PDA

View Full Version : nokia booklet 3g

driftke70
20th June 2010, 08:08 PM
As there is alot of apple jive going on in here i thought i would make people aware of other products in the market I deem as superior. Many go overlooked as they dont have the absolutely crap hyped out of them.

This nokia booklet 3g was first released in late 2009 and its abilities far surpass the ipad.

available for under 600 dollars they are not only cheaper, they are better made and featured.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Nokia-Booklet-3G-1-6GHz-10-1in-HDMI-GPS-HD-WF-White-NEW-/250652496688?cmd=ViewItem&pt=Laptops_Nov05&hash=item3a5c0d9330

stand out features include:
3usb ports
hdmi output
12 hour battery life (16cell Li-Ion prismatic, removable design)
120gb hard drive
1280 x 720 HD glass display
full keyboard
1.6ghz processor
1gb ddr2 ram upgradeable to 2 or 4gb.
1.25kg
sim card slot for 3g internet and calling
wifi/wlan
1.3mp camera
aluminium construction
GPS reciever (not to be confused with assisted gps like ipad that needs the internet to function)
Accelerometer
comes with headphones (ipad doesnt)
windows 7 with symbian ability (can use phone apps as well as all the functions of a normal pc based windows 7)

http://conversations.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/Nokia-Booklet-3G-colours.jpg
http://conversations.nokia.com/wp-content/uploads/Nokia-Booklet-3G-camera.jpg

so to briefly compare to the ipad
ipad starts from $629 (16gb no 3g)

to compare properly to this device the ipad version with 64gb hd and 3g is $1049.

ipad has 1ghz processor
booklet has 1.6

ipad has 256mb ram
booklet has 1gb (readyboost upgradeable by 4gb with a flash drive)

ipad has a 10hour battery with no 3g
booklet is over 10hours with 3g and is removable

ipad has 9.7 inch 1024-by-768 screen
booklet has 10.1”, 1280×720 pixels, glass window HD screen

ipad (H242.8mm x W189.7mm x D13.4mm 0.75KG)
booklet (H264mm x W185mm x D19.9 mm 1.25KG)

ipad has gps via wifi only
booklet has full gps

ipad 16/32/64gb storage
booklet 120gb with 1x32gb sd expansion and 3x unlimited usb expansion

ipad has a apple 30-pin dock connector/3.5mm headphone jack/micro sim card tray on 3g versions)
booklet has hdmi/3xusb 2.0/3.5mm headphone mic jack/ sim tray/ USIM slot/ dc in (charging does not remove the use of a usb plug)

ipad no camera
booklet 1.3mp camera (image and webcam capability)

ipad has touch keyboard with multitouch screen
booklet has full keyboard and touch pad with swipe to scroll (images and browsers)/zoom

ipad must receive files through bluetooth or itunes sync
booklet transfers files through usb drag and drop, wireless transfer, bluetooth

ke70dave
20th June 2010, 09:18 PM
thats a pretty neat device.

but its just a netbook with a nokia sticker? and a 3g wireless thing built in.

driftke70
20th June 2010, 09:29 PM
no more so than an apple computer is a pc with a different operating system and some clear acrylic shrunk over it.

ke70dave
21st June 2010, 09:32 AM
so in this instance one could conclude that nokia is no more innovative than apple...

also i have tried out that "Ready boost" function in windows 7, its not that great and you do need a pretty flash USB drive to make it work (hehe get my pun?)

driftke70
21st June 2010, 12:02 PM
or that all companies put money of differing amounts into different areas.

nokia makes like 20 phones for 20 different kind of people
apple make 1 or 2.

nokias advertising is significant but not outrageous
apples advertising is outrageous

still yet to see an ipad in the wild

AJPS
21st June 2010, 11:17 PM
good thread!~

Konakid
21st June 2010, 11:49 PM
so in this instance one could conclude that nokia is no more innovative than apple...

also i have tried out that "Ready boost" function in windows 7, its not that great and you do need a pretty flash USB drive to make it work (hehe get my pun?)

Apple innovate things that dont need innovating.

Decent, quality products dont need cheesy, in your face marketing. But holy shit a lot of people fall for it.

letsgohunting
22nd June 2010, 04:30 PM
Apple innovate things that dont need innovating.

Just want to point out a few things that come to mind in the least argumentative way possible in regards to this, in the form of previous (and infamous) technology predictions:

1. "Inventions have long since reached their limit, and I see no hope for further developments," said Roman engineer Julius Sextus Frontinus in 10 A.D.

2. Charles Duell, commissioner for the U.S. Patent Office, in 1899 said, "Everything that can be invented has already been invented."

3. "The Americans have need of the telephone, but we do not. We have plenty of messenger boys," Sir William Preece, chief engineer at the British Post Office, 1878.

4. "Who the hell wants to hear actors talk?" H.M. Warner, Warner Bros., 1927.

5. "I think there is a world market for maybe five computers," Thomas Watson, chairman of IBM, 1943.

6. "Television won't be able to hold on to any market it captures after the first six months. People will soon get tired of staring at a plywood box every night," Darryl Zanuck, 20th Century Fox, 1946

7. "The world potential market for copying machines is 5,000 at most," IBM executives to the eventual founders of Xerox, 1959

8. "There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home," Ken Olsen, founder of mainframe-producer Digital Equipment Corp., 1977.

9. "Next Christmas the iPod will be dead, finished, gone, kaput," Sir Alan Sugar, British entrepreneur, 2005.

Similarly, what people said about the ipod when it was first released:
http://www.edibleapple.com/what-people-said-about-the-ipod-when-it-was-first-announced/

Innovation is incremental and unpredictable. For instance people saying the ipad is not innovative. I would describe innovation (in technology) as something which holds significant weight to changing how tasks are performed on a global basis. No, the ipad isn't the first tablet, but I'd be fairly confident in saying that it's the first to make a significant impact on a large scale to the personal computer market.

Innovation isn't always about new ideas, it's also about re-defining current ones, and that can sometimes be more difficult than something completely new. In my mind, the iphone was innovative more for how it worked than what it did, (advanced capacitive touchscreen negating the need for stylus, versatile and useful multi-touch gesturing, GUI implementation - simple but powerful etc) in the same way that fuel injection superseded the carburetor (smoother, more fuel efficient, more precise, less maintenance, cheaper to produce etc) The carburetor didn't really need innovating - it worked fine how it was. I know when fuel injection came out a lot of people were asking the same question - wether it was actually innovation or just something that didn't really need to be done. The answer lies in the fact that all new cars now utilize fuel injection rather than carbs. Not dissimilar to the iphone. It's innovative impact can be quantified by the insanely quick consumer response and how quickly it took a hold the high end phone market. There's no doubt that OS's like android are a response to apples OS used in the iphone, and there's no doubt that the majority of tech that the iphone brought to the mass market will eventually trickle down to the lower end of the market as well. It's highly likely that in 5 years time all phones will be touchscreen with similar OS/GUI experiences as apple OS and android. In the same sense, it's highly likely that in 5 years personal computing tablets will be used and accepted as a genuine alternative/replacement (only time will tell) to the regular personal computer, and sold in (at least) similar numbers, but most likely more. The device that would have started that shift in the market is the ipad.

That's IMO a pretty good example of innovation.