Ham86
2nd June 2010, 10:38 PM
Hey guys.
does anyone firstly if u can get 16-8"s on na 1983 sprinter which has 13-5"s
if so how hard is it and what do ya have to do

sorry nooby question:bones:

Cerby86
2nd June 2010, 10:57 PM
first step is to go to supercheap and buy a 20L plastic container, then stop past a ship chandlery or at a pinch a fishing shop and buy a night time use hand held flare, though i suppose a parachute flare would work too. On your way home fill the container with fuel.
When you get home pour the petrol all over your car. I'd say 75% inside 25% outside. Stand back and throw the lit flare through the window.
By a lancer/r33/wrx and put your wheels on that car.

LOL

sundee
2nd June 2010, 10:59 PM
for starters, welcome champ, OTOMOTO (site sponsor) sell rota grid's which are 16 x 8, but for an NA sprinter stick with 14's.
and its all about as hard as changing a busted tyre.
go for a 14 x 8 or something similar is staying 4a NA.

Sam-Q
2nd June 2010, 11:04 PM
people have fitted much bigger before. What your asking depends on the offset. But yeah roll the gaurds and get the right profile rubber and it would be fine

Cerby86
2nd June 2010, 11:16 PM
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?4136-Medwin-s-3sGTE-AE86-Photo-OVERLOAD&highlight=medwin

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/4/3/9762.jpg

this is the only good example (other that actual race/drift cars) that i can think of. The thread is worth a read, the guy had a bit an attitude and people seemed to have issues with him but he did do very good work with that ae86

sundee
3rd June 2010, 12:14 AM
i think 16's are fine if your after just looks, but your NA 4a will struggle to get them spinning with good rubber

Sam-Q
3rd June 2010, 12:17 AM
assuming he wants to actually spin them

Ham86
3rd June 2010, 12:46 AM
i think 16's are fine if your after just looks, but your NA 4a will struggle to get them spinning with good rubber

4age not A :)

hachi_dk
3rd June 2010, 01:54 AM
lol......................

86coupe
3rd June 2010, 08:29 AM
Stains car. 16x7.5 +12 front, 16x8.5 +17 rear. Has flared guards, but that's because its got extra track. I don't like the look of these wheels much, but it goes bloody fast. Tyre tuck makes it look lower than it is too, but exaggerated at the rear in this pic as its going full throttle from a stop.

http://stain.id.au/blue86/171-Attack.jpg

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?8112-Kor!

ke70dave
3rd June 2010, 11:04 AM
if you keep the same rolling diameter (difficult to do on larger wheels, need to get crazy low profile tyres) then im pretty sure the ability to spin them doesnt change, and may even be "easier" to spin.

the arguement being that on larger wheels there is more weight towards the outside of the wheel (moment of inertia is changed)

however if you use light weight 16/17" wheels (NOT rotor grids) but SSR's or *insert light weight wheel*

and since you would need such a low profile tyre, thus less weight towards outside of wheel, then there is a chance that using the larger wheel/tyre combo may have a less moment of inertia, and thus be "easier" to spin.

i cannot confirm this, but it would be an interesting experiment to do.

sundee
3rd June 2010, 12:26 PM
4age not A :)

Brave 2nd post. lol

i like what your saying dave, but wont an increased rolling diameter require a larger initial force to gain the same movement?
also keeping in mind that unless u spend big $$ on wheels your gaining weight aswell

ke70dave
3rd June 2010, 12:49 PM
it all depends on the the Polar moment of inertia.

(Polar moment of inertia is a quantity used to predict an object's ability to resist torsion, in objects (or segments of objects) with an invariant circular cross section and no significant warping or out-of-plane deformation) stolen from wiki.

which is a quantitative measurment of the "ease" of turning an item with a torque applied.

this value is difficult to calculate for a complex cross section of a mag wheel, with spokes etc. easily done with a 3d model though.

it is all about the placement of the mass within the object in relation to its position relative to the centre of the rotation. this is important for what you said sundee as if the wheel is "light" and thus there is less mass on the "larger diameter" then it may be the same as having a larget mass with a "smaller diameter" may have the same effect, thus the change to polar moment of inertia (ease of spinning) is negligable.

a common example we are all aware of, take a broom for example. grab hold if the end with the stick and try and spin it around with your wrist (like a fire twirler) now grab hold of the end with the bristles on it, and try and spin it around with your wrist. you know that this is going to be "easier" since the mass is closer to the centre of rotation.

a small mass further away from the centre of rotation can have the same effect as a larger mass closer the the centre of rotation.

now this is a little of track, but what im trying to say is that simply saying "bigger wheels are harder to turn" is wrong. but like you said bigger light wheels are going to be expensive....

edite with more info:

been chatting with a guy from the office here, and he tells me there there is hardly any material in the sideall of a tyre. the bead of the tyre makes up a fair percent of the weight with alot of wire and rubber, and of course the tread contains alot of high tensile wire with alot of rubber.

so by moving from a 14" to a 16" wheel, the bead and of course the outer "rim" of the wheel is moved further away from the centre of rotation by 1"

so it would seem that my initial thoughts are wrong, mainly due to the fact i overestimated the amount of material in the sidewall that would be lost by using a lower profile tyre.

so it would seem that that changing to a larger wheel/tyre combo is detromental to the polar moment of inertia (and its "ease" to turn. but larger wheels do allow bigger brakes and with a reduced sidewall come with reduced sidewall flex.

so like most things its a trade off.

Sam-Q
3rd June 2010, 02:02 PM
A 205/40/16 is within 1.3% of the diameter so virtually the same and should be readily available.

http://www.1010tires.com/tiresizecalculator.asp

sundee
3rd June 2010, 04:15 PM
GO dave! good read fella ;)

Ham86
3rd June 2010, 06:53 PM
cheers guys.
it also dosn't have a AC can i get one installed or is that to hard and wont fit or somecrap

Sam-Q
3rd June 2010, 11:58 PM
did you do a search on that?

squish_m8
4th June 2010, 12:12 AM
cheers guys.
it also dosn't have a AC can i get one installed or is that to hard and wont fit or somecrap

I'd go for the somecrap option.

you can do just about anything you just need to spend the $$$