PDA

View Full Version : Teach me to Drift!

PRIMRK
31st May 2010, 11:32 PM
I've wanted to start drifting for ages now but never had a car that could do it (SV21 camry FWD, GTS4 skyline AWD, VN commi SHIT) but now i got something i can use, a AE86 with 4AGZE.

Now i need to learn how to slide it, whats the best way to learn how to drift?

Ive been to the Vicdrift meets and have seen that there is practice track but would rather have some one there who knows what their doin to help me out so i dont waste anytime.

R&D Mechanical
31st May 2010, 11:34 PM
Watch all parts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzlrQHJYedk

PRIMRK
31st May 2010, 11:47 PM
Done that...a few times...

MeZ Prod
1st June 2010, 12:16 AM
Is the car setup for drift? That would be where I would start! Otherwise learning to drift could be frustrating!

evil86
1st June 2010, 08:52 AM
what mez said. also practice makes perfect, it will improve you confidence and you'll do it without thinking

Twinky
1st June 2010, 09:14 AM
You definately won't be able to just pop into the car and start to drift like a pro.
Thats why you see alot of people in shitboxes becasue they know they have a good chance of pranging the car.
Start of slow and easy. Find a corner that has plenty of runoff around it so that when you do slide off you can only rip up the grass.
Get that corner right untill you are confident enough to start more difficult ventures. You have to develop a "feel" for your car and get used to looking out the passengers side when moving forwards :)

redsprinter
1st June 2010, 09:27 AM
twinky has got it. thats how i started ..

my advice watch the above one moretime .. listen and take notes, then go to your local skid pan day . and go from there . dont worry too much about your setup /. power . just go out there and have fun .. your car will be more then up to the task.

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 10:40 AM
Is there any noob mistakes to be careful of so i don't fall into bad habbits?

Konakid
1st June 2010, 12:02 PM
Go grip racing first, you need to learn to drive fast before you drift. Once you can drive your car on the limit of grip, understanding and using the weight shift, drifting will just come naturally.

Then go to a skidpan/drift day and start to experiment with angle, different forms of initiation, linking corners, clutrch kicking etc.

ke70dave
1st June 2010, 12:20 PM
you wont be able to be taught how to drift via an internet forum.

have a crack at it at your local track, and talk to the guys that seem to be doing better than you.

and dont forget to have fun.

ae86
1st June 2010, 03:03 PM
i seen 32 gts4's drift? but anyway, sounds like you been through a few cars so you probably been on the road for a while
the thing i see in most people starting out is their too scared to push the car in the corner quick, this is the first thing that needs to be overcome to start going through some decent corners / links

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 04:28 PM
Are there any beginer days to get pointers ect in vic?

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 04:30 PM
Yeh I got my 33 to drift but being na and awd I just reefed it into corners

racsov
1st June 2010, 06:21 PM
slamming gutters at teardrops

MeZ Prod
1st June 2010, 06:47 PM
I believe VicDrift hold drift practice days at Winton. Get in contact with them, theyll be able to point you in the right direction!

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 08:19 PM
Yeh VicDrift dose have practice days but i havent found and beginer days where you are able to have some sort of a guide of what your doing wrong, during the practice days i been to they have a beginer bit sectioned off, i watched these guys for a while and they seemed to be doing the same thig wrong each time and i figure without guidance they dont even know themselves what they are doing wrong...

Is there help for beginers out there? I know there is a drift school in sydney but i CBF goin all the way there...

shift_rook
1st June 2010, 08:33 PM
make mates with someone who can dori and get them to sit in the passenger with you, i'll ask a few guys if you'd like next practice day if you come down

Konakid
1st June 2010, 08:51 PM
go grip driving and learn to drive your car as fast as possible first, seriously it will actually make you a good driver not just a 'sick drifter'.

shift_rook
1st June 2010, 08:53 PM
oh yeah ^ that too

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 09:07 PM
Ill be there hopefuly with the levin...no way im taking my trueno on the track...so if your at winton and feel like helping me out it will be the white levin towed by a white VW tigwan.

4agejet
1st June 2010, 10:55 PM
clutch kicking in dark spots :)

DOG the rolla hunter
1st June 2010, 11:06 PM
rainy days in industrial areas will teach u everything.

Sprinter86
1st June 2010, 11:15 PM
i think going grip driving is a bad idea haha

ive seen way to many people who dont know how to control a car if it steps out a bit, or slight understeer, come badly unstuck trying just to go fast or grip.

seriously id focus on simple stuff first, find a big open area, and start doin dohuts like ure local bogan vn commodore owner, and steer the car into wider and wider circles, if you have a good amount of room you end up basically doin a little drift rings, then once you have a good feel of how the car reacts under the power and how much grip its giving the car, you can start applying it as you drive into corners.

what comes later is fast entering, but i think that comes after you can steer and have some level of control over a 'powerslide' style drift.

thats more or less what i started with, im a pretty slow learner, so i practiced fuckloads, somehow ive never even hit gutters or crashed once :S not sure how i managed that haha

im way too conservative

PRIMRK
1st June 2010, 11:59 PM
Industrials are out as my drifter isnt rego'd plus i cant afford fines and need my licence for work.

Where are skid pans in Vic?

peter_soj
2nd June 2010, 12:43 AM
Nath if i could just ask, your car looks so pig spec the exhaust looks like its had a crash of its own, how has that been from not hitting anything!!!??

Not that I doubt you I've seen what you can do haha :P

Love the advice though I'll need to take some notes from you too haha.

stx-16
2nd June 2010, 11:37 AM
primrk your going to crash
but you will have heaps of fun doing it lol
first time i crashed i loled and kicked the front guard back straight-ish

seriously id focus on simple stuff first, find a big open area, and start doin dohuts like ure local bogan vn commodore owner, and steer the car into wider and wider circles, if you have a good amount of room you end up basically doin a little drift rings, then once you have a good feel of how the car reacts under the power and how much grip its giving the car, you can start applying it as you drive into corners.

what comes later is fast entering, but i think that comes after you can steer and have some level of control over a 'powerslide' style drift.

thats more or less what i started with, im a pretty slow learner, so i practiced fuckloads

thats what i did/am doing and im learning more and more everytime

Sprinter86
2nd June 2010, 11:44 AM
Nath if i could just ask, your car looks so pig spec the exhaust looks like its had a crash of its own, how has that been from not hitting anything!!!??

Not that I doubt you I've seen what you can do haha :P

Love the advice though I'll need to take some notes from you too haha.

haha yer its a bit piggy, a guy reversed into my drivers door while parked once, and the exhaust is just plain ghetto :D

its just how i roll ya know.

im so far overdue for a stack its rediculas, cant be far off one.

marvis
2nd June 2010, 12:35 PM
slamming gutters at teardrops

THIS.

Skid pan is good for learning to countersteer etc.

peter_soj
2nd June 2010, 02:28 PM
Listen to marv he skids better in FWD than most of us do in RWD :P

Well better than me at least ha.

dr1ft-pig
7th June 2010, 07:22 PM
my advice is go do donuts somewhere, u will get a feel for the car doing that, thats what i did

racsov
7th June 2010, 08:44 PM
i think going grip driving is a bad idea haha

ive seen way to many people who dont know how to control a car if it steps out a bit, or slight understeer, come badly unstuck trying just to go fast or grip.

the point of it is so you learn weight balance, driveline loading, braking distances ect first and have decent control over your car, instead of being a toy and basically just being able to just keep the car facing in the right direction skidding around a corner

that said, once you can do this, donuts are teh best way to start :)

Richard
8th June 2010, 10:22 AM
lsd, some stiff suspension, No re treads, and practise, practise, practise. Dont just go into a corner and do a full lock and slam the accelerator down. otherwise you might as well get back in the VN and tell everyone you can drift

PRIMRK
12th June 2010, 08:58 PM
Ok I got LSD stiff suspention a supercharger and rx7 brakes, the car is driftable. I'll be at the next winton practice day (funds allowing) on the beginers track, any one wanting a laugh at noob drifters come along and give me some tips!

eastcoastdrifter
14th June 2010, 02:14 AM
http://www.projectddriftschool.com.au/

sprinter666
14th June 2010, 02:43 PM
ill prob be there love to ride along if im not guna be on the track and help if i can, i was taught alot by new guys slightly better so hit them up they wont pull out fully sik dori lingo on u and some of the more advanced guys i asked were just like... i dunno i just do it, so it does become instinct after a while.

as stated drift donuts are big win, do both ways to get used to going to the left, to minimise chances of crashing i did this as a noob scared to slam it into corners, just approach slow and use ur hanbrake to enter and get ur entry down then go lile faster try and get mid corner down etc till u get enough speed to finish it off, kept me relatively safe.

grip racing might be worth it i can drift but i by no means can go fast around a track so could help u never know but since ull be pushing grip limits know how to counter steer so u dont spear off into walls.

PRIMRK
14th June 2010, 06:27 PM
Just got a copy of the drift bible from supercheap auto for $10, so worth not having to w8 for youtube to load!

Sprinter666: if you could come for a ride with me and give me some blow by blow what to do/what not to do that would be awesome!

dirty_86
14th June 2010, 08:08 PM
I did a driver dynamics beginner drift day at sandown.
They wet the track and teach u how to handle different corners, transitions, handbrakies, etc.
It's good as there is heaps of run off and they have instructors ride with u.
You can check it out on their website, driverdynamics.com or something like that.
But honestly everything they taught, I had already learned after watching drift bible and practicing on quiet rainy nights on the street.

PRIMRK
14th June 2010, 08:17 PM
Driver dynamics have intro drift days?!?

sprinter666
14th June 2010, 11:13 PM
for sure man keep im mind i know how to slide my car teaching sum1 else if diff story but i got taught a bit by a mate at winton was way better then a pro teaching me shit i didnt understand and fund allowing if im on ill hope on the practise track and show u difference in my carand how i manage it, apparently my style is flail drift as im all over the place but ill be learning all over again as im ripping my 4ac out atm and puttin in a 4ag