PDA

View Full Version : Tig Welders

willa
22nd August 2010, 04:47 PM
Hey guys,

been looking into getting a tig welder for the shed, and as its not going to used daily and probably never for aluminium, thinking about a a cheapish one of ebay for around $400.

Something along these lines: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/IGBT-Inverter-200-Amp-TIG-Pulse-Stick-Welder-/250685856579?pt=AU_Welding

Now obviously its not your '$4000 spec' welder, but has anyone had one of these, or something with similar specs?

cheers..

MR86ER
21st March 2011, 09:15 PM
cancel that idea and get a oxy if u learn with an oxy u can weld the ifletower

Nicko
22nd March 2011, 06:41 PM
an oxy? welcome to 1970

meadan
22nd March 2011, 08:38 PM
If you havent done an oxy course, dont get one.

On the cheap ebay TIG welders, you get what you pay for. It will probably work ok, but if it craps itself you cant be angry.

We had 4 chinese 200amp TIG welders at work, they lasted for maybe a weeks worth of everyday use before they died. So thats maybe a year in your garage?

I got a unitig TIG, came with australian warranty, and they have customer service here. Was slightly more, but seems worth it.

ae86 slide
23rd March 2011, 07:24 AM
From what I can find (may be wrong) but Unitig's seem to be about $1500, compared to the $300 ebay ones.
I get what your saying, 'you get what your pay for' but Im in the same boat as Willa only going to be used maybe 10 times a year.
So apart from average internal components causing the machines to fail prematurely, the operation of them is the same as a more expensive item?

willa
23rd March 2011, 08:15 AM
Well, funny this thread came back up actually! That tig in the link I posted up, they ended up in 99cent no reserve auctions, I scored one for $161!! With postage ended up being a scratch over 2hungey. I'm wrapped! I'm just tracking down a regulator but I'll buy one if the one I'm trying for doesn't work out, get gas and I'm away!

I do oxy and arc at trade school, and I'm getting pretty good at arc and not far behind with oxy either. Already have an arc at home so I won't be draining the tig machine life by using it's arc function.

meadan
23rd March 2011, 08:20 AM
Yeah, as I said. They will probably last you long enough for home use, ours lasted a solid 38 hours and they were being used non stop.

When I was looking for a TIG, the only problem I found was that if something breaks in them, you throw the machine away unless you can fix it yourself. The chips and boards have no support over here, and the leads usually even have different plugs.

Other than that, ours seemed to operate nicely, the current adjustment wasnt awesome, but they did everything theyre meant to once you adjust your technique to suit :)