PDA

View Full Version : Light Weighting, how much is illegal in this state?

Hazzard
29th August 2010, 02:01 AM
Hey guys, wanna do some light weighting on my t18, and was wondering how much i could do before it becomes illegal?

ae71
29th August 2010, 02:37 AM
over 8% weight change is illegal as it makes your brakes over effective. its just like your rolling diameter of your wheels has to be within 3%

slide86
29th August 2010, 03:10 AM
its SA dude........

lets be honest.........breathing out at the wrong time will most certainly constitute a defect.......

just only ever fill your fuel tank half full and remove all the loose change from the centre console, thats all you will get away with

Arch
29th August 2010, 10:53 AM
^^ dont forget to take a dump before you go for a drive

Hazzard
29th August 2010, 12:59 PM
so i couldnt even remove the backseats or anything like that?

genkin
29th August 2010, 06:59 PM
if you remove the back seats, the general rule is you also need to remove the seatbelts, seal up all the bolt holes and take it to regency to get it re-registered as a 2 seater. That would be the correct way of going about it.

squish_m8
29th August 2010, 07:09 PM
Seriously just do what you want. its S.A. so chances are you're going to be defected anyway

Fusion
29th August 2010, 08:09 PM
You can remove the rear seats. Seen it all over 4WD forums. As long as the vechile isn't being used for commercial vechiles it is generally consired fine. All depends on the cop on the night though.

Could also remove the sound deading from the rear half, and the sound deadning on the front firewall and still get away with it.

Get light alloy wheels instead of stockies. Good few KG's there.

Remove some dash parts, and aircon system if you have one.

Run without a stereo, or a very limited one.

ADR approved bucket seat . . ie Velo.

Change the spare to a space saver or I;ve heard of tube in a can (Don't know how good they are though).

All possible, depends how arsed you can be.

End of the day an E7 is and E7

Arch
30th August 2010, 09:14 AM
Legally dont need to run a spare.

genkin is correct on the rear seat removal, its best to get re registered as a 2 seater, dont need a full regency inspection to get this done, however if your car isnt the best probably best to steer clear of regency if you know what i mean

Andy San
30th August 2010, 10:19 AM
however you do need a spare to pass regency, so does that make it a legal requirement?

sly1300
30th August 2010, 11:42 AM
lol i dont think any of my cars have ever carried a spare. thank fuck for mobile phones.

dude, ur in the hills. u could just about cut the roof off and remove all doors/guards before the local woodside cop even noticed.

hell, i was even using my sr20 powered keto as a daily for a while. cops would see it parked every day at woody, he actually commented on my wheels in a good way. 14x8 -20 with 185/60's lol. didnt care, didnt even say anything bout the bright red fixed back. mind you i NEVER do any skids or run amok anywhere near the town.

but driving back thru town is another story altogether. back streets FTW.

but yer, go your hardest stripping weight in the t18. just dont get seen ripping helis around the hills towns, too many fuckwit locals WILL talk to local cops.... then youll have problems.

77crown
30th August 2010, 02:23 PM
if you remove the back seats, the general rule is you also need to remove the seatbelts, seal up all the bolt holes and take it to regency to get it re-registered as a 2 seater. That would be the correct way of going about it.

im looking at doing this...but can you put the seats back in later if i so wish to

munchen
30th August 2010, 06:04 PM
^^^you can only put the rear seats back in if you get another check done at regency to get it re-complied as a 4/5 seater

RRX-007
1st September 2010, 01:52 PM
how about all sound deadening, anything behind dash, then put rear seats and shit back in, will get rid of enough weight, and will look normal...

MINIHORSE
1st September 2010, 03:43 PM
Its a T-18....Most likely has -45kgs due to rust anyways.....

Ive never had any issues with "lightening" my cars, that said most of the polizei I've come across have been concerned with other things ie offset (the new target for south australian road users) and height, Running lighter wheels is a definite suggestion,]
Depending on what your using the car for removing too much weight is not hugely neccecary unless your actually tracking the thing, I recall KonaKid a few years back removed every single piece of his interior and heater etc sans the drivers seat and dash....that car was driven hard in the hills....Being warm and 12kg's heavier on a 3deg night is safer, more comfortable and therefore faster, than being freezing cold and 12kgs lighter

benzo
3rd September 2010, 04:31 PM
Being warm and 12kg's heavier on a 3deg night is safer, more comfortable and therefore faster, than being freezing cold and 12kgs lighter

Too true

My car is so so cold to drive in the hills late at night/early morning. Like, can't feel my hands :/