PDA

View Full Version : DSLR Shopping / Discussion thread...

Nicko
6th April 2010, 11:07 PM
So I went and fogged up the glass at a few camera stores today.

Sadly, I did not win the lotto on Saturday.

And I did not come home with the EOS 5D MKII. Didn't come home with anything... bah.

It did make me feel a little happy in the pants though.

Seriously though, WTF am I supposed to do with 21MP?

IMHO, HD Video on a DSLR is a load of wank and then I found this, holyfuckingshithouzen.

http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/images/1canon5dmkiivideo.jpg

My dream kit right now would be :

EOS 5D Mk II Body
BG-E6 battery Grip
Decent Tripod
Wireless Remote Shutter
UV / Polarising / Colour Filters
Sandisk Extreme IV 32GB x 2

Lenses
EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM
EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro
EF 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye
EF 85mm f1.2L USM Mark II

One day...

svenmate
6th April 2010, 11:26 PM
Sounds like a good setup!!

Had a play with a EF 24mm f/1.4L on an EOS 50D not so long ago. Amazing apature speed! Would love to own one.

My dream body would be 5D or 7D. filters and lenses are limitless :)

Todd
6th April 2010, 11:34 PM
duno about you guys, but this would be my dream body:

http://www.geeky-gadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/hasselblad-h4d_1.jpg
http://whyswords.files.wordpress.com/2009/09/hasselblad-h4d_2.jpg

ae86
7th April 2010, 10:21 AM
this is the package im thinking of getting to have an attemp to learn photography

Nikon D90 Digital SLR Camera Body
Nikon 18-55mm Vibration Reduction VR Nikkor Lens
Nikon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 AF Zoom - Nikkor Lens
500mm f/8.0 Reflex Mirror Lens for SLR and Digital SLR Cameras (free with package
650-1300mm f/8.0-16.0 Long Range Lens (free with package)
Nikon 50mm Lens
TTL Flash for Nikon
52mm 2X Telephoto Autofocus Lens
52mm Wide Angle Autofocus Lens
1 photo/video tripod

Jacobxxx
7th April 2010, 04:34 PM
i vote Nikon over Canon

stouty
8th April 2010, 11:37 AM
What can you guys suggest for staring out camera with 1000 budget??? Basically looking for a camera for when i go to the track to take shots of cars when im not driving.

Nicko
8th April 2010, 12:08 PM
I was in JB hifi and they had the Canon EOS 1000D twin lens kit for like $859

If you're at the track, you'll definitely need a zoom lens as the average 18-55mm lens will limit you a lot.

Twin lens kits generally have an 18-55ish and a 75-300 zoom.

I would only reccomend a DSLR if you are fairly technically minded, or if you have outgrown the manual mode on your compact :)

stouty
8th April 2010, 12:18 PM
Just checked online then looks like a good buy.

ae86
8th April 2010, 12:25 PM
yeah 450d/1000d would be good in that price range, look round on ebay too! so many good deals

Nicko
8th April 2010, 12:31 PM
I would be a fair bit wary around ebay. You don't know what condition lenses and sensors and bodies are in.

New items, different story.

I just sold my 400D on ebay, after two non-paying-bidders and about a gazillion questions, I sold it to someone who wanted it as a 2nd body for their kit.

Nicko
8th April 2010, 12:37 PM
Also, I was contemplating moving over to Nikon, but now that I'm used to the Canon DSLR and how they work, I'm going to stick with them.

Nikon / Canon / Sony debate is a bit like Holden / Ford / Subaru.

I like the range of lenses that you can get for the Canons, there always seems to be more on display in the camera stores for Canon over Nikon.

Robo86
8th April 2010, 02:14 PM
add a 50mm 1.2 to ur list nicko :P

Nicko
8th April 2010, 02:18 PM
Already have the 85 1.2

Wouldn't do a whole lot of portrait anyway

ae86
8th April 2010, 05:11 PM
ebay do have stores that sell brand new...

Jake
9th April 2010, 01:58 AM
brought a 500d off ebay for 840 brand new good deal. need more zoom now though.

stouty
12th April 2010, 11:24 AM
I am wondering what the difference between IS and non IS lenses are? Is it internal stability or something to help with anti shake????????????

There is a 1000d with non IS lenses twin lense kit that i can get from my uncle for $750 through his retravision store, but im stil not sure about the 1000d would be good to have video might have to look into 450d?

Nicko
12th April 2010, 11:25 AM
IS is image stabilised.

stouty
12th April 2010, 11:26 AM
Is it really worth having as in does it make a huge difference?

Nicko
12th April 2010, 11:28 AM
I reckon that video is a fucking crock of shit on DSLRs. Its only the crybaby compact users who made the manufacturers involve such an un-necessary function on high end cameras.

At the end of the day, the difference between the 1000D and 450D is 2.1 megapixels, 14 bit colour depth and a bigger LCD screen. The spot metering on the 450D is a great feature though...

Nicko
12th April 2010, 11:30 AM
Is it really worth having as in does it make a huge difference?

http://photo.net/equipment/canon/is_lenses/

http://www.canon.com/bctv/faq/optis.html

Worth a read...

And if you're using the 300mm lens from the twin lens kit, I would probably be inclined to go for the IS version...

stouty
12th April 2010, 12:25 PM
Sweet thanks for that im new to this so appreciate the help

Todd
12th April 2010, 05:14 PM
for lens info stouty, check out this thread: http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12529-buying-a-lens-es
wrote all that when there was questions being asked by some other people. hope it helps.

Jake
12th April 2010, 11:44 PM
harvey norman had 1000d twin is recently for 800 so dont pay more than that for a 1000d

Nicko
12th April 2010, 11:49 PM
* unless it has the IS lenses...

Thats a pretty awesome price.

After looking at the specs, the minimum I would consider (personally) would be a 450D with IS.

Todd
13th April 2010, 12:33 AM
After looking at the specs, the minimum I would consider (personally) would be a 450D with IS.
i can vouch for the 450d nick, i used one for about a year and a half and it never let me down. capable of really nice pictures too. unfortunately i couldnt take advantage of it properly due to only having the stock 18-55 lens. sold on ebay at a decent price to a guy in qld and was destined to become his 'backup body'.

stouty
14th April 2010, 02:04 PM
Yeh can get get 1000d pretty cheap around the $800 mark but that is without IS lensewith IS lens around $1000 I think i will look at the 450d as it has video.
Harvey Norman has twin lens kit 450d 15-55 55-250 for around $1200 can get it alot cheaper online but that is out of hong kong and im a bit worried about warranty.

Im not sure if a 75-300 lens would be better then the 55-250 what can people suggest? It seems most of the twin lens kits with IS are 55-250. Im looking at using it for mainly motorsport shots.

Nicko
14th April 2010, 02:13 PM
The standard 75-300 lenses aren't that great because they are usually only F/4 - F/5.6 etc means they are slower and crappy. OK for the one off telephoto, but not good for fast pace action.

Thats why everyone goes ape-shit over the 70-200 f/2.8, because it is one of the best midrange telephoto lenses on the market.

I reckon if I were starting out, I would buy a single (close range) lense 450D with IS and save up all my rubles for one of the shit hot EFS 70-200 f/2.8 suckers :)

stouty
14th April 2010, 02:41 PM
Sounds like the go my uncle owns a retarvision so im going to speak to him soon about a price i might go with the twin kit if it is cheap enough.
Looked at the lens you are speaking of on ebay canon one $2200 Sigma one $1200 maybe christmas time.

Nicko
14th April 2010, 02:55 PM
Everyone i've known with Sigma Lenses sold them, and got the real deal eventually... Must be something in it.

I would spend the extra $1000 myself. But I would go into a decent photography store and haggle them down until they sold it for around the $1800 mark

Local canon dealer up here has the 450D Twin lens IS kit for $1100 ex GST and the 1000D Twin lens IS kit for $875 ex GST
(these are at the wholesale price, not RRP)

stouty
14th April 2010, 03:03 PM
Yeh pretty much comes done to you get what u pay for hey.

Just spoke to my uncle $1050 for twin IS lens kit 450D think ill do it.

Nicko
14th April 2010, 03:26 PM
Fuck, not bad.

Wish I had a spare 1K laying around...

ae86
14th April 2010, 05:02 PM
http://www.jbhifi.com.au/photo/digital-cameras/nikon/12-3mp-digital-slr-twin-vr-lens-kit-sku-24389/

stouty
15th April 2010, 09:52 AM
Fuck, not bad.

Wish I had a spare 1K laying around...

Yeh so do i ill probally lay by it or he said just come get it and pay me when you have money but i feel bad doing that lol

Do the nikons have the image stabilizer in the camera or the lens?

Todd
15th April 2010, 12:59 PM
Yeh so do i ill probally lay by it or he said just come get it and pay me when you have money but i feel bad doing that lol

Do the nikons have the image stabilizer in the camera or the lens?

their comparitive system is called VR or vibration reduction. :)

stouty
15th April 2010, 01:37 PM
I was wondering if thats what the VR in the lens had to do with.

So many choices final descion Canon 450D or nikon D5000??????

Can you take video with 450D i got told you can? Cant find that they do through online searching?

Peoples views on both which to get i cant decide?????????

ae86
15th April 2010, 01:50 PM
afaik recording wasnt made for 450d but 500d is few more mp and has hd recording im fairly sure

Nicko
15th April 2010, 03:05 PM
I was wondering if thats what the VR in the lens had to do with.

So many choices final descion Canon 450D or nikon D5000??????

Can you take video with 450D i got told you can? Cant find that they do through online searching?

Peoples views on both which to get i cant decide?????????

Don't buy a DSLR based on if it has video recording or not.

Real SLR buffs will laugh at the stupidity of having video on a DSLR

Nikon vs Canon is like Ford vs Holden

In then end, you'll pick one and love it for a long time.

stouty
15th April 2010, 03:14 PM
Its not a huge issue just be good to have the option of video. Ill go with which ever is cheaper i think that will make my mind up for me.

Again thanks for all the help ill let you know which way i went soon.

*bj*
15th April 2010, 03:29 PM
Don't buy a DSLR based on if it has video recording or not.

Real SLR buffs will laugh at the stupidity of having video on a DSLR

For guys new to photography, I disagree. I've been in plenty of situations where I had only my SLR and saw something worth filming - I was able to and in great quality.

Also allows newbies to experiment and dabble in filmography without any extra outlay, plus some lenses can give really great effects in motion picture.

They are filming upcoming house episodes completely with a 5d:

http://www.cnet.com.au/house-season-finale-shot-on-canon-5d-mark-ii-339302341.htm

gives it some credit.

Nicko
15th April 2010, 03:34 PM
The EOS 5D MKII is my next Camera that I will be buying

But I will not be buying it for the video

the 5D is different to the others anyway, being native HD.

I've been into video for longer than i've been into photography, and I just consider the use of a DSLR as a video camera a bit of a wank.

When i'm out shooting, i'll generally take a compact digital with me anyway, or at least my Sony digital video cam anyway.

Just my opinion.

Todd
15th April 2010, 09:20 PM
I've been into video for longer than i've been into photography, and I just consider the use of a DSLR as a video camera a bit of a wank.

+1

IMO the Nikon consumer dslr range is better than the Canon consumer dslr range.
My opinion changes once you reach into the 'Professional' range though. Canon wins hands down.
However due to not having 10k to flog on a body, I stepped up from the 450d (the older model) Canon to the Nikon D400 and have not looked back.
Will only ever get back into Canon if I am looking to purchase something in the Professional range.

stouty
16th April 2010, 12:14 PM
How much is a nikon D400 i cant find them anywhere i can get canon 500D for $1190 im going with one of those unless someone has any bad points on them?????

MkII
18th April 2010, 12:55 AM
How much is a nikon D400 i cant find them anywhere i can get canon 500D for $1190 im going with one of those unless someone has any bad points on them?????

The D400 hasn't been released yet? The latest model in that series is the D300s, I dont know when the release of the 400 will be, but there are rumours around atm. If you can get the 500D for that price then that is a good buy, is that for body only? It is a good amateur camera and I am sure that you will be happy with it and it will allow for progression as you get more skilled in photography. The 450D does not do video btw.

Todd
18th April 2010, 02:04 AM
The D400 hasn't been released yet? The latest model in that series is the D300s, I dont know when the release of the 400 will be, but there are rumours around atm. If you can get the 500D for that price then that is a good buy, is that for body only? It is a good amateur camera and I am sure that you will be happy with it and it will allow for progression as you get more skilled in photography. The 450D does not do video btw.
woah okay i totally meant to write d200, not d400 hahaha.
gotta get my mind out of the canon gutter :P

*slaps face*

stouty
19th April 2010, 09:26 AM

The 500D is with twin IS lens kit 15-55mm 55-250mm

Thanks for all the info guys has made chosen one alot easier

ae86
23rd May 2010, 11:06 PM
just paid $1167 for canon 550d tkis, will be purchasing a 50mm f1.8 as soon as it arrives, will let you guys know how it goes il chuck photos up as soon as i get something i think is decent from my behalf ! lol im sure wont compare to any of yous though.

Nicko
23rd May 2010, 11:15 PM
Nice purchase :)

Since i'm headed back to work, I was entertaining the idea of a Canon EOS 5D Mk II with a F2.8 70-200 IS :)

After seeing the season finale of house totally filmed using the 5D Mk II's I have changed my tune on HD Video on DSLR's... I like, very much!

I have decided to go the whole hog, i've done my time on entry level, time for some pro gear next!

KurtHS
24th May 2010, 12:07 PM

I disagree, I know of one guy who is making amazing downhill MTB video's using only a DSLR, pretty sure it's a 5D. I'd say he's making some of the best amateur video's in Australia, of that subject of course.

Shiiiiittt you agree anyway, just saw that.

Nicko
24th May 2010, 12:10 PM
:P

Yes, I have changed my tune, but only on High Def Video. (aka 5D MkII) the rest, sonys and lower model nikon / canon can all go to hell :)

Todd
25th May 2010, 03:53 PM
hey nick how much do 5d mkII retail for?
thats the camera that would make me swap back to canon.

the idea of HD video reallly appeals to me.

Nicko
25th May 2010, 04:03 PM
Got offered a 5D MkII body only for $3,000 the other day.

Now that i'm headed back to work, it is very tempting!

Its easier to spend $2000 on a decent 70-200mm F2.8 when your camera body is worth more than the lens :P

Jake
26th May 2010, 08:30 PM
Got offered a 5D MkII body only for $3,000 the other day.

Now that i'm headed back to work, it is very tempting!

Its easier to spend $2000 on a decent 70-200mm F2.8 when your camera body is worth more than the lens :P

this statement is too true

Nicko
26th May 2010, 11:41 PM
The million dollar question, is what camera do you buy as a backup / second body for all your other lenses after you've thrown the best part of $7k down on a Pro Body & Zoom lens?

Brass Munky
27th May 2010, 01:49 AM
7d ;)

WAcky
27th May 2010, 11:43 AM
me wanteeee for tuff car shots
http://www.vanbar.com.au/catalogue/product.php?id=67071

Nicko
27th May 2010, 11:49 AM
Very nice!

n00bvak
30th May 2010, 05:09 PM
Missus was looking at cameras, working for herself as a fashion photographer for over a year and needed to upgrade desperately from her d70s (6mp ftl).
Tested both the 7d and d300s. d300s was way better, nice clear images, controls where you'd expect them to be, not too heavy and it fitted her old lens' which was awesome. it also takes compact flash and sd cards simultaneously. And something I like, a software spirit level when in live view, so handy, for me anyway. Not to mention it was cheaper than the 7d. And she loves it, it making her life so much easier coz the shots are way better off the camera now rather than making it good in photoshop.

5dII would be awesome nick but why? do you really need it? Maybe get something thats not quite as expensive with the same lens mount as the 5d and get awesome lens' instead of going all out straight away. You might actually find that it suits your needs a little better and keep the money you save for other more important stuff... like hookers.

Nicko
30th May 2010, 06:15 PM
I've been shooting with DSLR's for 5 years now...

So I wouldn't consider it going "all out straight away".

I'm sick of low end stuff. I've made up my mind and the 5D MkII is my next camera :)

Brass Munky
1st June 2010, 02:25 AM
Missus was looking at cameras, working for herself as a fashion photographer for over a year and needed to upgrade desperately from her d70s (6mp ftl).
Tested both the 7d and d300s. d300s was way better, nice clear images, controls where you'd expect them to be, not too heavy and it fitted her old lens' which was awesome. it also takes compact flash and sd cards simultaneously. And something I like, a software spirit level when in live view, so handy, for me anyway. Not to mention it was cheaper than the 7d. And she loves it, it making her life so much easier coz the shots are way better off the camera now rather than making it good in photoshop.

5dII would be awesome nick but why? do you really need it? Maybe get something thats not quite as expensive with the same lens mount as the 5d and get awesome lens' instead of going all out straight away. You might actually find that it suits your needs a little better and keep the money you save for other more important stuff... like hookers.

As a fashion photographer wouldn't she have been better off with a d700? In regards to the 7d/d300s comaprison, the controls are only in the place you expect them to be because the user is used to the Nikon setup. I cant use a Nikon to save my life without some coaching, but you can switch all the dials around on Nikon to the same way Canon work... The 7d has the spirit level when in live view, but its a gimmick on any camera. The dual cards is something that i find interesting, although, have never found the need for. And in Fashion Photography, i cant see a photographer filling cards at an alarming rate to really require dual cards. What glass is she using to declare that the images from the d300s are so much better than the 7d? Throw some good glass on a 7d and you will be surprised ;)

All Canon cameras have the same lens mount, from the 1000d to the 1d4, and the EOS film range as well ;) Its only EF-s lenses that wont fit, and they arnt a large part of their range anyway.

letsgohunting
3rd June 2010, 05:46 PM
I reckon that video is a fucking crock of shit on DSLRs. Its only the crybaby compact users who made the manufacturers involve such an un-necessary function on high end cameras.

At the end of the day, the difference between the 1000D and 450D is 2.1 megapixels, 14 bit colour depth and a bigger LCD screen. The spot metering on the 450D is a great feature though...

Watch the final episode of the Tv show "House" for this season. It was filmed nearly entirely on a 5d mkII.

Edit: just saw that you did in fact see that episode! Sorry dude, should have read forward. The quality of the video + access to incredibly cheap and high quality primes means a lot of top video guys say the 5dmkii is the best quality output vid camera under 50k

Nicko
3rd June 2010, 06:00 PM
Yeppers :)

Its on my wish list!

letsgohunting
3rd June 2010, 06:19 PM
I love my 5d - such a workhorse. Full frame sensors compared to aps-c sensors is like comparing a 4ac to a 4age. When it comes to digital, full frame is sex.

n00bvak
15th June 2010, 01:54 AM
Brass monkey. Cost being a major factor here for deciding the d300 over d700 for such a small improvement for her need at the moment. Cost not only for the body but due to needing new glass and to fit full frame.

When we tested the 7d it was using a twin lens kit lens, dont know what from, but the d300 just seemed better. Plus the reviews on dpreview were sort of a nail in the coffin, iso wins over video any day.

And I can tell you, shooting in raw for a shoot with 5 models with 8 outfit changes each plus several different locations these easily fills up cards. Plus she can use her old cf cards while being able to use sd cards which are general cheaper and seem to be becoming a pseudo standard.

Nick, fair enough. when a mans mind is made up there's nothing that will stop it.. well everything but poon i guess :P

-elliot-
15th August 2010, 11:27 PM
I disagree, I know of one guy who is making amazing downhill MTB video's using only a DSLR, pretty sure it's a 5D. I'd say he's making some of the best amateur video's in Australia, of that subject of course.

Shiiiiittt you agree anyway, just saw that.

i assume your talking about kane ?
yea he uses a 5d
having the HD filming on the new DSLR's is great in my opinion.

I know a few people filming with 5d's and they produce amazing quality, a mate of mine filmed this bmx video which has some pretty cool stuff in it.
Was all filmed with a Canon 5DMkII with 17mm-40mm, 85mm and 50mm Lenses.

http://vimeo.com/9121465

KurtHS
16th August 2010, 12:40 AM
Actually was talking about a dude named olly from Sydney, I think I might have seen 'a kane's' stuff though.

-elliot-
16th August 2010, 12:59 AM
oh ok, yea i know him
that vid i posted was done by oliver
he does some pretty amazing stuff

takai
16th August 2010, 11:33 PM
Are Kane and Olly using 5Ds these days? Any idea if they are using a roll zoom or just manual wristies :)

-elliot-
16th August 2010, 11:51 PM
i know olly is using a 5D and im not sure about kane, i know he is using a one of the new canon SLR's and it had HD film on it, could be a 50D or something.
Kane just uses manual and im not sure about olly, last time he was shooting with us he was just using manual.

Jman_KE70
1st December 2010, 07:06 PM
Hey guys i'm just after some advice on buying a new entry level DSLR, I've read that many different reviews its just made things more confusing. I'm looking at a pentax KX, nikon d3000 or a canon EOS 1000d, I just want something a bit better than my point and shoot to take pics at the track without spending massive amounts on gear. Any advice would be appreciated.

hachirusto
2nd December 2010, 12:13 PM
I just brought my 1st dslr and endup getting a 500d with 18-55 IS lens and tamron 55-200mm lens would recommend going above the 1000d if you can and stretch for a 450d or 500d , have alook at digital rev for some cheap grey import prices

Todd
2nd December 2010, 05:37 PM
in other news, im getting a d7000 in a week.

Matt
19th April 2013, 11:39 AM
Not surprising that what was once considered the ultimate camera 3 years ago, now is available for around $600 new. Anyone got any updated advice as to what camera to buy?

Nicko
19th April 2013, 11:53 AM
Not surprising that what was once considered the ultimate camera 3 years ago, now is available for around $600 new. Anyone got any updated advice as to what camera to buy?

Canon 5d MK III, accept no substitutes.

Or if you're one of those snotty Nikon brats who are all about 120mb raw files, get a D800.

After all these years, it's still all about the glass. After owning L series lenses and zeiss, I will never go back to plastic crap.

The 5D MKII (body) still goes for $1400 second hand, just sold mine.

mcBen
19th April 2013, 02:30 PM
If you want good video from a dslr for cheap check out a Panasonic GH1.. can be hacked for sweet results.

Nicko
19th April 2013, 02:33 PM
Panawho? :P

I don't count anything that isn't full frame as an SLR I would advise to buy.

Nicko
19th April 2013, 03:10 PM
Sigma however are #dominating

http://www.photographybay.com/2013/04/18/sigma-18-35mm-f1-8-dc-hsm-lens-confirmed-by-sigma/?awt_l=H3txY&awt_m=JlO_SnKuov62xu

mcBen
19th April 2013, 03:32 PM
mwahaha

http://jayshaffervideo.com/why-the-hacked-panasonic-gh1-is-a-better-video-camera-than-the-canon5dmk2/

Nicko
19th April 2013, 03:45 PM
Totally see what they are getting at, but in the last 10 years of owning SLR's i've taken maybe 5 minutes worth of Video

If you're a skate park film nut, go for it... lol

I just take pics

mcBen
19th April 2013, 03:59 PM
Haha yeah fair call. What do you shoot?

Skate parks ehhh, I want to get into docos like hot version international.. just need some Japanese drivers and an American voice over and I'm set

Nicko
19th April 2013, 04:09 PM
I shoot Landscapes (biggish multi stitch panoramas) and Portraits mainly.

As soon as I saw 60fps all I could imagine was some douche in a skatepark trying to make a Menikmati / CKY / Flip-Sorry so they could get some ultra cool slow-bro footage of a kickflip. lol

I thought that go-bro's were the be-all and end-all for drift doco footage?

lol

mcBen
19th April 2013, 11:08 PM
sounds like every skate video Ive ever seen..

I don't know, I think for on car shots they are the bees knees but Ive just used suction cap camera mounts before which worked pretty well.

Nicko
30th April 2013, 09:06 AM
http://blog.planet5d.com/2013/04/dxomark-discovers-canon-eos-5d-mark-iii-vs-nikon-d800-not-so-far-apart-after-all/

:)

Canon is a winrar. D800fags be hatin