PDA

View Full Version : point and shot cameras sub $300

hachirusto
23rd May 2010, 11:49 PM
Hey guys

Going over to America soon and thought I would upgrade my camera, looking at something basic which will take good photos at just 1 click, don't really need anything flash.

so far Ive been having a read and found that the canon ixus range is supposed to be good. The new models start at the ixus 105 which i can get for $250 from MSY or the ixus 120 which I can get for $267. Whereas retail looking at $315 + for the 105 and 120 $400+.

from what I have read the main difference between to 2 his slightly higher mp on the 120 and its a metal body.

if you guys have any suggestions of a good camera which falls in my price bracket post away.

Zach
27th May 2010, 12:51 PM
have a look on ebay for second hand stuff would be your best bet. or buy a flim camera as they are cheaper and use flim. but i guess its up to you.

ke70dave
27th May 2010, 02:23 PM
but it sounds like its only going to be used for point and shoot, so anything cheap will do.

my brother bought a cheapy camera, optimus? or something (no not the transformer) for like 120$ in duty free when he went to NZ, does plenty, came with a huge memory stick and he used it on his NZ skii trip.

i intend on doing the same thing when i go to japan next month, either pickup something cheap in duty free or wait for a crazy sale and pick up an older model for real cheap.

Zach
27th May 2010, 02:37 PM
Don't listen to me. Ke70Dave wins.

letsgohunting
3rd June 2010, 06:21 PM
IMO stick with canon and panasonic. Usually both brands are made in Japan, unlike the others, have the lowest fail rates out of the compact digital market, and usually have the best IQ, although it's much of a muchness at this level. I have a very old canon ixus that still goes strong and is surprisingly nice to use for a compact.