PDA

View Full Version : Apple iPod (was split from iPad thread)

timbo
5th May 2010, 04:53 PM
compressed music sucks!

Nicko
5th May 2010, 04:58 PM
Still carrying around your analogue (record player etc) equipment Timbo?

ke70dave
5th May 2010, 05:32 PM
But as you mentioned, the software for their ipod's etc is full bloatware. It's frustrating. I wish it could drop and drag etc.

Iphones suck.

your wish is granted!

http://www.mlipod.com/

check it out, its a plugin for winamp.

ive been using it since i got an ipood. its the only reason i got it, i installed itunes once...and it tried to eat me.

edit: just read you had iphone, unsure if the plugin works for iphone. works for normal ipood's though.

compressed music sucks!

agreed!

im a bit of a FLAC fan, unfortunately the ipood cant play it.....

as for the ipad? meh i dont see how its going to be usefull.

the portability of a laptop, with the restrictions of iphone.

the battery life is impressive though, gota give them that.

though i saw an ipad installed in the dash of a car, i thought that was a cool idea. kinda like a media centre type thing. definately an upgrade for the old "carputers".

Clinton
6th May 2010, 11:26 AM
your wish is granted!

http://www.mlipod.com/

check it out, its a plugin for winamp.

Honestly the best media player I have used to date. good layout, gives you so much information about the files you are playing, Has it's own internet browser that can instantly find lyrics and other info on the band. That's just the tip of the iceberg...

Recommend it for anyone.

timbo
9th May 2010, 12:25 PM
Still carrying around your analogue (record player etc) equipment Timbo?

almost, i still use my philips discman i've had since 98 or 99 and i do have a turntable!

Sam-Q
12th May 2010, 09:31 PM
apple is known for treating its customers like dirt.

Also why is it that all their products are well known for failing.

Can someone confirm this for me, is it true you cant just copy an mp3 to an ipod and play it? you have to convert it to their stupid format first?

One thing I do know is that for most part people buy ipods because their ignorant, there are many other options with superir relability and quality, oh yeah anyone who had an ipod and has the original white earphones just do yourself a favor and throw them out

Nicko
12th May 2010, 09:46 PM
Nope, the files just have to be loaded through iTunes. POS software.

And earphones? I have a set of Bose Quiet Comfort (noise cancelling) headphones for when I used to travel a lot in planes. Ear bud headphones are gay

Sam-Q
12th May 2010, 09:52 PM
screw that, if I buy a music player I want an MP3 player, and I also want to be able to use it as a portable hard drive

Nicko
12th May 2010, 09:59 PM
There are hacks you can do to be able to use it as a portable storage device.

Im not sure if that compromises its ability to play the mp3's on it though.

I got my wife an iPod when they first came out, and we went to load the files onto it and I dragged and dropped the files on and nothing showed up and when I realised you needed iTunes to do that, I really scoffed at apple for being a bunch of fuckwits about something so simple and having to let them have control of such a simple task.

Word on the street (today) is that Google is going to release a similar gPad on android

and the idea makes me very happy in the pants :)

Sam-Q
12th May 2010, 10:09 PM
you shouldnt need a hack, you know most apple products have something in common with Harley Davisons, it's all about the hype and image. For the bike if you look past the machoness and all that all of them bar the latest models are a mechanical pile of crap, pushrods and all.

sun_moon
13th May 2010, 10:45 AM
ipod and reliablity dont go in the same sentance sam.
i am on my third ipod classic... previous 2 of them have had failures in the R/W heads on the HDDs... hope this one will be ok.
i keep buying ipod due to its design is easy to use.... if this one fails, then im getting one without a HDD (like the ipod touch)... but keep in mind, 32 and 64gb is just not enough storage capacity, so i bought a classic this time.

ipod really wins on storage capaity vs cost.
like i bought one of the new sony mp3 players in japan for my girlfriend (she loves sony), its an amazing player, just the sad thing is, for a little extra cash, i was able to buy my ipod with over 5 times the storage space.

Sam-Q
13th May 2010, 10:51 AM
I suggest you get something made by the company Creative

ke70dave
13th May 2010, 11:28 AM
I suggest you get something made by the company Creative

yer i thought creative was on the way out in terms of large mp3 players.

i remmeber a few years ago when they had mp3 players that rivled the ipod classic (120gb at the time). but whenever i go into jbhifi now almost all other bransd besides apple seems to cap at about 30gb. when like sun-moon says, pay $80 more and you get 160gb.

i also have an ipod classic (latest gen, bought it in january), the only reason i bought it was because of the harddrive space. it is a pretty good device, appart from all the bagging i do on apple the ipod seems to work well. the idea of carrying around a spinning hardrive is a bit worrying, hopefully the next generation of classics incorporates one of these new solid state drives, that would be awesome.

i havent had any dramas with it, it doesnt really have many features, but it does play music very well. which is its main purpose. and the battery life is pheominal. i use it every day either at work or on the train or at uni. and the battery just keeps going. only really have to charge it once every 1.5 weeks or so.

i did consider the touch, but if i was going to get one of them i would just get an ipodphone. and im a bit skeptical of anything touch, especially when playing music i like the tactility of buttons, when all i want is to press the next button. i do like the scroll wheel thing on ipod, that works well especailly for volume control. on other mp3 players i always seem to have the problem when there is not enough resolution in the volume control, 70% is to soft, and 80% is to loud etc. but thats just being picky...

i am yet to try videos/movies on it though, but i dont see that being to good. screen is a bit small for that. though it does have nice resolution i guess..

oh and i enjoyed your harly davidson parellel sam:P

timbo
19th May 2010, 11:08 PM
someone should just build an external hardrive with a headphone jack and some buttons, that way i can listen to wav files and not suffer compression. as soon as there is an apple store in brisbane i will frisbee my ipod through the front doors.

Nicko
19th May 2010, 11:11 PM
me = now waiting on Google gPad

Hurry up google.

timbo
19th May 2010, 11:12 PM
oh and nick Buy Other Sound Equipment next time yeah! lol

Sam-Q
19th May 2010, 11:13 PM
someone should just build an external hardrive with a headphone jack and some buttons, that way i can listen to wav files and not suffer compression. as soon as there is an apple store in brisbane i will frisbee my ipod through the front doors.

haha classic!

so the problem is because so many people mindlessly went for the ipods it killed the competition, so it's just them and the other brand media players. Creative used to have such awesome players.

timbo
19th May 2010, 11:16 PM
honestly, with the space these things have ripping your cd's as wav's is a possibility. compressed audio like mp3's will be a thing of the past in a few years lets just hope record companies don't continue this trend of no dynamic range.... sorry to get off topic there.

i do like apples ideas i just think they are executed poorly. and they have done to the portable audio/media industry what microsoft has done to the software industry.

Nicko
19th May 2010, 11:46 PM
I love a good argument.

If Micro$shit and Apple have fucked the industries as you say, why do 90% of forum users on AE86DC browse from MS based platforms, and why have apple sold billions of iPlods and IPhrongs?

And I know about this "uncompressed vs compressed" argument. The real "Audiophiles" are out there are all "I can't stand to listen to MP3s"

A fact you may not know about me is that for the best part of my life, I also have been what I would consider an "Audiophile" and also a "Musician". When I was 17, I recorded my first CD with my cousin and some mates on a 16 track analogue multi-track and it was (and still is) fucking fantastic quality. I'll be the first one up there to argue that not a goddamn fucking thing is as warm and full of tone like a proper oldschool high quality analogue recording... I'll take the Pepsi challenge on that fucker any day.

But I (like 99.98%) of the rest of the population went "holy fuck, I can fit 10 CD's worth of songs on a CD now that its not in that lame outdated WAV / PCM format"

Seriously mate, running around saying that you can literally hear the difference between a well encoded 320kps MP3 and a wave file is a bit of an "what drugs are you smoking?" moment.

The people who can hear it [any difference] are the ones who use those "gay in your butthole" type doof doof cd's to win decibel drag competitions with their fulli sik subwoofas, brah. When they have that shit cranked to 160db they reckon it gets them an extra 2db compared to an MP3 file. Scale that back into proportion and its all very fucking LOL.

I totally disagree with people that would seriously prefer to be running around with a portable music device filled to the brim with "uncompressed" digital music.

Totally bullfuckingshittus argument. I hope that one day you receive the appropriate corrective head knock to get you back in line with reality... lol

sun_moon
20th May 2010, 01:42 AM
i agree with everything nick just said. i would also like to further his point and say that on headphones you have EVEN LESS chance telling the difference between an mp3 and a wave file that you would on a stereo. no point in having wave files on ur ipod.

and for those who " think can tell the difference"... fucking hell stop stressing and enjoy the fuckin song a bit more

Nicko
20th May 2010, 01:53 AM
Adding to that, my iPod has given me music in some moments where I didn't particularly want to be there [where I was], and some moments where I was a long way from home travelling for work, homesick and wanting to be anywhere else but where I was at the time. My i-Plod however was there and I could shut my mind out and crank up some krunking awesome tunes. It dind't matter if they were 128kb bitrate or whatever.

Full PCM / WAV bitrate wouldn't have changed the quality of the moment for me at all.

Now, back to "apple-hating" Nick

Bring me forth a gPad !

All hail the mighty google monster

timbo
20th May 2010, 07:19 PM
what i meant was that apple have sort of monopolised the portable music industry, shutting out any competitors they may offer a better alternative...

and i wasn't having a go at anyone just to be clear! i also love a good argument and sorry if i came across as personally attacking you nick, it was far from my intentions.

re the compressed vs uncompressed audio i have to disagree. being an audio engineer i would have to say on any half decent hi-fi equipment or headphones it would be possible to pickup compressed music over an original just as you can tell a (brand new) vinyl recording over a cd. it all comes down to dynamic range. now i understand that an ipod is for listening to music on the go but who hasn't seen someone running a dock into a stereo at a party etc!?

i guess i do live in my own little world sometimes in regards to audio... last post in here as im way off topic!

Nicko
20th May 2010, 07:21 PM
All good, didn't take it personally. I just think sometimes people shun compressed music when really, for me personally it was the best thing since sliced bread.

Sam-Q
20th May 2010, 07:26 PM
but who hasn't seen someone running a dock into a stereo at a party etc!?

the poor quality audio components in an ipod would be the weakest link over a compressed audio file if its 160kb

driftke70
21st May 2010, 11:06 AM
few points to make.

firstly the non drag and drop of an ipod is due entirely to dmr. It sucks, its the gheyest thing ever, but its also over 60% of their income.

secondly, creative still make excellent mp3 players, i recently bought a 120gb for my father with really clear colour touch screen and stuff for $175.
Has significantly better sound quality than my nano, easier to use UI, drag and drop etc, can use as an external hdd.

thirdly i was given a nano as a present from my brother, thing broke after 1 week and i literally used it about 4 times. Reasearched the problem online couldn't find any answers. Turns out apple makes websites to push such complaints off the first few pages of google. I went to the apple genuine forums. I basically said " i have problem, whats the solution" my topic was deleted every 15 minutes by some guy on the forums whos job must basically be damage control. Every complaint or question about an error or fault was deleted so the forums were a collection of praises.

THAT IS FUCKING BULLSHIT

took my ipod to get replaced at the show my brother bought it from, the guy didnt even test it, just said, yeah we get this all the time. He was explaining to me that apple repairs previously failed and repaired ipods, re skins them and sends them out again. So 1 out of 6 ipods is not "new" it could be a hdd that has had 2 previous owners. I researched this further and it appears to be 100% true.

Which is pretty ghey.

Nicko
21st May 2010, 11:42 AM
I don't know if I would trust anything that wasn't completely solid state anyway. With true 120GB solid state disks (SSD) coming very soon, it would be worth trading in your "mini hard drive" appliance and grabbing a true SSD portable device.

I have never had a problem with genuine solid state iPods yet

driftke70
21st May 2010, 12:03 PM
either have 5 other people i know.

where apple gains ground is from people that dont research their purchases, like when i buy anything electrical i research for days on end, my phone took like 3 weeks of research.

people just walk into a store and go that looks flashy, i guess I can afford that.

solid state is the future, will be awesome for two reasons,
firstly its going to bump down the price of disk drives,
secondly going to shrink a few things and make them way more reliable.

all the things apple makes are always good products with one or two vital flaws. Other companies might have flaws but you can put up with them.

things like missing usb plugs, biggest flaw on my ipod is you cant listen to music while its charging for two reasons. Also the way I drive it changes songs by itself all the time.

AJPS
21st May 2010, 04:07 PM
what phone did you get beally?

ke70dave
21st May 2010, 04:31 PM
i am looking forward to solid state drives becoming reasonable priced.

be good to use one as a system drive on my pc, get pretty epic speeds.

Be intersting to see what companies come up with new devices that use them.

the fact that you cant listen to ipod while its charging isnt such a big deal, if i have it plugged into pc charging then my pc is on...with all my music on it anyway.

i am like you driftke70 with the researching of products, i read every review, watch every walk through video. and if you are like me you cannot stand salesppl that are trying to change your mind when you go to buy it! i guess online shopping is good to avoid that.

what is cool with ipods is the car CD players that have ipod control, though its the same as the ones that you can plug in USB flash drives i guess. though i just run mine with the AUX jack on the back of CD player, works pretty good.

Richard
26th May 2010, 04:16 PM
lol i got an ipod years ago for xmas and within 30mins of owning it, it stuffed up i think i ejected it without doing it properly. I never got it fixed. now just sits in a box in my cupboard.

Todd
26th May 2010, 06:32 PM
i have had 4 ipods, ipod mini, regular 30gb ipod, and two of the newest classics with the glass face.
every single one of them have died to to unknown reasons, just out of the one year 'warranty' also.

pretty BS if you ask me. i have been meaning to get a new mp3 player (as i simply wont get in the apple groove again) but am clueless as to where to begin looking.
had an i-river or whatever they were back in the day, it was ok.
creative are nice also.

any suggestions? after something exxy.

letsgohunting
3rd June 2010, 01:53 AM
Get a creative or an ipod touch. The lower end ipods are fine but do have a higher fail-rate.

HarlemSessions
4th June 2010, 09:20 PM
I'v had a 30gb iPod classic going on five years now, I rode an $800 dollar motorbike quite literally halfway around the world with it in my pocket, it has been in freezing cold conditions while hiking across mountains, spent time stewing in my backpack in sumatran jungles, been drowned while cruising in dugout canoes to far off surf breaks and it still keeps on going. It has a big gouge in the back from a crash in jakarta but all that did was give it a small black line at the bottom of the screen. I always rip it out without "ejecting" it properly from the old laptop and it has been dropped plenty of times. It has performed DJ duties at parties and has given me countless hours of enjoyment over the years.

I would't hesitate to buy another one, best thing i ever bought.

4agejet
5th June 2010, 01:05 AM
I'v had a 30gb iPod classic going on five years now, I rode an $800 dollar motorbike quite literally halfway around the world with it in my pocket, it has been in freezing cold conditions while hiking across mountains, spent time stewing in my backpack in sumatran jungles, been drowned while cruising in dugout canoes to far off surf breaks and it still keeps on going. It has a big gouge in the back from a crash in jakarta but all that did was give it a small black line at the bottom of the screen. I always rip it out without "ejecting" it properly from the old laptop and it has been dropped plenty of times. It has performed DJ duties at parties and has given me countless hours of enjoyment over the years.

I would't hesitate to buy another one, best thing i ever bought.

Exact same mate, i baught an ipod video 30gb the day they came out, ever since, no porblems, just recently i yanked it out for the 1000000th time and the clip on the inside of the input tore abit and doesn't seem to click in properly anymore with the usb connection however it charges fine through the am/fm transmitters cable in a car, weird yes i know, other than that perfectly fine and always made those plain moments fun.

driftke70
5th June 2010, 02:18 AM
there is more variance between models within a brand than there is between brands sometimes.

i have heard good things about the 30gb model,

but the use you guys are getting is to be expected from a decent 300 dollar product.

HarlemSessions
5th June 2010, 03:20 PM
there is more variance between models within a brand than there is between brands sometimes.

i have heard good things about the 30gb model,

but the use you guys are getting is to be expected from a decent 300 dollar product.

You can grab the 160gb classic for $300 dollars now, though thats way more space than your "average" user needs.
My 30gb is chockas full of music and if left on "random" will play through songs i forgot were even on there.

My brother has the glass windowed 8gb nano, he wears it to rugby training, the gym. running and just generally treats it like shit, yet it keeps on trucking.
Before that he had a plastic windowed nano, kept right on working until the day it met it's fate with davey jones locker.

Maybe the secret is to cover it in stickers, or just to treat it like the town whore.

ke70dave
15th June 2010, 11:31 PM
just thought i would let you know of a cool program ive been using

http://www.mp3tag.de/en/download.html

you can edit the id3 tags on the ipod through this program, so you can fix up those annoying instances when artists names are spelt wrong and thus multiple folders are created.