PDA

View Full Version : FT86 now being aimed at old people??

dori_86
22nd April 2010, 11:08 AM
some new reports say that the new FT86 is now being aimed at an older audience (an added 10 years to target audience)

so what does this mean for the ft86?
refining the boxer to be more petrol efficient... less power?
is going to be more of a mid-life sports car?
and not something you could take to the track?

http://jalopnik.com/5521080/report-toyotas-turning-the-ft+86-into-the-solara

http://www.7tune.com/ft-86-price-and-range-out-of-control/

Rice86
22nd April 2010, 11:32 AM
good, 26k for a FT86, thats still a fair go, who cares if its aimed for an older crowd, why the heck did you get a ae86/ke70 in the first place, its a rusty almost 30year old car, normal person would of gotten a newer car but we are not normal lol

sun_moon
22nd April 2010, 12:04 PM
i cant wait for FT86 to be relased !! u know why ??

so i can drive my trueno and pull up at the lights next to a 34 year old blonde lady who "needs" a sports car, and she can laugh at the old piece of shit trueno.... then i can say, this is the predesessor to your car...

face it... most ft86s WILL be owned by hairdressers who want a sports car. they are gonna be "cool" to own like the mx5 fad when the new model came out.

Blizzerd
22nd April 2010, 12:49 PM
i dont care

i want one

redsprinter
22nd April 2010, 01:20 PM

so i can drive my trueno and pull up at the lights next to a 34 year old blonde lady who "needs" a sports car, and she can laugh at the old piece of shit trueno.... then i can say, this is the predesessor to your car...

face it... most ft86s WILL be owned by hairdressers who want a sports car. they are gonna be "cool" to own like the mx5 fad when the new model came out.

then she will blow you away at the lights and in the corners / while her aircon is up. =)

cant wait for it to be release .. do want

rthy
22nd April 2010, 02:07 PM

indeed
just like the ae86, in 20year times kids will be spendings months if not years trying to find a granny spec model that hasnt been raped to death

Nicko
22nd April 2010, 02:25 PM
I don't know about the lengevity of modern cars hey

Like, look at all the AE86's of today.

Do you really think that many (if any) FT86's will be left in 20 years time?

sun_moon
22nd April 2010, 03:08 PM
then she will blow you away at the lights and in the corners / while her aircon is up. =)

cant wait for it to be release .. do want

not quite sure... tuned smallport and 4.5:1 ratio should beat the heavy and slow new economy tuned boxer engine.

although ae86s dont handle overly well so im sure the new FT86 will corner a lot better tho.

Nicko
22nd April 2010, 03:30 PM
Tuned vs Stock?

I think these guys are arguing stock vs stock. Remembering that grandma's AE86 had a 4AC (we're not in Tokyo anymore, toto)

sun_moon
22nd April 2010, 04:12 PM
touche.

Frak
22nd April 2010, 07:18 PM
FYI, when the AE86 was first released in Australia back in 1983, it was actually very expensive compared to normal corollas, when I went looking for an AE86 back in 1994 every one I looked at was owned by an older person, after I got mine a few friends also bought AE86's, they all bought theirs off older people. I guess back in the mid 80's the only people that could afford them were 'middle aged'.

Anthony
22nd April 2010, 09:41 PM
exactly. and if the new ft86 has a one quarter of the "fad" appeal as the mx5 toyota will be very happy im sure.

wntdae86
22nd April 2010, 10:02 PM
i would have one if it is rwd even if the boxer is in it ....lots of mods to wrx right so why not this aswell

racsov
22nd April 2010, 10:11 PM
I don't know about the lengevity of modern cars hey

Like, look at all the AE86's of today.

Do you really think that many (if any) FT86's will be left in 20 years time?

bodyshells are far higher quality and have alot more rust prevention methods designed into them
engines and gearboxes are still reliable as always, its just small electrical or similar parts that fail. how hard is it to change a sencor though?

sun_moon
22nd April 2010, 10:20 PM
racsov... keep in mind we are now living in the "adults are dumber than ever generation".... an era where people sell there car cheap if it has a paint chip (rather than fix it), or sell the car off cheap rather than changing a sensor.

compared to our generation where kids buy project cars etc.

so i think the future kids bying FT86 may be diffferent. to us (in 20 years time)

daily_driven_death_sled
23rd April 2010, 04:10 PM
lol judging by the way things are going with p plate laws kids in 20 yrs will probably be midle aged before they can get their liscence

Juturna
23rd April 2010, 08:22 PM
as if they are going to aim it at young people with no money???

Todd
23rd April 2010, 08:51 PM
as if they are going to aim it at young people with no money???
hes right.

i would love to know the number of sub 30 year olds that buy brand new cars.
just doesn't happen enough to warrant a whole new platform.

ae86ln
24th April 2010, 12:12 AM
aleast if it is seen as a mid life crisis car the police might not hassle younger drivers who have one as much if they were marketed as a young persons car, also insurance would be cheaper.

TOY3TG
24th April 2010, 07:44 PM
they really stuffed up there using a subaru engine. or even teaming up with subaru their build quality is slowly deteriorating.

Pidgey
24th April 2010, 11:48 PM
^^ Whaaaat?
Whilst in my personal oppinion I think Subaru's are for 30 year old's that want to pick up 16 year olds, they are really not that bad of a car.
The boxter engine is actually pretty damn good for what it is. If it wasn't, wouldn't Subaru engineers change their design like 30 years ago?
They sound gayer than aids, but this can be fixed with offset extractors. And if 40 year old VW beetles can make 200rwhp reliably naturally aspirated using an outdated design, then a mildy tuned boxter would kick serious assss.
P.S have you been in/ driven a new Subaru? Build quality is excellent and they handle impeccably.
Link to 200rwhp bug:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXmpinytHxc

TOY3TG
25th April 2010, 02:29 PM
yeah i have. i worked at a subaru dealership for 6 years. my last day was friday. now i have a job at toyota. my last job was to fix a rattle on a brand new car all they do is rattle the interior quality wouldnt be any better than the latest hyundai's actually a hyundai would be better quality by now. iv had to pull full interiors out chasing rattles that are in the body not just in the plastics and this last one looked like it had been in a crash cos nothing lined up and it only had 2000ks on it and never been in a crash. and almost every forester built 2000 onwards needs headgaskets replaced cos they leak externally around the lower water gallerys. every new sohc impreza and forester needs about 10 different software downloads to recitfy all the software faults and lights that keep comming on, and to keep the engine from over reving between gearchanges and idling properly, they are a loud engine with horrible reasonating issues, lack power and jerk around all the time. subaru fit tiny batterys that go flat because the control moduels keep talking to eachother for 10minutes after you turn it off. they have just gone down hill in my opinion compared to the 90's. we just have so many complaints these days and its easy to see why. i dont like the boxer engine in stock form, yeah its a good engine if you pulled it down and built it for a race car or something old like a VW but in stock form they arent nice compared to something toyota can offer. why didnt they change their design? because thats what they are selling thats what they have put all their money into: AWD and boxer engines, they are selling to a certain people and people are buying them thats why they keep doing it doesnt mean they are the best car im forever hearing people saying i wish i had kept my old subaru this one is worse. and the new diesel is rank loud tractor slug and compared to other diesels out there is way behind and a H6 3.6 people are only getting 300ks to a tank out of their new tribecas thats just crap for a new car.

wntdae86
25th April 2010, 06:50 PM
lol judging by the way things are going with p plate laws kids in 20 yrs will probably be midle aged before they can get their liscence

right on the money .....also kids will be drivin a box with wheels and have to use leg power as a motor

Pidgey
25th April 2010, 11:46 PM
yeah i have. i worked at a subaru dealership for 6 years. my last day was friday. now i have a job at toyota. my last job was to fix a rattle on a brand new car all they do is rattle the interior quality wouldnt be any better than the latest hyundai's actually a hyundai would be better quality by now. iv had to pull full interiors out chasing rattles that are in the body not just in the plastics and this last one looked like it had been in a crash cos nothing lined up and it only had 2000ks on it and never been in a crash. and almost every forester built 2000 onwards needs headgaskets replaced cos they leak externally around the lower water gallerys. every new sohc impreza and forester needs about 10 different software downloads to recitfy all the software faults and lights that keep comming on, and to keep the engine from over reving between gearchanges and idling properly, they are a loud engine with horrible reasonating issues, lack power and jerk around all the time. subaru fit tiny batterys that go flat because the control moduels keep talking to eachother for 10minutes after you turn it off. they have just gone down hill in my opinion compared to the 90's. we just have so many complaints these days and its easy to see why. i dont like the boxer engine in stock form, yeah its a good engine if you pulled it down and built it for a race car or something old like a VW but in stock form they arent nice compared to something toyota can offer. why didnt they change their design? because thats what they are selling thats what they have put all their money into: AWD and boxer engines, they are selling to a certain people and people are buying them thats why they keep doing it doesnt mean they are the best car im forever hearing people saying i wish i had kept my old subaru this one is worse. and the new diesel is rank loud tractor slug and compared to other diesels out there is way behind and a H6 3.6 people are only getting 300ks to a tank out of their new tribecas thats just crap for a new car.
Weeeowww.
Seeing as you supposedly worked at Subaru for 6 years, I'm going to say that I'm way over my head in this discussion. If what you say is true then I wholeheartedly agree with you :)
Atleast you're at Toyota now... Fixing their problems.

Juturna
26th April 2010, 11:02 AM

this is every manufacturer in the world. no one makes a perfect car. there are problems with everything and customers are just getting more picky.

slydar
28th April 2010, 01:49 AM
the boxer engine is a bit of a bummer. its platform sharing though, basically, it is the only way the FT86 was ever going to happen.

funny thing is though, there will be AWD and turbo cars built on this platform. which will be kinda odd i think... the FT off to the side, rear drive only, and NA. it might end up being the ugly duckling, or at least the less sister.

Nicko
28th April 2010, 08:52 AM
The "rumble" aside, I still don't understand why people are so bummed about these things having a boxer motor.

They make decent power and there are plenty of upgrades available (including 2.5 litre variants) they have a low center of gravity, they are easy enough to work on.

I revert to my previous statement that those bagging boxers out have never owned one for long enough to enjoy the way they drive...

But meh, best of both worlds for me, when the FT86 comes out, I get a Toyota wuth a Subaru motor :)

Juturna
28th April 2010, 09:39 PM
im going to put an ls2 in mine....

ae71
29th April 2010, 02:57 PM
saw another version in a mag yesterday. FT86F (?) 300ps (220hp) and im failry sure it was still NA. had some different aero and shit. cant help but feel its a bit half arsed but oh well better then nothing.

4rcruza
30th April 2010, 12:25 AM
Gday fella's

As an old man i can say back in the 70 when we where doing cars up they where simple, cams, heads, extractor and triple su's, webers or if you where poor stromies. But we did the work all our selves and we could back them get away with every thing, providing it wasn't to loud. Back then the police had sensitive hearing and where allergic to noise. Most of the time the cops wanted to know what you had under the bonnet, rta didn't give a shit.

If you got a defect you either had to take it back to the cop shop to have it removed or if it was multiple defects you went to the pits. If you were real smart you turned up at 10 to 4 and they just pulled it off so they could go home in a hurry. Datsun and holden were all an every thing unless you were into valiants, 4s and 6s in the 70's as v8 didn't com into the picture till the 80's

Today you can't get away with zip, 2x and you get tagged mmmm life becomes crappy. But technology rolls on and at 51 im trying to keep educated with ecu ect, ect. I have a project the last one i will do in my time . it was a carbie job now its injected fuel/water/meth and getting a s/c and it 2.2lt my way. By the way i bought my first water injection kit in 1974 and i can tell you the benifit as when you injected a clunker it went harder, then after 12mth pull the head off, dam looks brand new (no carbon = less heat =better combustion ect) sheilas loved it boys and their toys. Nowadays you water/meth (50/50) you cant tell its even working, old dato's, holdens an fords are still about 30 n 40yrs later, the thin sheeted shit today is only good for 3yrs then toss it an get another one

You young fellas are smart, thats how i've been getting educated, back in the 70s you would have been bloody rocket scientists. Anyway had my say keep chatn, i will keep learning, back then we used to say "go hard or go home"

4rcruza

Frak
30th April 2010, 10:46 PM
the thin sheeted shit today is only good for 3yrs then toss it an get another one

4rcruza

how come there are so many 2000/2001/2002/2003/2004/2005/2006/2007 cars on the road?????

sun_moon
30th April 2010, 11:00 PM
i dont get what 4rcruza is trying to tell us ???

something about he learned to use EFI on cars, but new cars are not good ? or something ??

also im confused at relevance to the FT86 ?

no disrespect... just i dont know what to make of it...

Frak
30th April 2010, 11:10 PM

something about he learned to use EFI on cars, but new cars are not good ? or something ??

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/2/1/9/42994.jpg (http://img163.imageshack.us/i/grandpavoice.gif/)

like the time I caught the ferry over to Shelbyville. I needed a new heel for my shoe, so, I decided to go to Morganville, which is what they called Shelbyville in those days. So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say.

Now where were we? Oh yeah: the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn't have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones

My story begins in nineteen-dickety-two. We had to say dickety because the Kaiser had stolen our word twenty. I chased that rascal to get it back, but gave up after dickety-six miles. What are you cackling at, fatty? Too much pie, that's your problem! Now, I'd like to digress from my prepared remarks to discuss how I invented the terlet...

Three wars back we called Sauerkraut "liberty cabbage" and we called liberty cabbage "super slaw" and back then a suitcase was known as a "Swedish lunchbox." Of course, nobody knew that but me. Anyway, long story short... is a phrase whose origins are complicated and rambling.

Ah, there's an interesting story behind this nickel. In 1957, I remember it was, I got up in the morning and made myself a piece of toast. I set the toaster to three: medium brown

shift_rook
30th April 2010, 11:39 PM
frak you're a legend

ke_70
30th April 2010, 11:59 PM
hahaha
gets my vote for post of the year!

sun_moon
1st May 2010, 12:25 AM
post of the year.

rthy
1st May 2010, 01:30 AM
meh u ppl should get into the hyundai elantra, at least u know it comes with a 5 year unlimted kms warranty with air and ps!

4rcruza
1st May 2010, 05:57 AM
35yrs back we tuned and looked after cars ourselves (no different than todays young fella's) so 3gens later you have something to play with "GRANNY SPEC's" (you's weren't even born then, i'd been layed)

i another 30yrs the gov will have you lot so stitched up with legislation you won't be able to take a shit without a permit, technolgy will advance,evern faster where will you be then at 50 or 60ys of age ?
better still where will your cars be, the way there crushn now, recycled bridges ?

You have had technology and computer aides since day 1 to play with (ecu, efi) we, had rulers ,pen an paper (plain carbies) "OLDIES ARE DUMBER THAN EVER" if you were never taught how can that be dumber,
i know cartography (uni) does this make you dumber ?

Some off us are tring to get educated by reading your forums and learning from you, as you seem to be ontop of it all mechanicaly and electrically, so that mechanics dont take our pensions to tune our cars

I give you complements and respect for your knowledge refering to you as " ROCKET SCIENTISTS"

Maybe you should read the begining of this thread, that would be pg 1 at the top all the way here to refresh yourself on the flow of the conversation. I am sorry that i interjected on your conversation, im old an senile !!!( last week CQUni 97.2 pass) When and if you make my age, i wonder how will the more technologicaly advanced generation off tuners treat you?? I dont give a shit because i will just silently creep around forums and learn some more from somebody else.

"Remember intelligence is not solely based on knowledge"

4rcruza
1st May 2010, 06:32 AM
In 20yrs petro chemical fuels will be a thing off the past So who is studing ways to molecularly manipulate hydrogen for performace as this is the future (where the money is).
Did you smart arses know that 10yr ago Ford did a 2yr trial in Sth Aus with 2 pure hydrogen cars mmmm brain food for some one, me im past it.
Why did they not make this isn't comman knowledge, hydrogen is extremily explosive and containment is the issue. Every day people would panic, but i assure you it is comming.
Like my pride and joy cars of the 70's and 80's the government got them through laws and legislation and made them to hard to keep. We ran them on leaded super + shell A, and it does not exist any more, unleaded is starting its journey with the introduction of E10 fuel , trials of hydrogen and hybrid cars.

I will leave you with these thoughts as 35yrs age it was all bullshit then, didnt some off us get educated, in another 35yr i wont even have maggots i will be so dead, not my problem

Juturna
1st May 2010, 03:39 PM
dude. what?

racsov
1st May 2010, 05:20 PM

you can learn alot from older guys like him, both mechical ideas and shennaigans that used to take place

Nicko
1st May 2010, 05:38 PM
Agreed,

A lot of you punks read a post like that and start talking some shit.

Time to have some respect for the guys who (in some cases) started the scene, and were the ones modding cars when the grey army were content just to use them to get to work and church and back.

4rcruza - thanks for your time and your post. Some of us haven't forgotten what cars were before computers came along.

This generation of kids have just grown up taking things for granted, and while some of them call themselves tuners with their $2000 ECU and laptop, they wouldn't know how the fuck to jet a carb, lock a dizzy or rank some sparkplugs.

Its all relative.

Welcome to AE86DC

Frak
1st May 2010, 06:53 PM
WTF????? I think this dude had one too many LSD trips back in the 70's!!!

I don't have a problem with oldies posting(me being one of them!) but his posts are so incoherent:shocked:

Juturna
1st May 2010, 10:35 PM
agreed. im 21, a mechanic, have tuned many a carby, love working on old rigs and new stuff..... those posts where like reading on acid lol.

Lameah
3rd May 2010, 01:39 AM
I get what 4rcruza is saying, but maybe this topic isn't the best for his opinion. Maybe him and the older members of DC have their own little sub-forum for rants and musings. Ontopic the FT86 being aimed at older people? cool! its better that it gets bought in larger numbers by people with the money to afford them now, so that retards like us can afford them second hand in a few years time when the aftermarket has made some cool parts and suspension and engine tuning has advanced enough. Let the people with money use them as dailies and then we can buy them and use them as thrashers. everyone wins.

Nicko
3rd May 2010, 01:41 AM
I get what 4rcruza is saying, but maybe this topic isn't the best for his opinion.

I disagree

Lameah
3rd May 2010, 01:42 AM
I disagree

cool bro

Nicko
3rd May 2010, 01:46 AM
I'm not your bro :)

Lameah
3rd May 2010, 01:48 AM
I'm not your bro :)

aw don't be like that, you could always explain why you disagree rather than just posting to up your total count.

Nicko
3rd May 2010, 01:54 AM
I disagree, because you dismiss him like he doesn't matter on the subject.

Lameah
3rd May 2010, 01:55 AM
I disagree, because you dismiss him like he doesn't matter on the subject.

i get what you're saying, but maybe you're a retard. enjoy your dying forum.

Nicko
3rd May 2010, 01:59 AM
Maybe I am, but I don't understand which part of it is dying...

Perhaps someone brave like yourself could enlighten us?

Juturna
3rd May 2010, 02:00 AM
lol wow that escalated quickly.
i think 4cruza or whatever has just as much right to post in here as anyone.
BUT you have to remember just like now, how there are good tuners and bad tuners, there were good and bad back then too.
so just cos you knew about cars in the 70's doesnt mean you were any good at it.

OT. this car will be awesome. who cares who its aimed at...... do you like it? then buy one... simple :)

4rcruza
4th May 2010, 01:36 AM
Thanx\ks to racsov & Nicko i don't need to go into it "been there done that" all done by ear and experimentation we never had the net back then.

Anyway leaving it alone i actually found a site in Japan about AE motors and the interchangability off parts with other Toyota motors. I was going to ask the forum for some information on efi config {injectors/throttle bodies/flow n sizes), types off ecu they use and pinouts best suited and sc's inergration. As they are very relivent to my project, any way it's all good.

By the way LSD (60's and usa not big in Aus) 70's budda, trips and hash Regards 4rcruza

ArbPotatoes
4th May 2010, 07:11 PM
although ae86s dont handle overly well so im sure the new FT86 will corner a lot better tho.

huhwhat?

Nicko
4th May 2010, 07:15 PM
I think that Sun Moon is quoting "out of the box" references again.

sun_moon
4th May 2010, 07:56 PM
there is better handling cars out there. look at aw11s for example. stock and modified. or look at a lot of small IRS cars.

im by no means attacking ae86s as they are great cars, BUT i do think a lot of people seem to think ae86s are better than they actually are.

yes ae86 can handle well when modified, but even then, a lot of other cars still handle better.

a STOCK mini cooper S (i owned one) handles better than any modified ae86 i have been in. and i would LOVE to see an N2 car compete against a race mini.. would be a good laugh.

im just being realistic and open minded... please dont hate.

Todd
4th May 2010, 09:28 PM
I think that Sun Moon is quoting "out of the box" references again.
i lol'ed hahaha

sun_moon
4th May 2010, 10:02 PM
i lol'ed hahaha

feel free to ignore my points tho (as you did) , as i cbf argueing.

anyways, back to life.

rthy
5th May 2010, 03:47 PM
Old people are people too, jesus

Gunner
5th May 2010, 05:23 PM
this is just most likely a story to cover up, that it will most likely be closer to 40k, then 30k they were aiming for,

TOY3TG
6th May 2010, 07:24 PM
this is every manufacturer in the world. no one makes a perfect car. there are problems with everything and customers are just getting more picky.

yeah thats right. toyota customers are generally not as picky as subaru ones i must say. but iv only been at toyota a week and a half so i could be proven wrong. they definately look after you at toyota though.

timbo
6th May 2010, 10:04 PM
What fucking cars aren't aimed at 30+ group? Oh yeah, getz, jazz, yaris all for p platers and blind, deaf old women.

ae71
6th May 2010, 10:14 PM
this is just most likely a story to cover up, that it will most likely be closer to 40k, then 30k they were aiming for,

your prob right there.

may as well buy a altezza, dont think i have to mention whats under the bonnet. that acctually seems to me like a modern day ae86. rwd, bit sporty, revvy 4cly, not super heavy, not super fast.

they are new enough to be modern and not be completely fucked out, old enough to be more affordable

timbo
7th May 2010, 10:14 AM
may as well buy a altezza, dont think i have to mention whats under the bonnet.

A useless 1G unless you get an import... but I did find this:

http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7690559&__sid=127FE5CE3FF3&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32|1||pCar_Price_Decimal|1|| pCar_Make_String|0||pCar_Model_String|0&keywords=&__N=834%201216%201247%201282%201252%201246%2042949 62861%204294858170&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=2&silo=1011 (http://www.carpoint.com.au/all-cars/private/details.aspx?R=7690559&__sid=127FE5CE3FF3&__Qpb=true&Cr=0&__Ns=pCar_RankSort_Int32%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Price_Decim al%7C1%7C%7CpCar_Make_String%7C0%7C%7CpCar_Model_S tring%7C0&keywords=&__N=834%201216%201247%201282%201252%201246%2042949 62861%204294858170&seot=1&__Nne=15&trecs=2&silo=1011)

ae71
8th May 2010, 01:21 AM
yes i know is200 came with a 1g but i didnt say is200 did i? nooooo, no charles no, stop fuckin wit ma helmet.

come to think of it altezza may have came with a 1g also... but i was talking about the 3sge version

shinobi
8th May 2010, 09:21 AM
good, 26k for a FT86, thats still a fair go, who cares if its aimed for an older crowd, why the heck did you get a ae86/ke70 in the first place, its a rusty almost 30year old car, normal person would of gotten a newer car but we are not normal lol

we mustn't be lol..

shinobi
8th May 2010, 09:42 AM
Back on the subject..... Subaru is shit what about waking some VVTI shit in this mother fucker? the only Toyota affiliated car I would want is the LFA and thats way out of my price range.. And at the end of day this car will probally never happen so whatever..

Nicko
8th May 2010, 10:04 AM
^ deadhead

sun_moon
8th May 2010, 11:42 AM
yes i know is200 came with a 1g but i didnt say is200 did i? nooooo, no charles no, stop fuckin wit ma helmet.

come to think of it altezza may have came with a 1g also... but i was talking about the 3sge version

in japan, altezza range has...
AS200 is the 1gg version (yes i said AS-200)
RS200 is the 3sge version.

interestingly the last of the 1gg engines was a BEAMS 1gg engine.... not very good, but still better than the 1g in the australian IS200s

Clinton
8th May 2010, 06:44 PM
Gday fella's

As an old man i can say back in the 70 when we where doing cars up they where simple, cams, heads, extractor and triple su's, webers or if you where poor stromies. But we did the work all our selves and we could back them get away with every thing, providing it wasn't to loud. Back then the police had sensitive hearing and where allergic to noise. Most of the time the cops wanted to know what you had under the bonnet, rta didn't give a shit.

If you got a defect you either had to take it back to the cop shop to have it removed or if it was multiple defects you went to the pits. If you were real smart you turned up at 10 to 4 and they just pulled it off so they could go home in a hurry. Datsun and holden were all an every thing unless you were into valiants, 4s and 6s in the 70's as v8 didn't com into the picture till the 80's

Today you can't get away with zip, 2x and you get tagged mmmm life becomes crappy. But technology rolls on and at 51 im trying to keep educated with ecu ect, ect. I have a project the last one i will do in my time . it was a carbie job now its injected fuel/water/meth and getting a s/c and it 2.2lt my way. By the way i bought my first water injection kit in 1974 and i can tell you the benifit as when you injected a clunker it went harder, then after 12mth pull the head off, dam looks brand new (no carbon = less heat =better combustion ect) sheilas loved it boys and their toys. Nowadays you water/meth (50/50) you cant tell its even working, old dato's, holdens an fords are still about 30 n 40yrs later, the thin sheeted shit today is only good for 3yrs then toss it an get another one

You young fellas are smart, thats how i've been getting educated, back in the 70s you would have been bloody rocket scientists. Anyway had my say keep chatn, i will keep learning, back then we used to say "go hard or go home"

4rcruza

defs cop.

your prob right there.

may as well buy a altezza, dont think i have to mention whats under the bonnet. that acctually seems to me like a modern day ae86. rwd, bit sporty, revvy 4cly, not super heavy, not super fast.

IMO the modern day AE86 is the MX-5.

Nicko
8th May 2010, 09:56 PM
Anyone older than Clinton is now a cop :)

Classic

sun_moon
8th May 2010, 11:39 PM
lol like last year there was some guy on the forums who was adamant on the fact that i was a cop.

DRFT
11th May 2010, 06:30 PM
Anyone older than Clinton is now a cop :)

Classic

hey nick if that really is nick, do you own a subaru legacy sedan? i saw one with shamrock stickers

blair
11th May 2010, 08:36 PM
Yeh it is nick, and yeh he does :)

Nicko
11th May 2010, 09:18 PM
Except in Australia, they are called an RS Liberty :)

Where did you spot me?

ke_70
11th May 2010, 11:25 PM
just like the adm 86 has a 4ac as the is200 get a 1g
the jdm 86s gets the 4age and the rs200 gets the 3s
i think its perfect you got the adm cheap and performance jdm yo'ness import version (mind you i'll take the 2j version anyday lol) also has mod scene

and subeys are boring. theres the ricers that everyone hates that drives them and the old that daily them

boxters are the worst comparison to a 4age ever! the obvious choice is a 3sge theyve already developed it cant be that much harder to use that a boxter

this car was never ment to be a replica of the 86 its just another new toyota with ft86 stamper on it instead of yaris or aurion or something. its not even a corolla!

Gunner
12th May 2010, 10:36 AM
Cause you would struggle to jam a 3s against the fire wall and behind the front wheels, a 3s is atleast 1.5x the weight of a ej, and is cheaper to make.

There is a shit load of reasons why the suby engine, is a far better choice than anything toyota have in the works at the moment. lighter, cheaper, easier to manufacture, allows for better placement etc etc, plus the car is more of a suby than it is a toyota, show me something on the ft, that is toyota apart from the body. People can bag subaru's out all they like, but those of us that aren't blinded by the toyota fanboy light, do realise that the wrx, is one of the most popular and successful cars in the world, and has one more awards than any toyota sprots car ever released.

Also toyota designed it from the ground up, it would of never gone past a concept, and cost double what the ft is said to cost, if it did.

shift_rook
12th May 2010, 11:10 AM
gunner is correct, haha, hope i have the money to buy one, might wait a year or 2 for depreciation though

DRFT
15th May 2010, 07:37 PM
Except in Australia, they are called an RS Liberty :)

Where did you spot me?

yea man i saw you on the M1 cruisin, I was in my blue little 86. but very nice though not like ur everyday liberty or outback or watever.

Neishy4AGTE
10th June 2010, 08:16 PM
i heard somewhere there will be turbo models, one with a subaru badge and one with a toyota badge. boosted boxer motor with yamaha tuned heads couldn't be a bad thing.

ae86-13b
13th June 2010, 03:14 PM
wtf would u go use a subaru engine when toyota have devoloped some of the most powerfull and reliable engines such as 2jz. 4age, 1uz here what im saying why subaru

Nicko
13th June 2010, 06:10 PM
why a rotor?

eastcoastdrifter
14th June 2010, 02:08 AM
after reading this thread I have come to the Conclusion that So Many Retard now infest this site... Wish AE86DC of today would take a leaf out of the 2006 version........

But back on topic

Cant wait till this Car Comes out .. Subaru make great Engines

letsgohunting
14th June 2010, 10:32 PM
That 6 cyl boxer subaru did was really really impressive - super smooth and very all rounded. Sounded great too.

Gunner
15th June 2010, 08:44 AM
yeah the 3ltrs sound a bit like a gtr once you get a good exhaust on them, and if you bolt 2 tdo4s on one it will make near on 300kw at the treads, and love it. And it is only marginally longer than the ej series of 4's so ft86 plus the 3.6 from a tribeca, would be a killer combo.

driftke70
17th June 2010, 01:52 PM
you can bolt two tdo4s onto anything

Vance
29th June 2010, 12:34 AM
not with exhaust manifolds off the shelf, actually any engine parts needed for massive boost off the shelf.

Frak
26th August 2010, 04:01 PM
I just got latest Wheels(sept 2010) and in that they say that after market research that prospective buyers would prefer a more upmarket, softer, more comfortable car WTF, who did they research???? obviously no one from this forum!!! If they had talked to me, it would be, light weight, high rpm INLINE 4cyl(strong torque from 2000rpm - 10,000rpm) sequential gearbox WITH clutch, HUGE fuck off brakes, LSD, huge competition parts option list, including coil overs, adj sus etc etc....Toyota WTF is going on?????

blake.
26th August 2010, 07:58 PM
I just got latest Wheels(sept 2010) and in that they say that after market research that prospective buyers would prefer a more upmarket, softer, more comfortable car WTF, who did they research???? obviously no one from this forum!!! If they had talked to me, it would be, light weight, high rpm INLINE 4cyl(strong torque from 2000rpm - 10,000rpm) sequential gearbox WITH clutch, HUGE fuck off brakes, LSD, huge competition parts option list, including coil overs, adj sus etc etc....Toyota WTF is going on?????

i like the sound of this.

LittleRedSpirit
27th August 2010, 10:51 PM
It will probably be drive by wire too.

Frak
28th August 2010, 11:16 AM
It will probably be drive by wire too.

and auto wipers on, auto headlights on, just all those extra 'performance' bits you need.

LittleRedSpirit
28th August 2010, 12:04 PM
Drive by wire would mean I will never buy one. Although I could buy one with a spent motor some day and fit whatever i want...

Might need to write another email to Toyota marketing and threaten violence again...

matt86
30th August 2010, 09:30 PM

haha frak, its called a 911 turbo.. :P

Frak
30th August 2010, 11:31 PM
haha frak, its called a 911 turbo.. :P

GT2 RS version of course ;)

dewar
9th October 2010, 05:49 PM
have to agree with eastcoast drifter, even though i not been on here long, be positive people it is small and rwd, do you all want to drive commos or falcons soon to have rwd, im not bagging them i had a nice vr, and now drive a mum spec te wagon, so i can save for a silvia, i love 86's but cant afford 10 large for a hacked one so ill bide my time and save for one i can have as a fun weekend driver that has history, but back on subject its a nice car, some ipics it looks a little like an rx8 but i like it, and its good to know 5 yrs after it comes out people like us will be able to get them cheaqp and do as we please with them also the fact if i have kids i could by a cheap ass one in twenty to thirty yrs and teach them how to drive, as well as car control, these are just my opinions and i know there gonna be crap said about it, but i can deal with it, but hopefully we will get to see this car on the market,
plus maybe they look at an older market as their research teams do look at sites like this and make changes based on it, but also think they are looking at making money, not just from the cars but part replacements and so on,old people fix things at dealers, young guys dont fix we upgrade if it breaks, and most before that.

safira218
25th February 2011, 09:56 PM
hes right.

i would love to know the number of sub 30 year olds that buy brand new cars.
just doesn't happen enough to warrant a whole new platform.
aleast if it is seen as a mid life crisis car the police might not hassle younger drivers who have one as much if they were marketed as a young persons car, also insurance would be cheaper.

lolwat
26th February 2011, 12:42 AM
wtf would u go use a subaru engine when toyota have devoloped some of the most powerfull and reliable engines such as 2jz. 4age, 1uz here what im saying why subaru

why rotor one then, those engine are all old, maybe still good but no good for the "fuel efficient" market

Nicko
26th February 2011, 12:52 AM
More to do with emissions vs power output rather than fuel economy...

Considering how hard it would be to make a "new" performance engine emissions compliant, subaru has had very low emissions for a loooong time now.

Gunner
26th February 2011, 07:48 AM
But unfortunately they have gone for the new FB2X engine, will most likely be a direct injected 2.5L supposedly. But there has been alot of development on this new engine, with offset conrod and other little tricks, trying to find out if the FB block will accept EJ heads.

turn69up
1st March 2011, 03:00 PM
this is my new fav website for LOL related posts (used to be unfriendable.com (http://www.unfriendable.com) ) and 4rcruza is my idol

toyotacrazy
17th May 2011, 12:05 AM
and auto wipers on, auto headlights on, just all those extra 'performance' bits you need.

Don't forget multiple cup holders = An extra 30kw in the advertising campain