PDA

View Full Version : RT142 QuattroPorte "the white lady"

roadsailing
1st July 2010, 10:53 PM
So i dont have a garage, and my sprinter only wants to live in a garage, so its miles away until i get a garage where it will live and get all the noisy fast shit a sprinter wants and needs.

So until then I have this so I don't have to walk (was looking at R33s but this came up and i couldn't refuse) was pretty cheap, got RWC very easily and regoed just as easy.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/47865.jpg

http://img97.imageshack.us/img97/7071/underbodywaysmallerflat.jpg

underbody stitched shot, might have to replace some of the bits of rust with bits of exhaust pipe, as its 40mm and exhausts start at 2 inch.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/47867.jpg

comes with extremely rare jellybean wheels, which I didn;t like at first but are goring on me. I measured them up and they are pretty decent for wheels that came bolted to a car, 14X6 inch +5ish offset, 15X8 0 offset should fit without any trouble at all, but i'll lower it with these wheels first to make sure.

so far it has been great, spent an afternoon rewiring the stereo and found a bunch of shit a previous owner put in, some crossovers, chopped up RCA cables, almost enough amp power cable to go from the firewall to the boot (pricks) my amplifier is on the way to power the sub I had in my other car, need some better speakers for the front and maybe some to fill the holes in the parcel shelf.

needs lowering a bit and the seat doesn't go back far enough, maybe some stupid mods as time and sanity allow.

some mockups with a more palatable ride height and without the jellybeans

http://img132.imageshack.us/img132/2629/bbombrona.jpg

konig Bbombs, looke like SSR Mk3s but cheaper, 15 X 7.5 inch 0 offset, could be more spokey, might look better in 14 inch if they use the same centres.

http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8563/steelierona.jpg

black steelies, this idea would be cool but I got a quote to make some 15s into 8" zero offset wheels and they said it was going to be $150 a rim, so forget that idea.

http://i48.tinypic.com/14dd739.jpg

new wheel

and this is the size difference compared to standard

http://i47.tinypic.com/35kvezc.jpg

surprisingly it is now a lot easier to steer than before, and the extra knee room is good also.

Next mod is probably a home made strut brace, and it needs to get lowered at some stage, only to the limit allowed by standard shocks as i can't be bothered with coilover conversions again.

biggo
2nd July 2010, 06:08 PM
Stop the presses, everyone should stop buying corona's cos now i want one.

what happened to the 86? havent seen or heard anything about it in awhile.

roadsailing
2nd July 2010, 06:27 PM
Stop the presses, everyone should stop buying corona's cos now i want one.

what happened to the 86? havent seen or heard anything about it in awhile.

yeah coronas are the new ketos. i didn't want to do anything to this one but i can see it happening anyway.

crashed the sprinter at winton, got it fixed and painted, got crashed in to on the street, got it kinda fixed then went to dubai for 18 months. want to fix it properly, fully strip down the front end and straighten everything. Still looking at getting a skyline or similar as a street car, but this does the job for now.

Dunno if it is uncommon but it seems to be using around 15 litres per hundred Ks "city" driving, which is a bit shit. now the fuel gauge is working again i think i will do a proper economy calculation, the extra fuel it uses over a year would probably fund an SR20 conversion (or 1UZFE)

AJPS
2nd July 2010, 06:34 PM
they use like 7l/100kms when pushed for a fair bit of it.

Henry did 2 tanks back to back...

Looks cool tho

keiichi
2nd July 2010, 08:45 PM
awesome, another rona fan :D
my old one did almost 700km per tank on a long highway drive like going from byron bay to sydney. that was after some breathing mods, weight reduction and removing the things that put exhaust and head gasses back into the intake.
where you from?

keiichi
2nd July 2010, 08:46 PM
oh and mandatory 'dump it and lock the diff'

Konakid
2nd July 2010, 09:38 PM
New ke70, lol!

I get about 8.5/100 daily through peak hour and bit of thrashing

RRX-007
3rd July 2010, 05:34 PM
everyones getting rona's. lol. heaps better than a ke imo.

looks clean as man. :)

roadsailing
3rd July 2010, 07:25 PM
looks clean as man. :)

cheers, its one of the cleaner ones I have seen, apart from the moss growing on it. I'm planning on letting the natural patina develop :)

RRX-007
3rd July 2010, 07:59 PM
haha free paint job.
is it a 22re one?

roadsailing
3rd July 2010, 08:13 PM
is it a 22re one?

big block you bet! its actually pretty decent, not amazing but fast enough. kinda glad it doesn't have IRS too in a way, and from reading on this site the bog warmer diff is stronger than i thought.

RRX-007
3rd July 2010, 08:27 PM
yeh i love mine. enough power to be able to slide. :)
as if irs wins. so much smoother than previous cars. lol.

keiichi
3rd July 2010, 09:52 PM
yeh i love mine. enough power to be able to slide. :)
as if irs wins. so much smoother than previous cars. lol.

you're doing it wrong

Konakid
3rd July 2010, 11:37 PM
Borgwarner is a joke my second diff is about to die and ive hardly thrashed this one

I could kill one in a night, easy.

Get an F series up ya.

roadsailing
9th July 2010, 05:33 PM
just picked these up from my friendly laser cutter (and 8 more thanks to their minimum order quantity)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/48511.jpg
wondering what colour to paint it, black would fade away nicely, i have a spray can of AE86 metallic clearcoat flaking off blue somewhere, might use that

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/48512.jpg

heaps of clearance so i can weld the cross brace straight to the rings without worrying about hitting the engine, but will load it up stationary to see if it hits all the same.

Would be very easy to make the brace triangulated, probably overkill but i might do that.

keiichi
9th July 2010, 06:29 PM
Borgwarner is a joke my second diff is about to die and ive hardly thrashed this one

I could kill one in a night, easy.

Get an F series up ya.

my borg warner lasted for about 2 years locked (only 22re) but it received massive abuse and eventually the tailshaft snapped off

keiichi
9th July 2010, 06:32 PM
in my honest opinion strut brace needs to have a center turnbuckle and be wound in pretty tight - or - welded strut tower -> firewall -> strut tower - due to how the body moves under turning (strut towers pull away from each other)

*edit* nice work on the strut brace though looks strong

roadsailing
9th July 2010, 07:14 PM
in my honest opinion strut brace needs to have a center turnbuckle and be wound in pretty tight - or - welded strut tower -> firewall -> strut tower - due to how the body moves under turning (strut towers pull away from each other)

*edit* nice work on the strut brace though looks strong

lol that's just dummied up, bought some steel plated gold (would want to be at the price i paid) 15mm square tube but it seems too flimsy, the bit sitting there is 20mm and its a lot sturdier. The reason i'm not planning to use a turnbuckle is while it makes more sense i;m not 100% convinced that the towers move away from each other, so if you put it in in the cars neutral state it should just stop anything moving anywhere.

Konakid
9th July 2010, 07:14 PM
Was talking bout open, crown wheels work loose, locked is prob fine like all borgwarners.

keiichi
9th July 2010, 07:32 PM
Was talking bout open, crown wheels work loose, locked is prob fine like all borgwarners.

by crown wheels (wheel?) do you mean spider gears?

makes sense actually, cause when i went to weld mine they were actually coming loose

rt142shauno
13th July 2010, 08:47 PM
my borg warner lasted for about 2 years locked (only 22re) but it received massive abuse and eventually the tailshaft snapped off

ummmm I've got a 1GGTE in mine and even after getting thrashed non stop by the previous owner and my trips to the drags strip and the occasional skid it's only now starting to get to the point where its starting to open up and favour one wheel. but thats launching from a stand still in second............

I've got a carby fed 2.0 auto sedan sitting in the backyard i have contemplated swapping it into the back end of fine in favour of the IRS. Opions????

keiichi
13th July 2010, 09:35 PM
if you have irs in there atm putting live axle in would be far from easy, let alone a better option. i personally prefer live axle but irs, i dunno, its more stable? lol

peoples diffs fuck up because they dont put oil in them, put them back together properly, dont replace seals etc im not suprised yours hasnt died even with a 1g-gte :) but having said that, if its irs its not borg warner and better made to begin with.

roadsailing
13th July 2010, 11:04 PM
well this one is live axle already, so it will stay live. maybe even something that you can get LSDs for, another nodiff would be fun.

keiichi
14th July 2010, 09:14 PM
i think you need something like one of those tarago diffs to make corona lsd... or, i heard once upon a time and also saw in zoom mag you can use r31 diff (amount of fab req im not sure).
as far as drift goes (if thats your intention), a decent tight lsd is basically the same as a locker anyway except less reliable.

greenmac80
16th July 2010, 07:19 PM
for the strut brace go round tube. round tube of the same wall thickness and approx diameter is MUCH stronger. and is quite cheap to purchase.
should be able to get an off cut from somewhere like Hills. To weld it to the plates just flatten off the ends gradually. then weld.

or you can just flatten the bottom to get a nice contact surface without reducing the strength as much.

roadsailing
16th July 2010, 09:49 PM
in tension round is no stronger than square for a given linear mass, i'll try to get some round for general buggering around/trial fitting but square will be easier to work with (cut ends to suit and box in the remaining bits, as it won't join completely to the plate otherwise) Flattening the ends removed the advantage of round tube somewhat. Might still triangulate it so i will make it with this in mind.

Round will look better though!

Oh it sounds like I have an exhaust leak, hopefully its not the manifold as this will be an excuse to build a lobster tailed 2 or 2.25 inch exhaust with stupid stuff like a hooker aerochamber muffler :P only problem is i like how it is quiet now, haven't heard a loud 22RE that sounds good yet.

roadsailing
17th August 2010, 10:04 PM
Did a bit of work to the thing today, fitted the towbar i rescued from the spiders beside the shed of the guy who i bought it from, few issues but overall very easy to do. looks a bit odd on but i think its all good. Unbolting the tongue makes it look like a normal corona so i didn't spoil the lovely looks either.

vacuumed all the leaves, shit and bits of insulation out of the boot, discovered a lake of hydraulic fluid originating from the clutch master cylinder and trial fitted some new strut brace plates, 3mm instead of 4mm which fit quite nicely and are 25%ish lighter.

Inspired by the recent bosozuko trend in australia i fitted an embellishment using a toyota badge that a mate stole from pickapart, will have tpo get a photo of it.

keiichi
17th August 2010, 10:32 PM
i fitted an embellishment using a toyota badge that a mate stole from pickapart, will have tpo get a photo of it.

i lol'd - steal-a-part

macca1590
18th August 2010, 08:34 PM
i just put a new clutch master in my bad girl today, must be a 80's toyota thing, my old mk3 supra did the same thing and was 400 times more of a pain in the ass to change too

greenmac80
24th August 2010, 11:20 PM
suss my thread i have pics of the strut brace i built.. cost me $53 all up.. the top plates are getting redesigned once i get the laser cut ones.
but all up it took about an hour to build. jst to give ya an idea.

roadsailing
26th August 2010, 01:44 AM
nice pics, they are even worse than the ones here i took with my phone :P

have done a few things,

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/51828.jpg

halfway through towbar install, pretty easy to fit.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/51829.jpg

standard, boring gearknob.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/51830.jpg

much better, pity it looks like a white cue ball. (it isn't)

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/51831.jpg

boso inspired hanging logo, i'm sure it looks awesome on the highway.

marvis
26th August 2010, 11:23 AM
Boso inspired? It's just a "drift toy"

keiichi
26th August 2010, 01:18 PM
haha marvis, the boso police :P

roadsailing
26th August 2010, 02:02 PM
well i could never understand why Australians living in Australia use Japanese hang rings on their Japanese cars, there are plenty of Australian forms of public transport waiting to be vandalised.

Though on the other shoe, Japanese people who own SS utes etc would want proper VB barmats from Australia, Kirin, asahi etc ones just wouldnt be the same.

really needs slammed and wheels now. or replacing.

roadsailing
4th October 2010, 04:07 PM
finally got the strut brace made, used Gal tube because I had a bit that was the right length, big mistake as my welding is shit enough at the best of times. turned out OK in the end.

I cut the ends of the tube at a 45 degree angle, welded them closed with steel plate, positioned the brace centrally and with a bit of a gap to allow access to the inside strut top bolts, tacked the bar to the plates, then removed, fully welded and painted. Thought it might be hard to get back on as the strut tops are tilted in towards each other but it slid on with only a bit of hand thumping.

http://img412.imageshack.us/img412/8505/strutbracepaintedsmall.jpg

hanging in the spray booth

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/54128.jpg

no idea why this is so blurry.

http://www.ae86drivingclub.com.au/dcimages/5/4/5/6/54129.jpg

plenty of clearance to the inlet manifold.

took it for a quick drive and can't really spot any difference, seems a bit easier to steer though. i really need some mountain passes nearby so i can test things better.

blusil
6th October 2010, 10:06 AM
Great job on the strut brace, interested in making me one, and 4000000000 other people?

roadsailing
6th October 2010, 04:19 PM
Great job on the strut brace, interested in making me one, and 4000000000 other people?

why yes, yes i am. i got the plates laser cut and they came up excellently, only thing i'm not sure about is how to allow for individual variation between cars (or even how much variation there is between cars, have to do a survey at pickapart) could always put a turnbuckle arrangement in but that would add cost, complexity and things.

Pidgey
6th October 2010, 05:01 PM
well i could never understand why Australians living in Australia use Japanese hang rings on their Japanese cars, there are plenty of Australian forms of public transport waiting to be vandalised.
At least get an Australian bus hang ring then, not a silly Toyota badge secured with a ziptie.
Hang rings are more to show a certain "attitude", rather then to look cool. Also, it should be the last thing to go on to a car, like the icing on the cake.
Make sure it dances on the ground too :)

roadsailing
6th October 2010, 05:09 PM
It was the last thing to go on, right after the moss and bird shit.

blusil
7th October 2010, 01:07 PM
why yes, yes i am. i got the plates laser cut and they came up excellently, only thing i'm not sure about is how to allow for individual variation between cars (or even how much variation there is between cars, have to do a survey at pickapart) could always put a turnbuckle arrangement in but that would add cost, complexity and things.

I have the exact same model carona (avante, so one eggzachery the same would be sweet.I have measured the distance betrween my strut towers then compared it to a borked rona at the wreckers and it was the same.

roadsailing
7th October 2010, 01:41 PM
I have the exact same model carona (avante, so one eggzachery the same would be sweet.I have measured the distance betrween my strut towers then compared it to a borked rona at the wreckers and it was the same.

cool, if i end up making these for people i'd get them to measure before making it up, or suggest they get their car panel beaten until it fits, lol.

mine isn't an avante, its the bog warmer version.

blusil
8th October 2010, 10:36 AM
cool let me know when you are keen and will send some $$