PDA

View Full Version : 'Custom' Bilsteins

AJPS
31st August 2010, 10:57 PM
Howdy guys

Been thinking about this for a while.

After doing 10,000 + kms with mine and selling quite a few sets to happy customers....

Just seeing if there is much interest for a reasonable run of bilstein front and rear shocks.

They will be based on a current short stroke unit im selling.

But instead there will be a new part number created with the ae86 gland nut and softer low speed compression valving. Rear will come with poly bushes as opposed to the soft rubber items.

Will see about shorter rears.

It will reduce the price and im currently having to buy 2 sets of gland nuts and swap out bushes.

Prefer to sell them as a set and the fronts into coilovers.

Prospective pricing will be about $1000 set for 4 dampers.

Thoughts, feedback, interest below.

KurtHS
31st August 2010, 11:51 PM
I'd be interested in a rear only set if possible as I already have your coilovers with Bilstein inserts, apparently.

AJPS
1st September 2010, 03:34 AM
No worries

they can be sold in pairs no worries

Adsie
1st September 2010, 07:58 AM
Interested. So if we already have your coilovers these front inserts are a direct replacement?

stx-16
1st September 2010, 10:47 AM
wil the fit in ra60 strut based coilovers

AJPS
2nd September 2010, 12:49 AM
Interested. So if we already have your coilovers these front inserts are a direct replacement?

Correct. May require a spacer depending on length but yeah

will they fit in ra60 strut based coilovers

Yes

Skylar
3rd September 2010, 02:31 AM
Do you have dyno charts? Like proper force vs velocity stuff with constant velocity plots if possible.

guessing it's 7/5 for springing?

AJPS
3rd September 2010, 08:25 PM
That will be supplied upon request when they start making them.

But honestly for 95% of people on here its unnecessary.

Want them to suit

6-8kg front and 4-6 rear

biggo
4th September 2010, 08:03 PM
I dunno dave, i think its pushing the envelope. Can get a set (4) of excel g's for less than half that and its good enought for %80 of the people on here.

Maybe if they were adjustable then yair.

ke70dave
5th September 2010, 09:17 AM
That will be supplied upon request when they start making them.

But honestly for 95% of people on here its unnecessary.

Want them to suit

6-8kg front and 4-6 rear

are you able to get your hands on the dyno charts?

i would be interested in them just to check them out, dyno charts for most shocks are hard to come by...

I dunno dave, i think its pushing the envelope. Can get a set (4) of excel g's for less than half that and its good enought for %80 of the people on here.

yer but they dont need adjusting, they have some variable valve business, pretty sweet design. though they do need to be appropriatly valved from the get-go.

and i have a set of excel G's at the moment, they are cheap yes, but theres a good reason for that, they arent that great. do the job yes, but thats about it. but like you say, they may be good enough for 80% of people on here, but i thnk 20% of us realise that excel G's arent completely up to the task. afterall excel G's are a factory replacement item, not really a "performance" shock. and theres a good reason why rally cars use proflex shocks that retail at ~$1500...per shock.

in saying that im not sure i can justify $1k+ in shocks at the moment...see how we go.

racsov
5th September 2010, 04:59 PM
love your work dave, are bilstein themselves making these or are you modifying an existing line?

slydar
6th September 2010, 10:49 AM
$1000 for a set doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

biggo, you are aware, most "club level" motorsport dudes use non adjustable bilsteins? IP etc.

dave, some speedway dudes also run billys, converted to coilover. is the rear shock your considering suitable? i think its a 2" o.d the ones the coilover kit are built for.

AJPS
6th September 2010, 12:53 PM

I want to cater for that 20%.

I use them in my own car.

How many times do people really adjust thier camber tops, coilovers, its nice, but in this car not necessary

Ive got limited time but...some light reading - http://www.allshocks.com/bilstein/html/faq.html#6

love your work dave, are bilstein themselves making these or are you modifying an existing line?

Thanks! They are modifying an exsisting line for me

$1000 for a set doesnt seem unreasonable to me.

biggo, you are aware, most "club level" motorsport dudes use non adjustable bilsteins? IP etc.

dave, some speedway dudes also run billys, converted to coilover. is the rear shock your considering suitable? i think its a 2" o.d the ones the coilover kit are built for.

$1000 a set is CHEAPER than they are now and is about the same price as HTS, TRD etc which go off quickly on undulating tarmac which I and many others drive their cars on.

I will send you some specs on the rears.

Cheers for the interest guys

This is really just for me and its more cost effective obviously the more people jump on

biggo
6th September 2010, 06:56 PM
What sort of window are you looking at? I have to buy some shocks in about 6-8 weeks

Skylar
7th September 2010, 07:23 PM
Non-adjustable is fine, as long as shock is matched to spring. In this case where he's aiming for it to work in a 2k range of springs then adjustable would be cool but still not necessary. Optimum handling comes at ~0.45 critical damping, but handling is still good between ~0.38 and 0.65. If the shocks were aimed to be about 0.5 for a 7kg spring then the damping would be at the lower end for a 8kg spring and higher for a 6kg, not that I've done calcs to confirm or anything.

Digressive valving, right? Where's the knee in the bump line? Critical damping of 7691Ns/m with 8kg spring sound about right? It's probably out a lot cos a lot of it was estimating weights. Do you have dyno of the other bilsteins?

AJPS
18th September 2010, 02:28 AM
bilstein want lots of numbers, more than I could ever possibly muster

so these will be on an as per basis, or you can send them to melbourne yourself...

Stain
16th October 2010, 06:33 PM
So its not happening?

AJPS
18th October 2010, 06:45 PM
can be done, just not a the price I had in mind

pm me