for the comments, the old intake length was set on the dyno, I havent run the engine with the injection setup yet, but last time we had a set of intake trumpets that had adjustable rings so we could change the intake length by 5mm at a time to see what changes it made through the rev range.
A Dyno is the only way to find out really, but there are lots of theories on how to make this work.
Also something else I have tried is anti-reversion rings in my headers for the exhaust gas pulses.

ah cool mate,

yer dyno would be the way to go.

you seen the motorbike (R1?) that has the continusouly variable intake lengths? i think bmw or something use them as well. that would be pretty sweet i reckon, would be hard to make it reliable though, especially in a retrofit job.

the anti reversion things are interesting, never heard of them before untill now. after a quick google, it seems they are big in the carburetta scene? cant seem to find much on them being used in the exhaust though, but it makes sense

shinobi
5th May 2010, 01:16 AM
Fuck this is the shit!! wish there were some of these floating around Oz, would totally have one!!

jimtune
5th May 2010, 08:51 PM
Cheers It would be a starlet or a AE86 for me as a race car! I picked the starlet because it's lighter. Have driven some AE86 cars including a ex Toyota NZ group A car it was very cool!
That was the car that my gearbox came from.
Here are some more photos of my car.

jimtune
14th July 2010, 08:11 PM
Well been a busy few weeks, have rebuilt the engine fitted all new sensors for the Haltech ECU, new 5.5inch Tilton clutch, Tilton release bearing and rebuilt gear box etc. Now running the wiring and fitting all the bits for the new IQ3 dash.
Should be interesting when it's running again, also we are no longer allowed to run avgas in our class so will be switching to E85 fuel.

see the pics of what I have been up too.

cheers
Jamie

keiichi
14th July 2010, 09:20 PM
your race car is too clean!
very nice build

jimtune
15th July 2010, 09:27 PM
hahaha true hasnt been used in a while!
thanks

--Redwork--
15th July 2010, 11:03 PM
E85.... you Need more compression :)
Car is mental... super super cool...
Would be an absolute blast to thrash around the track..
When I was testing runner lengths I ran out of room in my engine bay LOL... Long runners are the shit.. Short ones failed HARD on my engine... made like 1 HP difference between the shortest runner I had and NONE at all..

I made 8 Extra HP from runner tuning and 7 from adjusting the cam timing.. Doesn't seem like much but when that takes you from 110atw to 125 its a sizable difference. Over 10% increase..

Just worked it out 14%.. there abouts.

stouty
16th July 2010, 02:37 PM
Awsome car want more pics and full specs wish could get these in Aus

taz_rx
22nd July 2010, 01:12 PM
epic car mate

dunno why i havent seent this thread before...

just a quick Q, you seem to have very long intake runners. how did you come up with the length for them?

i have seen a few papers writtin on the topic, with the resonance taken into account etc.

but be interseted how it works in real life..

He didn't..... TRD did!!!
Have a look at the casting on the top of the manifold. ;)

jimtune
28th July 2010, 08:04 PM
He didn't..... TRD did!!!
Have a look at the casting on the top of the manifold. ;)

Yeah havent run this set up yet so dont know how it will go, I had a play with my old Dellorto carb set up with intake lengths, also cam timing to see what changes it would make. I know a length where the engine made best power on the carbs but need to do the same with the injection when its running, may also fit it with an airbox to see if that helps too...

bui_ke70
28th July 2010, 09:33 PM
jimtune,
what clutch/flywheel did you use? it looks like the flexplate is sandwiched between the flywheel and the crank.

jimtune
28th July 2010, 09:44 PM
So pics of the engine, some of these are older ones. now its set up with TRD fuel injection.

jimtune
1st August 2010, 10:45 PM
jimtune,
what clutch/flywheel did you use? it looks like the flexplate is sandwiched between the flywheel and the crank.

I made the flywheel for it from 4340 steel, the flexplate is has a spigot that mates up to the back of the flywheel and you are correct it does sandwich between the flywheel and crank.
The clutch is a 2 plate 5.5inch Tilton.
My car used to run a 2 plate AP Racing 7 1/4inch clutch and flywheel. its for sale if your interested?
Cheers

DX20VT
1st August 2010, 10:56 PM
So what class do you race your car in, and what else do you race against?

jimtune
5th August 2010, 01:28 PM
I used to run in a class call "sports saloons" in the south island but now mostly run in club events against all sorts from Evos, old touring cars to Spaceframed V8 things.
The car is still the fastest 1300-1600cc club car around Teretonga.
Cheers

Oly AE86
6th August 2010, 10:04 PM
Awesome car mate!!!! Sometimes I wish I still lived in Dunners :(

dunny
14th August 2010, 06:43 PM
Nice one Jamie, always love looking at pics of your car, will be good to see it on the track again...perhaps a trip up to Ruapuna will be in order

Victim
24th August 2010, 02:33 AM
holy. fucking. shit.
I have a crush on anything KP61 related.
This thing is nuts. Would be fucking awesome to take for a burl.

I second the sentiment that I Really wish we had these here.
I'd assume they'd be so chuckable they'd be scary. Scary = good.
I even thought about importing one from NZ, but all the paperwork scared me.

p.s. Jimtune, I would gladly bed that 4AGE any night of the week.

jimtune
6th October 2010, 08:13 PM
Well almost ready to fire it up again! have got up oil pressure up, and almost sorted out the IQ3 dash and ECU, just have to tidy up a bit of wiring and do a sensor check, then off to get it tuned yehaa.
Will post pics soon

Jamie

DX20VT
7th October 2010, 09:17 PM
Well almost ready to fire it up again! have got up oil pressure up, and almost sorted out the IQ3 dash and ECU, just have to tidy up a bit of wiring and do a sensor check, then off to get it tuned yehaa.
Will post pics soon

Jamie

Cool
Then maybe you could enter the Teretonga rounds of Sport Saloons in November and December.
There is a few non turbo cars entered this year.

jimtune
23rd November 2010, 09:43 PM
Cool
Then maybe you could enter the Teretonga rounds of Sport Saloons in November and December.
There is a few non turbo cars entered this year.

If only I could get the thing running! having issues with trigger/home sensors engine fires but pops and bangs then stops.
It's bloody close!
Plan to run some where in December hows the quick DX going? I sold my turbo 4age bottom end and spares some time ago, tell me is that dick head Stowells still running sports saloons?

DX20VT
23rd November 2010, 10:00 PM
If only I could get the thing running! having issues with trigger/home sensors engine fires but pops and bangs then stops.
It's bloody close!
Plan to run some where in December hows the quick DX going? I sold my turbo 4age bottom end and spares some time ago, tell me is that dick head Stowells still running sports saloons?

Hope to run the DX in December at Teretonga. Have been unable to enter the first 2 rounds so looking forward to it.
Hope you get your car all sorted.

Stowell has nothing to do with Sport Saloons now. Some people got sick of the way things were done by them,
and when I questioned it they packed up and left.
I am actually running the class this year, and he has not entered.

jimtune
24th November 2010, 04:27 PM
That sounds good your running the class now my brother and I may join up again, we are almost finished building his datsun 1200 coupe with a 1UZ-FE V8.
I thought that class should have been so much more but myself and many others thought Stowell stuffed it making the rules suit him so he could win.
I would be interested to run a class similar to the north island guys with that All Classic Japanese Series maybe with some tweeks?

Good luck down south

jimtune
2nd December 2010, 10:14 PM
Well its Running and now just need to be tuned and a few things tidied up like the wiring etc, thanks to the Guys at Haltech!!

Check out my youtube "jimtune311"

Cheers

n2866
15th December 2010, 08:52 PM
FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!

where did you get those parts?

Jdm-Mcc
15th December 2010, 09:38 PM
Fucccccccccccccccccccck if aus got kp61's delivered Id be all over that shit none of this ke70 business!

Jdm-Mcc
15th December 2010, 09:41 PM
Sweet jesus! Just watched the video and all I can say is.... Go kart handiling, obtained.

dunny
11th January 2011, 07:49 PM
That sounds good your running the class now my brother and I may join up again, we are almost finished building his datsun 1200 coupe with a 1UZ-FE V8.
I thought that class should have been so much more but myself and many others thought Stowell stuffed it making the rules suit him so he could win.
I would be interested to run a class similar to the north island guys with that All Classic Japanese Series maybe with some tweeks?

Good luck down south

Agree Jamie, I'd like to run in a similar class 'all jap series' or something like that. Will be good see the datto out on the track too!