PDA

View Full Version : hi evryone

skunk
29th January 2009, 09:08 AM
hi everyone, so after doing abit of searching around i came across this forum!
love the pics/info/members cars etc :wub:

not sure if this is where i should post this thread but neways i figured coz im from melb, it might as well be in the melb thread ! (mods feel free to move it if need be)

i currently own a xr6t n i love it as far as going straight goes, however we all know it really sucks at cornering lol.

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light on what it would cost to settup /build an AE for drifting. obviously since its guna be a "learner" car, it wouldnt need to be decked out with the best gear as i could always upgrade along the way.

average cost for a stock AE would be anywhere from 4k-6k from what iv gatherd, & drift ready cars around 10-12k ?

if anyone can point me out/give me a rough idea that would be much appreciated !

shift_rook
29th January 2009, 10:28 AM
nah man, carsales prices are normally way over the top, seeming you have the budget of an ax6t i'm guessing you want an 86 over a kesev??? can pick up stock 86's around 3 or one's with all the bits for around 8k plus, have a look at gilly's one, if you're willling ti ravel i'd highly consider that.

just message me if you need any other help, i'll try and help you out as much as i can

skunk
29th January 2009, 11:26 AM
hey mate, thanks for the reply !
Yea at the moment im still susin everything out n reading up as much as i can.
never been in a drifter b4 so all new to this stuff !
beats going fast in a straight line tho..(altoh that can b fun as well lol)

shift_rook
29th January 2009, 12:29 PM
yeah most defiately, most of the cars for sale on here are reasonably priced so if you get something off here you won't be overpaying by much at all

hitoriko
29th January 2009, 01:06 PM
if i were you i'd try and find a ke70/86 as stock as possible besides having maybe a 4age and learn from that

thats what im doing i brought a stock ke70 and im just getting it RWC and then start as i get better upgrade better bits

skunk
29th January 2009, 01:23 PM
what did it set ya back hitoriko ?
im assuming one would need susy mods pretty much straight up ?
im not particularly keen on doing mad rebuilds ie motor work etc etc ! cant really afford to open another money pit after doing so with my xr.. lol

hitoriko
29th January 2009, 03:17 PM
i got mine cheap on ebay

but look around for one on the forum expect to pay 1k for a decent one
as for suspension - just get lowered springs, better shocks, better sway bars and strut tower braces. thats a good start

if its not manual - find a gearbox etc..

and then either lock the diff or get a LSD.

if its gonna be a daily dont get a locker unless you can be bothered taking it out everytime you get defected.

thats what im doing.
I had a 86 shell that i was going to use but im buying a house so needed one less car
so the shell went - i ahve a 4AGE in pieces almost ready to be built (need some lil bits) and the gearbox to suit it - i also have the geabox etc.. for the stock ke engine so my build is going to be a long slow process

dont rush into it buy smart thats my advice

stanzzza
29th January 2009, 03:39 PM
skunk , buy my car its drift ready, has got everything needed.

5.5k!!!! http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?t=728

blacktopspirit
29th January 2009, 05:33 PM
if you want to learn and understand about all the gear you will need, buy a stock and build it up, expect to pay over $10k for a build up! there's nothing worse than a kid buying a KE70 and thinking its gonna cost him $500 to be a made drifter!

if you want dodgy do as stated above, AE71, cut springs, locked diff, sway bars, strut bar, and you can have fun in that, as long as you don't mind being defected all the time

if you want to start drifting straight away, buy something already prepared for it, it will save you money, time and a lot of effort!

$6k will get you a KE70, complete with 4AGE and suspension.
$8k will get you a AE86, complete with 4AGE and suspension.

shift_rook
29th January 2009, 05:42 PM
or just buy someone else's finished project if you don't want to fuck round and you normally get it alot cheaper, take stanzzza for example, 5.5k and you get something that would cost almost double that to build

ae86
29th January 2009, 05:53 PM
who ever says buying a stock 86/70/71 or whatever as a start and say it will be better is retarded... just going to cost you more in the end, could buy something with a basic setup maybe cheapish shocks and springs with locker, with 6k and the cars on the market at this point id say you could get something really good, better off getting someones car thats already done aslong as u look over it and check its done right so your not stuck with the problems people try solve themselfs then give up. im on my second ae86 now and i learnt from alot of mistakes and if i were to buy another one id buy one thats done right with tasteful mods.

rthy
29th January 2009, 05:57 PM
tru as bro, stanzzza ae86 is choice...
otherwise buy a s13

blacktopspirit
29th January 2009, 07:11 PM
S13 are indeed cheaper to setup than an 86

but then you have live with the fact you have no style!

hitoriko
29th January 2009, 07:18 PM
i was only suggesting buying a stock one for the reason that if you can't look after a stock one you deff can't look after a modded one. plus yeh cost you more etc.. but its yours your project not bying somones half done one or one that you dont know anything about

simple fact is when you buy a used car esp something like a 86 or ke70 or silvia etc.. you ahve no idea how its been treated if its been modded up you dont know how the owner treated it, he might say he babies it and might actually have rail damage from a crash and etc..

up to you in teh end but i prefer as near stock as possible and go from there and its a great way to learn as i've said

quoccy
29th January 2009, 11:21 PM
who ever says buying a stock 86/70/71 or whatever as a start and say it will be better is retarded...

How are they retarded?
Cars are not cheap to modify
Whats the point of buying someones else's car then having to spend more money because its not suited to your driving style

If you really want a sprinter for a drift car
buy a stock one, do it once and do it right

blair
30th January 2009, 12:16 AM
sorry to intrude in another area

but wtf @ saying he needs to spend 8k to buy a LEARNER DRIFT SPRINTER lol.

hitoriko
30th January 2009, 12:48 AM
your first drift car should be as cheap as possible because you will damage it

i brought a 180sx.... bad idea

ae86
30th January 2009, 12:52 AM
How are they retarded?
Cars are not cheap to modify
Whats the point of buying someones else's car then having to spend more money because its not suited to your driving style

If you really want a sprinter for a drift car
buy a stock one, do it once and do it right

did u even read the full post ?
well depends what ur modifying and the more availability can make it
much cheaper and easier to obtain, and i said buy a car thats modded
tastefully suited to somewhat you would do,
when people end up buying a sprinter at first end up spending alot
cause people overprice them so they budget their setup until they got enough money for the mods they could buy on a sprinter already being sold, fitted and problems fixed

quoccy
30th January 2009, 02:47 AM
did u even read the full post ?
well depends what ur modifying and the more availability can make it
much cheaper and easier to obtain, and i said buy a car thats modded
tastefully suited to somewhat you would do,
when people end up buying a sprinter at first end up spending alot
cause people overprice them so they budget their setup until they got enough money for the mods they could buy on a sprinter already being sold, fitted and problems fixed

who ever says buying a stock 86/70/71 or whatever as a start and say it will be better is retarded... just going to cost you more in the end, could buy something with a basic setup maybe cheapish shocks and springs with locker, with 6k and the cars on the market at this point id say you could get something really good, better off getting someones car thats already done aslong as u look over it and check its done right so your not stuck with the problems people try solve themselfs then give up. im on my second ae86 now and i learnt from alot of mistakes and if i were to buy another one id buy one thats done right with tasteful mods.

if you think cheap shocks and springs with a locker is tasteful mods :right:

hitoriko
30th January 2009, 09:38 AM
tasteful aside
thats the cheapest way to learn to slide

lock diff and chop springs

and if you believe otherwise you sir are a moron. top drifters who've been doing this for 10+ yrs even say there first car was dodgy and dodgy mods all over

Otaku
30th January 2009, 09:43 AM
now David, Peter play nice :P

ae86
30th January 2009, 07:45 PM
lol ahhwell he can be a smartass, karma always comes back sometime, he puts two different posts together and i was saying avoid buying ur own sprinter and budgeting with poor quality parts and buy one with the parts in it where the other persons loseing their money not you.

ae86
30th January 2009, 09:34 PM
ohnoes internet threats.

rthy
30th January 2009, 10:09 PM
dood thats not on posting ppl address n shit
-neg rep

shift_rook
30th January 2009, 10:14 PM
man you guys can be a bunch of fucks, behave. why does every thread have to have personal bullshit in it. i tell you what, if you all met inperson i'm sure you wouldn't say the shit you say

hitoriko
30th January 2009, 10:41 PM
quoccy ps i drive by our place all the time just to see your 86 :)

Intense
30th January 2009, 10:55 PM
I'm finding it increasingly difficult not to jump into this little e-fight thats going on but I'd recommend buying a car that is already modified and had the conversion done. Honestly you're saving yourself a lot of trouble and money this way. No one ever gets back what they put into a car, especially an ae86 so take advantage of this and cash in on someone elses hard work.

Secondly, if the car isn't modified to your liking you can always take the parts off and sell them and then get what you really want. Might cost a tad bit more but damn is it worth it.

Now as for getting an ae86 to be acceptable to drift the bare minimum I'd want to have are:

4age/4ag
LSD or Locker
Stiffer springs and better shocks
Bucket seat.

If you take just one item away from that above list drifting will be a nightmare for you and become very frustrating.

As for costs an ae86 with a 4age conversion, lsd, light suspension work and a/m seat would set you back 6k plus? rip 1k off for a ke.

Sam-Q
31st January 2009, 12:11 AM
skunk: what suberb are you in?

ae86: regardless of your dispute unless someone has ripped you off finacially then posting someones address is just not on.

marlon
31st January 2009, 01:00 AM
bare minimum to drift would be:

locked diff
Chopped springs
rain

Otaku
31st January 2009, 01:12 AM
yeah sorry David, but I would have to agree with everyone else
posting someones address is not on...

skunk
31st January 2009, 10:14 AM
hey guys, been busy, havent had time to comeon much.
been reading all the replys ! very much appreciated but godamn wats with the death threats lol. didnt mean to start any punch ons by posting this thread!

sam-Q im in the eastern suburbs of melb

rthy
31st January 2009, 10:24 AM
there are three buying options:
1 Buy a car already setup
2a Buy a car then build it up your self
2b Buy a unfinished project car and finish it your self

Personally id buy the car already setup and running as it saves you time, but then ur unsure on what exact has been done to the car and how much wear and tear is already done.

buying a car and starting from scratch may be more expensive but you know exactly what has been done to the car and getting to know more about the car. 2b is a combo of both but i guess you would get more background too.

if u plan on road registering the car, a locked diff and cut springs will only lead you to more dismay, but its fine to be on a ke70 for some reason.

Sam-Q
31st January 2009, 10:51 AM
guys:

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?p=19895#post19895

buying a pre modded car can either save you a lot of cash or make you pull your hair out by having to un-modify and then re-modify everything thats crap, trust me I have been there with an engine and it was shitty enough let alone a whole car and it can near on impossable to check all the mods before you buy a car.

ae86 (and others): suggesting someone is retarded for a different choice that has its own up and downsides is just not on. We are all here to help each other and I believe the best way to do that is through calm discussion without using insults. I know your not the only one to blame here but I do believe you threw the first stone. Please know that everyone has their own choices on here and save the insults for where it is called for. An example of this is your signiture which I can understand and people doing unsafe things to/with their car, I know its only my opinion but if someone started bragging about how how their brakes barely worked or how they got a high speed down a residental area then they have it coming. I dont want to come across like I am your mum or something but we have to change things on here. If someone says something you dont like then explain calmly and logicly why you disagree, if they insult you in return then ignore them and know your the greater man.

FMP086
3rd February 2009, 09:46 PM
does any1 here knows from the old forum username FRESH?? bought a front bar of him over a month ago and still have not received it

hitoriko
8th February 2009, 10:18 AM
cant say i do man sorry

did you hck the old forum?