PDA

View Full Version : Case of BEER for help locking my diff?

keiichi
6th July 2010, 01:57 PM
Do you like beer?

Good...

Because I need some help with my car :)

Looking for help with locking my diff.... done it heaps of times, just moved to Sydney recently and don't have the tools required. To lock a corona diff the center must be removed and and taken apart and welded while outside the car then put back together.

Will shout case of beer for a hand doing this, I'm happy to do the welding and such, even have my own welder with super high tensile rods if required.

The main obstacle is getting the center apart... a rattle gun is required... I even have that, just don't have an air compressor.

Process...

Jack car up, drop diff down, remove backing plate and drain oil, remove wheels and calipers, remove bearing house, pop the axles (sledge hammer or heat maybe required, have heat gun dont have lpg tank :P ), remove panhard, remove inner clamps that hold the centre in, clean centre, remove crown wheel (rattle gun required).... etc etc.

Alternatively, I can remove the centre and bring it to someone?

Let me know

Cheers

Zac

meadan
6th July 2010, 06:19 PM
if you have the welder and can remove the centre, what do you need help with?

I can weld it up if youre willing to drive the centre out to liverpool :)

Alternatively you could borrow my smaller air compressor for the day...

keiichi
6th July 2010, 06:44 PM
basically just getting the centre open... might remove that first and then see how i go

meadan
6th July 2010, 07:00 PM
ah ok, ive found the trusty random extend-o-pole breaker bar has guaranteed success with all my diffs.

If the diff has a backing plate can you just weld the centre while its in?

rhys2229
6th July 2010, 08:12 PM
yeh pretty sure you can weld it without taking the centre out, i've got a makita impact driver not sure if theres any sockets that would fit that though

keiichi
6th July 2010, 10:12 PM
the center is completely closed in corona diffs don't ask me why :P , there are two holes just next to the left hand side roller bearing that are about 10x4mil each that see through to the back of one of the spider gears... otherwise, the crown wheel has to be removed then the center has to be 'split' in two so you can get to the spider gears. once open, you can only weld half of the center if you intend to get it back together and once back together you weld the two small holes very hot. even then, unless you do a very thorough job the welds may break but it remains locked ofcourse. this is the only way to do it.
once the center is out also, getting the bolts that hold it together out is tough to impossible without a rattle gun and/or a decent vice. i just had an idea though, i guess i could 'break' those bolts while the center is still in the housing and the pinion holds it in place. bad for first gear? probably not.
how-ever, this is my first time dealing with a disc rear end borg warner corona diff maybe (read hopefully) the center is open, another realisation i had while writing this.

Rice86
7th July 2010, 12:01 PM
lol......

keiichi
7th July 2010, 12:20 PM
well you know when something seems like a difficult task or complicated but when you word it out/discuss it/write it out it smooths it out a bit.

still probably going to have to take the centre somewhere though.

ill-ke70
2nd September 2010, 12:39 PM
Depends what beer dude... Nah jokes wish i could help man i got a mate to do mine but he moved to QLD.. All the best

rdae86
2nd September 2010, 01:44 PM
He did it already brother.

keiichi
6th September 2010, 08:48 PM
Depends what beer dude... Nah jokes wish i could help man i got a mate to do mine but he moved to QLD.. All the best

cheers thanks but yeh, rdae86 just lent me his compressor and i did it at home :thumbup: im living up near qld now too anyway :P