PDA

View Full Version : FT86 re-design and postponed till 2013

dori_86
27th May 2010, 03:27 PM
According to Japan’s “Best Car magazine”, the FT86’s release date is set to be postponed a further 2 years with the goal posts being shifted from a 2011 release date to 2013.

http://www.7tune.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSC_0329.jpg

Toyota are offering two reasons for this reported delay. It is said that the design is going to be amended yet again, indicating a fresh source of frustration for fans of the car the world over. Toyota appear to have gone to lengths to reiterate that the concept we have all seen at the 2010 TMS was only that; a prototype and they have left the door open for further changes to its shape.

Best Car has also said that according to the data from the newly formed TMJ group (Toyota Marketing Japan), fears exist that the release date for 2011 may be premature – with a global economic slowdown effecting sales and with expectations that the sports car market is going to take longer to recover.

http://www.7tune.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/DSC_0318.jpg

With the car slated to be displayed again at the Tokyo Motor Show in 2011, Toyota are also said to be taking a hard look at the success of Honda’s CR-Z, with its hybrid engine the main focus and this may end up influencing the development of the FT-86.

Interestingly, Toyota is said to be planning to sell the car in Japan for a little over 2,000,000 yen – quite cheap in itself but it is too early to say for certain.

Indeed many things about the development of this car are uncertain and this cannot be helping the confidence of the legions of people hungry to get their hands on this car when it does in fact go on sale officially.

As it stands, this latest round of reported changes lend lend themselves to the impression that Toyota appear to be doing their best to score an own goal with this car.

http://www.7tune.com/news-scoop-ft86-release-postponed-design-changed/

soooooo does this mean they're thinking about a new toyota motor?:thumbup:
or hybrid? :thumbdown:

Nicko
27th May 2010, 05:31 PM
Blah. We fucking wait :(

Hurry up Toyota

Todd
27th May 2010, 07:43 PM
I did not expect this to happen at all.

but seriously, the car will be a piece of poo.

Pidgey
27th May 2010, 09:30 PM
It's funny how most people voted for the choice that will never happen.
Such a depressing thought :(

shift_rook
27th May 2010, 09:50 PM
who would want a pissant 1.6 ina bigger car? it's a daily drive, it needs some form of 4 cylinder 2 litre 2jz, that would be off tap

Konakid
27th May 2010, 10:09 PM
Its only what mazda has been doing for the last 20 years with the mx5.

Apart from looking cool, it will be nothing revolutionary for toyota or the automotive world (unless they turbo it) and will ultimately be a let down.

If you want one that bad go and buy an mx5, at least it has had years of refining and huge aftermarket support.

rthy
28th May 2010, 02:46 PM
i have a feeling australian marker will never see the ft86, instead we will behold fo the toyota fukus

Konakid
28th May 2010, 03:30 PM
Even the bigger one will probably be a let down. I have little faith in Toyota Aus, why cant they just get on and do it like Hyundai did with the Genesis.

Subaru partnership makes no sense. Subaru have never built a 4 cylinder naturally aspirated motor worthy of putting in anything and their whole ideal of AWD just doesn't fit the profile of the car either.

I wish Nissan didn't kill the S15.

Nicko
28th May 2010, 03:45 PM
Oh Bullshit

Fucking hater.

Konakid
28th May 2010, 04:13 PM
I love that word. As soon as someone tells it like it really is, the dreamers just say 'hater'.

Nice.

Don't get me wrong, id love for this car to happen but its not going to be anything that hasn't been done before like people are making it out to be. Its just another underpowered, n/a rear drive sports car that looks cool and hopefully has awesome chassis balance. Like a stock JDM AE86.

I'm more excited for what we/aftermarket can do with it of course once they become common on the 2nd hand market, just like what has happened with the ae86.

Nicko
28th May 2010, 04:52 PM
I was referring to the Subaru Partnership bullshit.

Gunner
28th May 2010, 06:23 PM
The truth is konakid, subaru have never had to build a high performance na 4, there has never been the need, the new 6 on the other hand is a testament to what subaru can do na, oodles of torque, and a beautiful power curve. subaru are and have been developing their direct injection for their new 4 bangers, and it will make a big difference in years to come, with that said, what late model performance na 4 do toyota have that isn't over 10 years old?

ke_70
28th May 2010, 10:12 PM
beams?

Konakid
28th May 2010, 10:38 PM
Toyota have far more experience with building N/a 4 bangers. 2ZZ, 4age 16V and 20V, havent seen anything from subaru ever, not writing them off just stating the facts, thats all.

Rear drive goes against everything subaru is about. I know your a fanboy and they do make decent cars just seems like an oddball partnership.

Either way what will it be compared to when it drops? Mx5? s2000? Rx-8? Hot hatches? 370Z?

ae71
28th May 2010, 10:41 PM
who would want a pissant 1.6 ina bigger car? it's a daily drive, it needs some form of 4 cylinder 2 litre 2jz, that would be off tap

last time i checked a 2jz wasnt a 2L 4cyl (unless you chop off 2 cylinders)...... yes i know what you ment but t just read funny.

2zz-ge? is performance orientated

Blizzerd
30th May 2010, 05:58 AM
gives me time to save for one....

ecko
30th May 2010, 12:04 PM
why not just use lexus v6 or some new version of 3sge ?

xero
30th May 2010, 12:55 PM
i have a feeling australian marker will never see the ft86, instead we will behold fo the toyota fukus
the rukus isnt a bad car, and from the whispers i heard it will go on sale for the mid 20k mark. but the biggest down fall for it will be that the US get a SHITLOAD of factory backed options such as exhaust systems, CAI, wheels, bodykits and graphics that you can option at the time of purchase, of which we will get fuck all. maybe a couple of stickers or interior choices but thats it. granted its no performance car but having a number of personalisation options available to you would make it a big sales success. think of it this way, when the new mini was released the options list was a mile long, and when the JCW kit came out it got a mile longer, imgaine that for the rukus. thats what toyota oz needs to get themselves back into the younger market.
hell if those options were available for around 30k, i would seriously be looking at one, considering the amount of room there is in the back it would be an awesome daily and/or support vehicle.

except they will all be auto... FTL.

while i am optimistic, i am also cynical and have seen toyota oz fuck shit up monumentally in the past and lose even more customers who arent already on deaths door.

why not just use lexus v6 or some new version of 3sge ?

that V6 is lexus only, the BEAMS wont meet EURO5(?) emissions which all new cars must abide by...

lo_rolla
31st May 2010, 01:04 PM

You mean a 3S??

I'm sick of waiting already. If it's not out next year i'm getting me a 370z

Richard
31st May 2010, 01:22 PM
could be a good thing like how long nissan took to make the r35gtr and now its just plain awesome on its achievements. Anyways out of all the people in the world having a winge i reckon 9 out of 10 of thoose people were never gona by it anyways

floody
31st May 2010, 11:54 PM
I'd say its a polite marketing spin on it being dead in the water.

Juturna
1st June 2010, 10:38 PM
i believe the term is stillborn.... :(

Paul
2nd June 2010, 08:09 PM
Heads up

Was talking to someone high up in toyota yesterday. Theres talk of this being both 3sgte and also a boxer engine model.

Victim
2nd June 2010, 10:00 PM
As much as i'd like to see this completed, give Toyota some credit. The arse of the world's economy just dropped out.

Would you, as a car company, take a massive punt and jusy sat "fuck it, let's run with it"? I sure as hell wouldn't.

Besides, i'd personally want it to be as much of a homage to the original as possible. If that means more refinement, do it.

Seems like people are either like, hurry the fuck up and make it, but then they'll probably be the ones bagging it out because it's half baked and could have been better.

Just a different perspective.

redsprinter
3rd June 2010, 09:45 AM
2zz-ge? is performance orientated

uuhhhh found in the lotus exige / elise...

ae71
3rd June 2010, 02:47 PM
and mr2 ^^

after a bit of reading it does make a person wonder why this motor cant be used!! the VVTL-i sounds good, and much like vtec.

if it can be also supercharged in the lotus, then i dont see any reason why a s/c option coudnt also be used. perhaps the motor is too expensive to build? its toyota and newer then the beams 3s

Rice86
3rd June 2010, 03:14 PM
there is always more then meets the eye with everything, just shut up and wait until it does come out, first person to buy will have first impression...whatever happens we all know joeblow is going to do a engine converstion just to show toyota what the car could of been if they had it wrong in the first place... and then everyone is going to point and say "see thats what it should be" but who really cares

ae71
4th June 2010, 04:54 PM
that is the same as it is now with ae86?

floody
5th June 2010, 06:47 PM
Heads up

Was talking to someone high up in toyota yesterday. Theres talk of this being both 3sgte and also a boxer engine model.

Someone involved with the decision making process on the FT86 is in Australia?

Nicko
5th June 2010, 07:21 PM
Grain of salt, taken.

Nicko
5th June 2010, 07:21 PM
Grain of salt, taken...

Nicko
5th June 2010, 07:24 PM
fuckdoublepostingruven

sun_moon
5th June 2010, 10:19 PM
fuckdoublepostingruven

"tripple kill"

http://ui07.gamespot.com/134/dota_2.jpg

Nicko
5th June 2010, 11:46 PM
WOW is soooo 2005

I yawned so hard

ae71
6th June 2010, 03:02 AM
admin cant delete there own posts?

Nicko
6th June 2010, 03:07 AM
Admin is t3h lazy

wntdae86
6th June 2010, 12:53 PM
lol nick

well if they turbo the ft i will be off my ps by then so all sweet as hell

Nicko
6th June 2010, 01:10 PM
You'll have to buy the urabuS version to get a turbo.

I don't reckon Toyota will do the D4S Boxer as a turbs.

Eason
11th July 2010, 11:41 PM
its not wow, its dota

4.5AG
14th July 2010, 07:48 PM
FT86 will be in Sydney int'l motorshow this October...might be a good excuse to fly down..hehehe...

Vance
14th July 2010, 07:49 PM
ill be going to see and put a "property of riojin" sticker on this FT86 at the sydney motorshow

z_brutalis
21st July 2010, 01:52 PM
Toyota have far more experience with building N/a 4 bangers. 2ZZ, 4age 16V and 20V, havent seen anything from subaru ever, not writing them off just stating the facts, thats all.

Rear drive goes against everything subaru is about. I know your a fanboy and they do make decent cars just seems like an oddball partnership.

Either way what will it be compared to when it drops? Mx5? s2000? Rx-8? Hot hatches? 370Z?

i would like to point out that toyota didn't design the 4age and 3sge both were done by yamaha.