PDA

View Full Version : Wheel outers (widening wheels

Hachi_Tom
24th August 2010, 09:22 PM
hi people,
inb4ZOMGUSESEARCHN00B!!

i searched and all i could find was that slydar does not do 14" and what you need is new wheel outers, i have not yet found where you buy them.

i am just wanting to add 2" or atleast 1.5" to a pair of 14x7 -5 wheels
i have the facilities at my disposal to do the work, but i just need to know where to get new outers.

Cheers,
Tom

--Redwork--
24th August 2010, 09:32 PM
Mungimods on Secretdrift.. He will do everything.. cut them apart, new outers. weld it back together all polished and pretty..

Hachi_Tom
24th August 2010, 10:36 PM
Mungimods on Secretdrift.. He will do everything.. cut them apart, new outers. weld it back together all polished and pretty..
Oh kool thanks, will talk to him if i cant get new outers,
what i am really looking for is just new outers, as id rather not spend money on the cost of getting someone to do the work for me..
if it comes to that i will though
but if there are any places i can order/buy new outers?

Tom

LittleRedSpirit
24th August 2010, 11:08 PM
Nobody tells you these things no matter how nicely you ask. Its not as simple as I want an outer so I will find the place and buy them, if you are willing to spend a minimum of $500 on tooling to get started you can do whatever you want. They will have to be made to suit your specific needs.

Hachi_Tom
24th August 2010, 11:29 PM
minimum 500 on tooling?
could you break this down a bit more???
might end up just getting him to do it hehe...

LittleRedSpirit
25th August 2010, 10:45 AM
Wheel outers are usually stamped out of 4mm aluminium sheet, or something similar. You need to make a die to punch into the sheet to form the wheel. The die costs a lot of money to make as its a massive hard steel shape made to exact specifications to clone the outers of the wheels you are doing. You can use the outer from some wheels with others, but the fitment around the centre and the originality factor will be compromised. You should also try and get them rewelded together and heat treated at the same time to ensure durability of the wheel for street conditions.

Long story short the hardest bit is finding the wheels to widen, then its just a matter of throwing money at the right people to make it happen.