PDA

View Full Version : What is the reason behind wearing Pplates?

Pidgey
17th June 2010, 08:02 PM
Hey guys,

I'm doing a persuasive speach on P platers for an english assignment. The point I'm trying to get across is that the P plate is just a revenue raiser and it does nothing for vehicle accidents, and that if the government wanted to actually curb our road toll they would invest in driver education.... But they don't because that wouldn't make money.
So here's for the question. What is the reason behind wearing a white peice of plastic with a red or green upper-case P on it on our cars?

Please, no stupid bollocks, and don't flame me kents!!!

dori_86
17th June 2010, 08:11 PM
to inform the public that you are a provisional licensed driver and that they my need to give you more room/attention/patient as you are still learning etc thats why some states there is P1 and P2, so if you havent broken any traffic rules you are allow to drive on a provisional license without having to display p-plates... well thats my understanding of displaying p-plates

-------------
also i did a similar essay on this subject awhile back, be careful when looking at data to see if they are including passengers (ie not just the driver in the results) as this affects the under 20 category for accidents/deaths etc?

rthy
17th June 2010, 08:11 PM
its to indicate your on probationary license?

maybe talk about this
http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/forums/showthread.php?19005-A-vouch-speedlimit-changes-in-aus

Fusion
17th June 2010, 08:17 PM
Also to indicated why you may be doing a slower speed, as I think you are restricted to certain speed limits on your P's aren't you? Not to sure state by state sorry

Pidgey
17th June 2010, 08:17 PM
If the only reason of these plates is to indicate to other motorists that the P plater is still learning, then why don't other people have a sign on their windows saying "I don't check my mirrors or my blind spot before coming into your lane" or "I follow way too close, so please be considerate when i slam on my brakes"?

Fusion
17th June 2010, 08:20 PM
Ah, but that could to an extent be argued that people should be more aware of their surroundings whislt driving at all times, even though it is not neccesary. I know personally when driving I will check about 2 - 3 cars ahead, what the car is doing next to me and what the car behind me is doing as much as possible. Might be a bit anal, but it usuall helps me to determine what the traffic is / or going to do at all times

dori_86
17th June 2010, 08:21 PM
i know some insurance companies did, not sure if they still do? but thet offer free/cheap driver training courses to new drivers, and as a reward if they complete the course they get cheaper insurance, so you could say that insurance companies have already identified the problem and are actively trying to fix it with increased training above government requirements?

...sorry to whore just thinking of all the research i was able to get

Pidgey
17th June 2010, 08:34 PM
You're not whoring, you're helping :)
I've done a two day driver training course. Helped me immensely, and I met some pretty awesome drivers.
If there were a set of data recorded, like how many P platers are pulled over by police in relation to open licence holders, I'm sure the results would be pretty convincing that P platers are a target group.
Punishing the majority for the actions of a minority.

Fusion
17th June 2010, 08:38 PM
Not to sre if this would help your argument or not, but what about a point where the elderly have a plate on their vechile. I'm not neccesarily trying to judge anyone in particular, as some older drivers can be better than those younger. However some elderly drivers are shocking. Take corners at 10Kmph, drive under the speed limit, etc. Would you consider them a danger themselves that they would need plates displayed to warn drivers similar to how a P plate does.

Sorry if none of this helps. Just trying to brainstorm for your argument :P

Pidgey
17th June 2010, 08:48 PM
They actually do that in J-land.
Called "fukushi" or something.

Fusion
17th June 2010, 08:49 PM
Theres a basis for the argument than, if its already be instated in another Country. If you do go further with that point, maybe do some more research into how "J-Land" implemented it and why . . etc etc

Pidgey
17th June 2010, 09:31 PM
Ok, so like 1200 words later and I now have a pretty shweet persuasive speach.
Credit goes to Dori_86 for the driver training course idea,
and to Fusion for the elderly plates idea. And for the fact that he drives a Mira :)
Cheers guys.

KurtHS
17th June 2010, 10:06 PM
Just to add that in Victoria we have red and green P's and on red P's you can't carry more than one passenger between 16-21 (roughly) unless they're your sibling, so that would play a part in having to display plates also.

Nicko
18th June 2010, 08:56 AM
Glad all this faggotry only came into play after I got onto my opens 10 years ago.

Back then you only had to display your L plates in QLD.

And nobody gave a rats ass about P platers. Now they be hatin.

marvis
18th June 2010, 11:09 AM
I just made this.. I think it explains everything.

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/7440/ja9fj9rx.jpg

Richard
18th June 2010, 11:24 AM
nice one marv

Twinky
18th June 2010, 11:46 AM
So true, We wear P plates so that the police know where to find thier next pay check. Without those plates they would have to just randomly pull over cars.\
Load of bullshite.

driftke70
18th June 2010, 12:20 PM
its so people think the government is pro active.

Funnily enough cops give p platers less patience and expect them to know everything and fine them
everything in the book as they know 9 times out of 10 the parents will pay and assume their child is in
the wrong.

Like its 200 dollars now to be pulled over without your drivers license on you. They have all the info
on their computer anyway.

As nick said glad i didnt have to do any of the p plater bullshit

ke70dave
18th June 2010, 12:49 PM
200 bucks for no license???

damn....thats rediculous. how can they possibly justify that? what use is a peice of laminated paper? having some form of ID is a good idea to have on you at all times (if you have a crash in your car, and are unconscious etc, so they know who you are). but if I genuinly forget to pick up their wallet (example, i pick up my brother from the train station at 11pm, 2min drive away) i dont think that a 200$ fine is needed.

btw does this 200$ fine apply to people on their opens? i thought you had 24hrs to turn up to a polic shop with your laminated peice of paper.

i too am glad i got my license before this p-plate rubbish came in in QLD. all the crap with the log-book, 4-million hours of driving required. its all rediculous.

only good thing is, it is driving the price of turbo cars down, since p-platers can no longer drive them!

driftke70
18th June 2010, 12:58 PM
yeah regardless of your driving class 200 shmackas, hasnt happened to me but heard a few people being done.

its just the same, how random is a random breath test?
not random at all its a law they implemented so they could pull who ever they wanted over.

it is true about turbos being cheaper, some p platers are even buying turbos and pulling the turbo stuff off and putting it back on later.

driftke70
18th June 2010, 01:05 PM
people wanna keep voting labor, this shits going to keep happening
http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/7403159/qld-cops-to-issue-fines-for-swearing-in-public/